Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you sell breadcrumbs and bags of flour?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 6:51 am
We have like 5 bags of each and I dread throwing it out esp since money is tight and it upsets DH to waste, and have no one to donate to because I can't get anywhere right now. Just curious how common it is to sell mamash chametz.

AshkenazMom

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 7:09 am
We sold a huge bag full of raw chametz and kniot to a non-jew neighbour. She loves Jews and is always willing to help. If not, somtimes in local Shuls they sell it in bulk as a community.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 7:20 am
We do we sell all chometz do not even attempt to get rid of stuff. In fact I buy a fresh pie of pizza store in extra freezer and have for after yt our yearly tradition

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:04 am
Flour yes- it is not חמץ גמור only חשש חמץ
Breadcrumbs definitely not -חמץ גמור

amother
Caramel

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:18 am
amother Seagreen wrote:
We do we sell all chometz do not even attempt to get rid of stuff. In fact I buy a fresh pie of pizza store in extra freezer and have for after yt our yearly tradition

That is not ok lhalacha.
We def sell flour. Although some say only an unopened bag.
One time we were really tight financially and my kid was on a special diet. Her bread wasn't readily available all the time and when we saw it in stores I'd buy it in bulk. Enough to last a few weeks / months.
I also has baked challah for her and it was hard to get the texture just right and taste perfect and it was a good batch. Not to mention the flour was $$$$.
I was also highly pregnant and due right after pesach so I wasn't sure I'd be able to make more challah for my kid or go on the hunt for bread. (I ended up being almost 2 weeks overdue!)

Dh asked a shaalah and was told in that case it's extenuating circumstances. And that we should double wrap it and put it in a freezer where the kids won't have access to it and sell that freezer out those shelves of the freezer.
We did that. It felt so weird tbh. But that's what we did. Never was in the predicament before or after.
(Although I have had another kid right after pesach. Financially we weren't desperate ever again like that year. And my kids food is a lot more readily available. A neighbor who also has allergies/ food intolerance moved in and she made the same type of challah my kid likes and offered to make it for her if I'm not able to fit a few weeks. Bless her.
But I basically packed away pesach, that Thursday baked challah and had my baby on motzai shabbos. LOL
Sorry time over. Wink

Now go all your lor. And then whatever you do you'll know it's lshem shamayim and there is extra siatta dishmaya in that.

amother
Blushpink

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:21 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Flour yes- it is not חמץ גמור only חשש חמץ
Breadcrumbs definitely not -חמץ גמור

What about chips pringles etc which have I think malt barely or something like that in the ingredients? Is that chishash chometz?
What about whiskey?

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:23 am
amother Caramel wrote:
That is not ok lhalacha.
One time we were really tight financially and my kid was on a special diet. Her bread wasn't readily available all the time and when we saw it in stores I'd buy it in bulk. Enough to last a few weeks / months.
I also has baked challah for her and it was hard to get the texture just right and taste perfect and it was a good batch. Not to mention the flour was $$$$.
I was also highly pregnant and due right after pesach so I wasn't sure I'd be able to make more challah for my kid or go on the hunt for bread. (I ended up being almost 2 weeks overdue!)

Dh asked a shaalah and was told in that case it's extenuating circumstances. And that we should double wrap it and put it in a freezer where the kids won't have access to it and sell that freezer out those shelves of the freezer.
We did that. It felt so weird tbh. But that's what we did. Never was in the predicament before or after.
(Although I have had another kid right after pesach. Financially we weren't desperate ever again like that year. And my kids food is a lot more readily available. A neighbor who also has allergies/ food intolerance moved in and she made the same type of challah my kid likes and offered to make it for her if I'm not able to fit a few weeks. Bless her.
But I basically packed away pesach, that Thursday baked challah and had my baby on motzai shabbos. LOL
Sorry time over. Wink

Now go all your lor. And then whatever you do you'll know it's lshem shamayim and there is extra siatta dishmaya in that.

It actually is ok we asked a very reputable rav. Whats not ok is how u write this! And btw wha tdo you think all the stores do pizza bread etc they make the dough before yt freeze and sell

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:23 am
Yes, we sell our entire pantry real chometz, just like the supermarkets do.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 8:31 am
Everyone should ask a shaila. I grew up selling real chometz. Dh didn't. Except liquor they did because it's expensive....

I asked a shaila twice two different ravs. Two different years. Both times was given same psak.

1. Minhag can change and we can establish for ourselves to sell chometz gamor.

2. If you are selling liquor because it's expensive than you are selling real chometz and can sell any real chometz of value to you.

We changed our minhag and sell real chometz. I don't buy to sell but I sell what we have.

theoneandonly

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:02 am
Flour is not real chometz.
Breadcrumbs may be.
Many people sell real chometz and many people don't, you need you ask your LOR.

amother
Phlox

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:04 am
amother Caramel wrote:
That is not ok lhalacha.

Sorry time over. Wink

Most definitely ok lhalacha
- from my ultra yeshivish Rav

amother
Iris

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:28 am
We sell real chometz. I do try not to buy anything shortly before Pesach that won't get used up or to replace things that I finish like I usually would, but if we have it then we sell it. For example, I usually have a container of breadcrumbs that I'm in the middle of using and a spare in the pantry. As soon as I finish one and open the spare I put breadcrumbs on my shopping list and buy more the next time I'm in a store. I finished one canister a couple of weeks ago, but put breadcrumbs on my post Pesach shopping list instead of immediately replacing it.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:53 am
We sell chametz gamur (especially dh's v expensive whisky collection) and often challah as per our rav. I try to use up all my challah planning from Purim on but this year we went out for both meals on shabbos hagadol which threw my calculations off. Rav says it is fine.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 9:57 am
Took covid to make my husband realize that it is ok.
That’s what mechiras chametz is.
Of course one should ask their rav.
And flour is NOT chametz.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 10:00 am
We sell our whole pantry with tons of open stuff

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 11:08 am
amother Seagreen wrote:

I also sell chometz gamur and don't try to get rid of anything, but recently learned that it's not allowed to buy stuff that you only intend to use after pesach. It might be worth asking a shaila.

amother
Currant

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 11:10 am
amother Caramel wrote:
That is not ok lhalacha.

Sorry time over. Wink

Totally fine halachically. My rav is yeshivish and we sell chametz gamur. Some have minhag not to, but that's not halacha.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 11:47 am
We clean our home very well, and sell our chometz.

I grew up not selling any chometz and sealing the pantry of only spices or kitnios. It’s minhag and took adjusting to being ok selling Chametz I don’t buy new chometzdik snacks or unnecessary food close to Pesach bc I just still not fully comfortable with selling

greenteam

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:37 pm
Flour is actually real chometz as the majority of flour is washed before being processed

honey36

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:44 pm
greenteam wrote:
Flour is actually real chometz as the majority of flour is washed before being processed

Our Rav says it's ok. The flour is washed,/bleached or whatever, but he says the process does not make it chometz somehow.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics