Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Older gen vs younger gen
1  2  3  Next

Pesach cleaning generationally
I’m younger and clean like crazy  
 7%  [ 23 ]
I’m older and clean like crazy  
 1%  [ 4 ]
I’m younger and don’t go crazy  
 68%  [ 199 ]
I’m older and don’t go crazy  
 21%  [ 63 ]
Total Votes : 289

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:23 am
Have been discussing this with my friends lately- we’re all in our thirties. Most of us had moms who drove themselves crazy about pesach- I’m talking scrubbing floors with a toothbrush and cleaning every single book in the house. Using blumencranz book for every single product.
Meanwhile, all of us are super chill about pesach cleaning. Like we vacuum a few days before and are turning over our kitchens tonight or tomorrow. Our houses are generally clean and there isn’t much to do We just don’t get why our moms drove themselves crazy. From what I see, most of it has nothing to do with Halacha. Crumbs aren’t chometz if theyre less than a kazayis or not fit to eat. You don’t need to actually throw away your shampoos. You don’t need to scrub legos or clean computers with a toothpick. My mom is still doing this and keeps asking me if I’m doing it. Why would I?? Why would I drive myself crazy when it’s so unnecessary?
So I guess my question is, is this a generational thing? Or are there younger people who also do this kind of over the top cleaning?

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:28 am
Yup, my mom was always SO stressed about pesach cleaning and made a huge deal about it and did unnecessary things- I am super chill about it (obviously while keeping all the halachos) and I wonder if it’s in response to that

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:29 am
Maybe it would be helpful to say how old you are, and how old your mom is

I’m 45. My mom kah is 70. She didn’t clean with a toothpick or do what you described. At all

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:31 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
Maybe it would be helpful to say how old you are, and how old your mom is

I’m 45. My mom kah is 70. She didn’t clean with a toothpick or do what you described. At all

I said that we are in our thirties. My mom is in her sixties.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:32 am
Lol for this thread. My neighbor (60) is the one that the cleaning lady unpacks the cabinet and she gets inside to the corners with the toothpick.

Once she had her daughters cleaning lady before pesach and the CL remarked 'your daughter dont do so crazy'

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:34 am
I’m 50 and don’t go crazy. My mother A”h didn’t - even less than me. Maybe it has more to do with family background and Minhagim.

tweety1

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:38 am
Both my mil and mother both still go crazy. I never did. I never understood the craziness. I actually did wonder why it is so. I just thought that I don't want to associate with that craziness and the only way to do so is to be the complete opposite.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:38 am
I just turned fifty.

I think the difference is that the generation a bit older than me were mostly housewives (obviously this is community/family dependent). Housekeeping was their career, so to speak, and they took their cleaning VERY seriously. While the younger generation are more often than not working moms who have learned to do shortcuts. I'm sort of stuck in between, started off cleaning the way the older generation did it, but soon realized how not practical it was. I just can't, and then I realized that I don't have to.

I also have good cleaning help, which is altogether much more common nowadays, and I think that makes a difference.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:41 am
My mother cleans like that and I have horrible memories of getting ready for Pesach. She also cooks super basic and we were always hungry on Pesach. I clean much less than her but I start cooking earlier than she did because it's important to me that we eat delicious food on Pesach even with all our chumros.

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:44 am
I'm in middle and I go a little crazy What

UQT

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 12:46 am
These a huge gap between cleaning every piece of LEGO and turning over the day before

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:01 am
Im 44, my mother will be 70 after pesach. Neither one of us has ever used a tooth brush or gone crazy with cleaning.
I think its more one's personality than generational.

chestnut

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:03 am
It's a combination of communities and generational, I think.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:04 am
We were just talking about this with my siblings at the purim seuda. We hated pesach cleaning. My mother started in January and we scrubbed baking pans, folding chairs, checked recipes and benchers. We cleaned the linen closet, checked every sefer and spent hours organizing. We all do much less nowadays. I started shushan purim and I look for chametz and dont scrub each thing. I don’t have time and I hate it. I have such bad memories of pesach cleaning

Rappel

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:06 am
I start early, but I'm chilled. I like cooking pesach a little early and freezing a bunch. It's not a full spring cleaning here, but it's an upgrade from winter. I finish spring cleaning after pesach.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:09 am
chestnut wrote:
It's a combination of communities and generational, I think.

What do you mean by community? Each household can and will be different.

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:09 am
I think we all realized by corona when thousands of people had to make pesach at the last minute that it’s doable and can do basics just look for chametz without making yourself crazy

chestnut

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:13 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
What do you mean by community? Each household can and will be different.

Yes, but some communities as a whole do more.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:18 am
I think there is a personality type that enjoys publicly being a martyr and then complaining about it.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 1:18 am
I’m 40… grew up with super strict father… I’m so chilled… kashering tomorrow at 10 pm and then turning over… kids just had pizza … no stress lol… going to start cooking Monday… ordered the mains…

My father used to cook shmaltz and we didn’t by anything… I buy anything that has a hechsher. Being calm and stress free is the most important thing to me.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics