Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Annoying neighbors

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 4:58 pm
Venting here bec I don’t think there’s anything I can do

Neighbors have a bunch of boys who have tons of friends who play in their yard all day and all night. Basketball till late, football and baseball. It’s hard to put my little kids to sleep when at 8:30 there’s a schoolyard of kids outside. They also sometimes hit our home with the balls (once even broke a window by mistake) and it’s super super annoying. I’m extremely resentful but I guess there’s no solution other than move.

Can anyone give me a hug lol

amother
Foxglove

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 5:47 pm
Hug Hug

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 6:04 pm
Can I add? Ours also play basketball in the street till 8. They also have this annoying habit of parking their car blocking the sidewalk and leaving their driveway half empty. I get if you need to fit 2 cars in and can't, but why leave the driveway empty and block the sidewalk? I push a double stroller and have to go out into the street for 3 houses and it's super annoying

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 6:05 pm
amother Snow wrote:
Can I add? Ours also play basketball in the street till 8. They also have this annoying habit of parking their car blocking the sidewalk and leaving their driveway half empty. I get if you need to fit 2 cars in and can't, but why leave the driveway empty and block the sidewalk? I push a double stroller and have to go out into the street for 3 houses and it's super annoying

Thanks for all the hugs ladies. And amother snow here’s a hug for you

amother
Currant

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 8:39 pm
Hug

Can I add?
I have a neighbor who’s sidewalk hasn’t been fixed for at least 20 year. There are tree roots that make it uneven and I have tripped while pregnant there quite a few times. My kids have falls too and it’s hard with strollers.
We spoke to them a few times about it and they didn’t want to do anything about it.
I’m not the type but I wonder if anyone else on the block ever bothered to report.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 9:32 pm
For you OP Hug Very frustrating when these things happen.
Maybe you can shut windows, turn on fans so you might hear less noise.
If it's really a whole party out there nightly, I might speak with the parents.

amother
Snow

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 9:40 pm
amother Currant wrote:
Hug

Can I add?
I have a neighbor who’s sidewalk hasn’t been fixed for at least 20 year. There are tree roots that make it uneven and I have tripped while pregnant there quite a few times. My kids have falls too and it’s hard with strollers.
We spoke to them a few times about it and they didn’t want to do anything about it.
I’m not the type but I wonder if anyone else on the block ever bothered to report.

In my town the city would def get involved. I wonder if there's a way to nicely give them a heads-up that if someone gets injured it would be an expensive lawsuit. Maybe find one in the news you could discuss.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 9:55 pm
For the sidewalk find out what happens if you report it. Here the city/county will come around and fix it and bill the homeowner. So that will force them to fix it if it's that bad

amother
Trillium

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 10:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
Venting here bec I don’t think there’s anything I can do

Neighbors have a bunch of boys who have tons of friends who play in their yard all day and all night. Basketball till late, football and baseball. It’s hard to put my little kids to sleep when at 8:30 there’s a schoolyard of kids outside. They also sometimes hit our home with the balls (once even broke a window by mistake) and it’s super super annoying. I’m extremely resentful but I guess there’s no solution other than move.

Can anyone give me a hug lol

Or wait until you have big kids and realize 8:00 is early........

amother
Ebony

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 10:12 pm
Next door I have a rooster that sounds off multiple times a night (they don't just crow at dawn)

Separately, They also have chickens or maybe ducks that literally sound like they are being tortured randomly in the middle of the night.

amother
Trillium

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 10:16 pm
On my block the kids are playing basketball until 11:00 in the street (the "youngest" family on the block has a kid in high school).

Most of us have little kids too, but theyre used to having a party around them and going to sleep early anyway.

Point is. Dont be resentful of this. Theyre not having dance parties and blasting music. Youll get used to it.

The oldest families on the block have married off all their children and I presume live in quiet houses now (except when their einicklach come.....and join the games). They dont complain about the noise. I guess because wjen I moved in it was THEIR kids making the noise and they just got used to it and dont notice anymore.

(FTR, my big kids are girls or non sports kids so they are not part of this noise)

amother
Nasturtium

Post Sat, Apr 20 2024, 10:55 pm
amother Ebony wrote:
Next door I have a rooster that sounds off multiple times a night (they don't just crow at dawn)

Separately, They also have chickens or maybe ducks that literally sound like they are being tortured randomly in the middle of the night.

This made me lol!
We gave geese and ducks around here too. It's mating season and there is no sleep to be had!
My kids watch with them fighting over the females with a mix of horror and fascination during the day. And wake up from it at night. I sleep with an open window because I like the cold air at night and the kids want warm. I have to choose between sleeplessness due to the tortured noises or sleeplessness due to the heat....

Op, I had similar for many years. At 630, my kids were in bed and then we'd hear the neighbor at 730 yelling at her kids to get in the bath....
We used noise machines... but they didn't help to overpower her voice and my kids woke often. It was so frustrating. Didn't help that that particular neighbor was a <insert>.
Then we moved to a house, and spring summer and fall, even sometimes winter kids were our until late at night playing. And my kids weren't in bed at 630 anymore. But at 930 I didn't want them to hear the some of the kids their age were still out playing ball... so noise machine it was! It really helped.
Now my 10 yo is the one out at that hour some nights.... I hate it. But it is what it is.

Can you put noise machines on to add in some white noise?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette