Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Chumras for the win

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 4:53 pm
When I was newlymarried I had to go to mikvah on seder night. I was so self conscious I made up a story that my husbands family doesn't wear makeup on pesach. I'm married 15 years and since then I never wear makeup on pesach. It feels quite fresh and clean to give my skin a break and for all the times afterwards that I went to mikvah on pesach no one ever expected me to wear makeup. I was just thinking that because this year again I'm going on Yom tov night and makeup free.
At some point I may have to tell my future DILs the truth so they don't think they have to do this too!

agreer

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 4:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
When I was newlymarried I had to go to mikvah on seder night. I was so self conscious I made up a story that my husbands family doesn't wear makeup on pesach. I'm married 15 years and since then I never wear makeup on pesach. It feels quite fresh and clean to give my skin a break and for all the times afterwards that I went to mikvah on pesach no one ever expected me to wear makeup. I was just thinking that because this year again I'm going on Yom tov night and makeup free.
At some point I may have to tell my future DILs the truth so they don't think they have to do this too!

Love this!

I wouldn't tell the DILs ever.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 4:59 pm
That made me laugh! It's a good one! I had this shavuos in Shana rishona. I was sick thinking about it. Bh my hefsek wasn't clean so I had to go the 2nd night YT. My rav allowed me to put on minimal makeup.

Lemonade 2323

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:19 pm
amother OP wrote:

I'm laughing so hard! That's hilarious, but maybe don't tell your dils, you'll never live it down, ever!

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that!

patzer

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:29 pm
You win the bedtime - story contest tonight! Sleep
Your creativity and perseverance are award - worthy! Applause

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:36 pm
Someone saw his neighbor put a toilet on the curb for garbage pick up and said “wow I never heard of that chumra!” And ran in to tell DH he needs to get new toilets for Pesach! Turns out neighbor toilet was just broken!

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:43 pm
Lemonade 2323 wrote:
I'm laughing so hard! That's hilarious, but maybe don't tell your dils, you'll never live it down, ever!

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that!

That's cruel! Imagine the poor daughter in laws being forced to not wear makeup based on a made up minhag.

patzer

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:44 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
Someone saw his neighbor put a toilet on the curb for garbage pick up and said “wow I never heard of that chumra!” And ran in to tell DH he needs to get new toilets for Pesach! Turns out neighbor toilet was just broken!

He told this...to his own DH?

patzer

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:49 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
That's cruel! Imagine the poor daughter in laws being forced to not wear makeup based on a made up minhag.

That is a very valid point.

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:53 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:

OTOH they will have a much easier time whenever THEIR mikvah night ends up on Pesach!

giftedmom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:54 pm
What do you do on other Yomim Tovim tho

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:05 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
OTOH they will have a much easier time whenever THEIR mikvah night ends up on Pesach!

Or they can deal with it how they want. I hardly wear keakup for yt but I do on occasion, and I'd really resent being forced not to do it because someone else felt uncomfortable once.

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:08 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
Or they can deal with it how they want. I hardly wear keakup for yt but I do on occasion, and I'd really resent being forced not to do it because someone else felt uncomfortable once.

I don't take on all of my MIL's minhagim...

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:15 pm
This is a great example of how some ridiculous chumras probably started...

amother
Banana

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:20 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:

This is AWESOME!! Lol. Being bt I have a funny story for you..
I once went to a very senior kallah teacher’s house, like she is an expert in taharas hamishpacha. I used the bathroom and noticed that her toilet is a dark brown. Like the whole thing - stand, toilet bowl, top that’s the color of the toilet it’s not white. I thought to myself hmm maybe it’s for Tahara reasons, like that way if u accidentally look and see something but it’s not on white ur ok?
I wondered about this for years.
Finally when we were buying a toilet for the first time I actually called her and asked her if it was related to taharas hamishpacha or just a design thing Can't Believe It
She said nope just the color of the room and design. omg how embarrassing lol! But I’m glad I asked LOL

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:24 pm
I married a BT. Best idea ever. His family didn't have any "minhogim". Though FFB, neither does mine. We're cheerfully JPF. Bring on the cakes made with matzah meal, though my favorite recipes happen to be non-gebrocht. That's a problem when someone needs mezonos for early kiddush.

I like my face just fine and see no reason to paint it into oblivion. The lengths to which frum women go to prevent people from seeing their natural faces on Shabbos, YT and mikveh nights are pathetic. If
they used makeup only on a once in a while basis, people would be used to their natural look and all this subterfuge would be unnecessary.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:25 pm
patzer wrote:
He told this...to his own DH?

It's a joke. I heard it differently, that the man asked his neighbor, "wow, are you makpid to change your toilet seat?? We only cover it with aluminium foil."
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics