Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you tip the owner?

Do you tip the owner?
Yes  
 18%  [ 8 ]
No  
 81%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 44

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:40 pm
If you’re getting a service like manicure or waxing by the owner of the salon do you tip?
I got a manicure by the salon owner and when I went to pay she asked if I wanted to add anything. I wasn’t planning on tipping since she owns the place, not like she makes minimum wage and depends on tips. But I felt dumb since she asked me so I added a tip. Is this standard and I just don’t realize it?

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 2:09 am
No, it's NOT standard to tip the owner of a salon. She shouldn't have asked you.

singleagain

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:18 am
I never know if being helped by the owner and I always have whatever dollar amount filled into four that I hand over at the end

I wonder though, is it a new register or an old one? New register POS systems prob prompt each transaction for a tip. And maybe the owner often rings up for her staff so it's automatic for her to ask.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 9:35 am
I don't understand, if you would tip whoever does your nails, why would you pay less because it happened to be the owner?

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 9:36 am
Ugh not right of her to ask. She’s the owner and if she wants more then she needs to set higher prices, not pressure you when it’s time to pay.

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 9:43 am
amother Lightyellow wrote:
I don't understand, if you would tip whoever does your nails, why would you pay less because it happened to be the owner?

You're not paying less.

You're tipping an employee who is likely making slightly above minimum wage.
The tip is optional, given to employee for good service.
If the owner does your nails you reward her by patronizing her salon again.

https://www.vogue.com/article/.....vice.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 11:20 am
singleagain wrote:
I never know if being helped by the owner and I always have whatever dollar amount filled into four that I hand over at the end

I wonder though, is it a new register or an old one? New register POS systems prob prompt each transaction for a tip. And maybe the owner often rings up for her staff so it's automatic for her to ask.

I know that she owns the salon. It was not one of those registers where they turn it and you select a tip amount. She literally said "do you want to add anything"

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 11:25 am
I had this thought the other day. My daughter got a hair cut from a nice young woman who has a salon in the basement. She did a good job with my fearful daughter and was very reasonable. I paid her the fee and then asked myself when I left if I should have added on a few dollars. I agree its confusing sometimes.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 4:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know that she owns the salon. It was not one of those registers where they turn it and you select a tip amount. She literally said "do you want to add anything"

Personally I would hesitate to use her in the future unless her prices are extremely good.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette