Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
How much romaine lettuce?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 8:53 am
I live out of town to buy prechecked romaine lettuce this is my option:
" we will be limiting the orders to ONLY those staying here!! With two XL Bags (12 heads) per family limit!"
it seems like I have a choice of either buying 6 or 12 heads of romaine. nothing in between.
We are five people for the seder and the other meals. we will be eating all the meals at home. I'm trying to eat healthy and have a very big apetitie Wink
The lettuce will be ready on sunday right before pesach so I can't used it for this coming shabbos.
It's a big treat since it's been a really long time since we've gotten it before and we are big eaters. For context we easily eat two bags of iceberg lettuce mix for shabbos lunch and probably could eat more then that.
Is getting two bags crazy? should I just get one? Is there a way to make it last until shabbos chol hamoed or longer?
I have no concept...

jflower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:02 am
I would get 2 bags so that there's extra for salads. My favorite is slices of oranges and red onions on top of romaine lettuce, and a bit of olive oil and sugar. I add slivered almonds right before serving. Delicious.

Is another bag a very big expense, OP?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:10 am
jflower wrote:
I would get 2 bags so that there's extra for salads. My favorite is slices of oranges and red onions on top of romaine lettuce, and a bit of olive oil and sugar. I add slivered almonds right before serving. Delicious.

Is another bag a very big expense, OP?

the expense is not my concern. it's pricy but I'm ok with it. just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be wasteful. it sounds like if we will make salads than it will get used and that salad sounds delicious!
is the dressing really only olive oil and sugar, nothing else?

Thank you!

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:15 am
Ask how long the lettuce lasts
Last year it lasted us 1 week with no browning
I live in S. FL.

Reality

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:24 am
If the lettuce is still on the head it lasts much longer and should last the whole week easily.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:25 am
Reality wrote:
If the lettuce is still on the head it lasts much longer and should last the whole week easily.

it's not, it's washed and checked. e-mailed the vaad to see if they know...

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 9:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I live out of town to buy prechecked romaine lettuce this is my option:
" we will be limiting the orders to ONLY those staying here!! With two XL Bags (12 heads) per family limit!"
it seems like I have a choice of either buying 6 or 12 heads of romaine. nothing in between.
We are five people for the seder and the other meals. we will be eating all the meals at home. I'm trying to eat healthy and have a very big apetitie Wink
The lettuce will be ready on sunday right before pesach so I can't used it for this coming shabbos.
It's a big treat since it's been a really long time since we've gotten it before and we are big eaters. For context we easily eat two bags of iceberg lettuce mix for shabbos lunch and probably could eat more then that.
Is getting two bags crazy? should I just get one? Is there a way to make it last until shabbos chol hamoed or longer?
I have no concept...

We're not a big family (5) but eat a ton of lettuce and salads. I would buy the 2 bags and enjoy the treat.

amother OP wrote:
it's not, it's washed and checked. e-mailed the vaad to see if they know...

And if it's checked, that makes things easier for you!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 10:24 am
thanks everyone.
just put in my order.
now if anyone has any yummy recipes Wink

jflower

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 10:54 am
amother OP wrote:
the expense is not my concern. it's pricy but I'm ok with it. just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be wasteful. it sounds like if we will make salads than it will get used and that salad sounds delicious!
is the dressing really only olive oil and sugar, nothing else?

Thank you!

Just checked the recipe to make sure I was giving you accurate info. Yes, the dressing is just olive oil and a bit of sugar. That's it.

esther7

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 11:54 am
To help it last as long as possible, put it in a 2 gal Ziploc bag with a few pieces of paper towel all around ( on the bottom, sides, in between the pieces) let as much air out as possible and seal.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen