Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
ISO fish recipes, non Gebroks minimal ingredients

out-of-towner

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 11:20 am
DH insists on fish at every Shabbos or YT meal. I think it's a Chassidish thing. Looking for recipes with minimal ingredients and peel-able veggies. Open to any fish that is cooked, or even that uses canned tuna. TIA!

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 12:27 pm
LEMON-HERB ROASTED COD WITH CRISPY GARLIC POTATOES

Excerpt From: America's Test Kitchen;. “Foolproof Fish: Modern Recipes for Everyone, Everywhere
SERVES 4

SUBSTITUTIONS BLACK SEA BASS • HADDOCK • HAKE • POLLOCK

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1½ pounds russet potatoes, unpeeled, sliced into ¼-inch-thick rounds
3 garlic cloves, minced
¾ teaspoon table salt, divided
½ teaspoon pepper, divided
4 (6- to 8-ounce) skinless cod fillets, 1 inch thick
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces - can sub vegan butter
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 thin lemon slices

1 | Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Brush rimmed baking sheet with 1 tablespoon oil. Combine potatoes, garlic, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper in bowl. Microwave until potatoes are just tender, 12 to 14 minutes.

2 | Shingle potatoes into 4 rectangular piles that measure roughly 4 by 6 inches on prepared sheet. Pat cod dry with paper towels, sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper, and lay 1 fillet skinned “side down on each potato pile. Place butter, thyme sprigs, and lemon slices on top of cod.
3 | Roast until fish flakes apart when gently prodded with paring knife and registers 135 degrees, 15 to 18 minutes. Slide spatula underneath potatoes and cod, gently transfer to individual plates, and serve

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS

White fish and potatoes may most famously mingle in Fish and Chips (this page), but the combination is equally delicious in this ingenious recipe, which delivers perfectly roasted cod and potatoes—all in one sheet pan. We roasted fillets in elegant fashion, atop beds of shingled sliced spuds, which gave the quick-cooking fish some insulation from the sheet pan. Slicing and microwaving starchy russets with garlic and oil before roasting jump-started their cooking so the potatoes and fish finished at the same time. To infuse the mild cod with flavor, we topped each fillet with butter, thyme sprigs, and slices of lemon, allowing the three components to gently baste and season the cod as it roasted. “In the end, we were met with four beautiful portions of rich, tender cod and fragrant, crisp potatoes.

amother
Lily

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 12:49 pm
Sweet & sour fish (easy & lasts weeks in the fridge)

Appetizer size pieces of fish (I use salmon fillet but whitefish also works well)
Onions, sliced
Peppercorns
Bay leaves
Sugar
Vinegar

Cut onions, separate the rings and put in the bottom of a pan (I usually use a 9x13 but before a Yom Tov I sometimes use a full size one). Add peppercorns (I usually pour them into the lid of the container and put in 1-2 layers) and bay leaves (at least 2-3 but I store in smaller containers so I like to have at least one per container). Sprinkle generously with sugar (Splenda also works well). Add the fish slices leaving space between them. Add vinegar (white) to cover the bottom of the pan, about 1/2 inch deep. Add hot water (about the same amount). Cover tightly and bake at 350F for 40min. Let cool at least a little before moving to container(s). Make sure each container has bay leaf, peppercorn and onion then divide the liquid evenly. Refrigerate.

I have started using a piece of parchment paper with slits cut in it. I put it on top of the onions & spices, put down a layer of fish pieces then fold it over & put another layer.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics