Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
If you bulk fry onions for pesach...
1  2  Next

challah58

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:18 pm
What's the best way you've found? How many lbs of onions do you do?

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:22 pm
About 5 lbs for family of 5. Don't use it in everything. I use it for spaghetti squash kugel, cholent, baby potatoes and maybe 1 more thing.
Tastier in the frying pan than in the crockpot or oven.

amother
Apple

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:25 pm
Currently cooking down about 10 lbs overnight in the slow cooker for the first time. Will keep you updated!

amother
Daphne

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:28 pm
I do it in the oven. Cuts loads of onions put into 9 by 13, I do multiple pans. Pour over oil generously. Cover and bake on 350 for about 3 hours

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:34 pm
amother Daphne wrote:
I do it in the oven. Cuts loads of onions put into 9 by 13, I do multiple pans. Pour over oil generously. Cover and bake on 350 for about 3 hours

Same.

challah58

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:36 pm
Thanks! Should've mentioned I don't have a pesach slow cooker, but I'd love to hear how much you get out of that once it's done Smile If you do it in the oven, do you mix it at all as it's cooking?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:37 pm
challah58 wrote:
Thanks! Should've mentioned I don't have a pesach slow cooker, but I'd love to hear how much you get out of that once it's done Smile If you do it in the oven, do you mix it at all as it's cooking?

I stir occasionally.

cheese cake

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 6:53 pm
https://betweencarpools.com/th.....ions/

lamplighter

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:08 pm
How do you prevent it from being liquedy? Do you do it covered or uncovered.

amother
Apple

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 2:18 pm
amother Apple wrote:
Currently cooking down about 10 lbs overnight in the slow cooker for the first time. Will keep you updated!

Update: they cooked down a lot but didn't get brown. I'll probably set them on low again after Shabbos until Sunday morning.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 7:17 pm
Do you add any sugar to carmelize them? Does anyone do this in a frying pan on top of the stove? It would certainly be faster in the oven, but does it produce the same overall glazing?

anonymrs

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 9:22 pm
I do it in a low temp oven, covered. I leave it in overnight.

Vibes

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 11:32 am
You could even add in a splash of dry red wine/cooking wine to make it even yummier (make sure to cook out the alcohol)

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 11:36 am
Vibes wrote:
You could even add in a splash of dry red wine/cooking wine to make it even yummier (make sure to cook out the alcohol)

The alcohol in a splash of red wine would not be dangerous even if a child ate the entire tray.

Vibes

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 11:43 am
Are you asking or saying? If you're asking no it wouldn't be. Make sure to cook out alcohol - put it in the beginning and simmer for ages. It should be really tasty

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 12:52 pm
Any tips or tricks for slicing so many onions? Is there a way to do it in the Braun?

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 12:57 pm
amother Lily wrote:
Any tips or tricks for slicing so many onions? Is there a way to do it in the Braun?

Bought a chopper.
I'll slice and my kids will chop in the chopper.
Even if I decide I don't want to store it for next year, still worth buying for keeping the kids busy and getting my cooking done.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....image

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 1:01 pm
Vibes wrote:
Are you asking or saying? If you're asking no it wouldn't be. Make sure to cook out alcohol - put it in the beginning and simmer for ages. It should be really tasty

I'm saying not asking. It's not necessary to cook out the alcohol from a splash of wine in a tray of onions. Cooking it with the onions will give it a nice taste but there's no need for concern about the alcohol.

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 1:03 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Do you add any sugar to carmelize them? Does anyone do this in a frying pan on top of the stove? It would certainly be faster in the oven, but does it produce the same overall glazing?

I do it on the stove in my biggest frying pan. I don't always have success with the other shortcuts and it's not worth it for me. If I'm already in the kitchen it's not such a big deal to occasionally stir it and this way I know I'll like the results.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Apr 14 2024, 2:07 pm
There are no shortcuts when it comes to frying onions. It takes time.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics