Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Husband driving ubers or lyft
Previous  1  2  3

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 8:38 am
OP.... If your DH doesn't mind driving in NYC, and can schlep boxes the kosher grocery I work at can use a driver. The benefit for that over Uber/Lyft is it can probably be right away and steady....

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 9:11 am
amother OP wrote:
tysm for the chizuk. I dont know why I am ashamed. I dont want my family members to find out if he does this. I have to get over myself though.

I have family members who work as drivers full time or have done that only between jobs.
There’s a lot of demand for that especially in town…

I never viewed them negatively because of this.
I actually gain respect for a man who will do what it takes to bring in some money for his family even if it’s not what they imagined doing

amother
Impatiens

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 9:33 am
I live in Baltimore. There is a frum uber (called Jewber) that people use for local drives. But there are a bunch that do airport drves and long distance drives. When my son was fahering out of town, we found out there were a few other boys fahering the same shabbos. We all chipped in and paid a driver to drive the boys.

This is done all the time.

I have 2 single nephews that drive/have driven in lakewood and make enough to pay rent (shared apartments, etc) and bills.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 11:27 am
amother OP wrote:
we are in a rly bad spot financially, dh isnt doing well and isnt bringing much money in. whatever he makes goes straight to his cc debt. he has $30 in his bank account now. I was so frustrated the other night I mentioned to him to maybe look into driving around ubers or lyft. hes thinking of doing it. but I am embarassed if he does it in our neighborhood where people know us. do I just get over my pride?

Nothing to be embarrassed about. You can be proud of him. Its honest work.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 1:17 pm
When my son was in an out of town yeshiva, they used to hire a driver for the off shabbosim. It’s an official job to be a private driver. Nothing wrong with it. The pay is good.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 7:05 pm
This thread has been given me chizuk to pursue a job which felt below me. Ty to all and hatzlacha op

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 6:52 pm
Round by us there are not enough frum drivers especially those who have bigger cars and take car seats. The few are really in demand. 100% go for it.

Think about this - doctors deal with naked bodies all the time and see all manner of gross body fluids. But they are respected. Nurses clean faeces and are respected.

You can drive a car like a mensch and be respected- and trusted and valued. We would all be happier with a frum driver.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 7:56 pm
Safety issues aside, being a taxi driver would be my dream job.

amother
Azalea

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 10:00 pm
My brother did this a few years ago when he was looking for another job.
It really helped them a lot.
With the support of his wife he also worked some odd hours to maximise what he could make.
Like 1am New Year’s Eve when prices are higher and there’s lots of demand etc
He has a lease on a nicer car and kept it really clean and nice, with bottles of water and gum for the passengers.
So his kids saw it as something special not nebach at all

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 11:21 pm
Rides to Fly does private trips to and from the airport, etc. I would assume they pay well because they charge a premium for people to know they are reliable and have good drivers.
My husband also uses a private driver for work because he travels a lot. He pays a lot! Your husband should spread the word, many well-off businessmen who travel a lot use drivers.

ima22

Post Sat, Apr 13 2024, 11:24 pm
Yes, another vote for getting over pride. What is embarrassing about earning an honest income to support your family?!?!?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics