Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Find Your Cousins For the ordinary folk
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 12:16 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
Related

How?

amother
Begonia

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 3:34 am
amother Blue wrote:
I'm also wondering if anyone else has a family name where everyone with that name is related.

Hi

amother
Outerspace

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 5:58 am
amother Crimson wrote:
Batei machse in the old city

My grandfather was born in Batei Machse. When he was a child, they moved from there to Meah Shearim (which was then newly built).

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 6:29 am
amother Beige wrote:
Yes! I’m an Astrakhan/Astrachan descendent. Is there a way we can connect? I don’t want to list my username, as it would give away my identity as Astrakhan is such an uncommon name. Now I’m curious if we have talked before & have shared family history. I can make a temporary email address if you’d like to reach out to me. I have been able to document my direct Astrakhan family line to Belarus to about 1800, but have been unable to connect to some other Astrakhan families I have info about.

Yes! Let’s connect!

rdmom

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 8:23 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
I’m related to the green family from Dezh

Well then. Hi cousin.

amother
NeonOrange

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 8:32 am
rdmom wrote:
Well then. Hi cousin.

I'm also related to Green from Dezh

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 8:40 am
amother Yellow wrote:
To the Bergman, batei machse mishpacha, are you related to Puah Shteiner?
Forever My Jerusalem is one of my favorite books!

Yes! Idk exactly how. She mentions relatives of hers in the book who I recognize as my relatives.

amother
Sage

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 8:41 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
They aren't the only members of the Munk family married to Jakobovits. I'm related to the other one. (And the Jakobovits with a "c" and a "k" are related)

Are the jacobovitz's leviim? I know a family that the name used to be yakobovich and their leviyim. I wonder if it's the same family.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 8:58 am
amother Sage wrote:
Are the jacobovitz's leviim? I know a family that the name used to be yakobovich and their leviyim. I wonder if it's the same family.

Not the ones that I'm related to.

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 9:18 am
I'm very skeptical when people say "everyone with ______ last name is related."
Especially considering that that when someone heard my last name and said "Oh, you're related to the ______s that live _________." And when I said no, she was shocked and said that they told her that everyone with their last name is related. Which is evidently not true.

Unique last names are a great starting point but doesn't guarantee anything.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 9:54 am
My family is also an old yerushalmi family. We also had some Rivlins who married in, so there are Rivlins we are related to, but also many Rivlins that we aren't related to.

For all those of you who posted they are related to Rivlin or other old yerushalmi families, none of the last names you posted are related to me as far as I know. We have a family tree going back ~10 generations.

And while most of the old yerushalmi famies did marry each other, not everyone is directly related, lots related through marriage only. But if any of us are related, hi potential cousins or people who I have cousins in common with!

If any of you want to post more last names, I'm really interested! Posting mine would out me though, so I'm not ready for that.

rdmom

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 10:06 am
Wow. That’s so cool. I just found two cousins on here. Or it might even be a sister in law. All related to this one great great grandfather.
Would love to know how we are related.
It’s so cool.

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 10:20 am
rdmom wrote:
I know the green family from Romania. The great great grandfather was the shochet in Dezh. Any relation?

Yes! I married into the family. Are you related?

amother
Zinnia

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 10:22 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
I’m related to the green family from Dezh

Then we are related, Hi!

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 10:32 am
amother Sunflower wrote:
I'm very skeptical when people say "everyone with ______ last name is related."
Especially considering that that when someone heard my last name and said "Oh, you're related to the ______s that live _________." And when I said no, she was shocked and said that they told her that everyone with their last name is related. Which is evidently not true.

Unique last names are a great starting point but doesn't guarantee anything.

Obviously, there's no guarantee. My married name is pretty unique but not everyone with the name is related. Not even close.

But when it's passed down that all the ___s are related, it likely means that most are related. Obviously no guarantee. But I've heard about my family name being all related, and heard another person say that about the name as well.

There is another name further back in my family history where the origin of the name is documented and from what I've seen everyone with that name seems to be related many times over. But I haven't heard specifically that they're all related.

crystal

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 10:32 am
chili-n-cholent wrote:
Was he king of poland for one day? Then we are descended from him and I don't think we are so super chassidish honestly

Off topic but... This sounds like a story I'd love to hear if you want to share!

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 10:54 am
crystal wrote:
Off topic but... This sounds like a story I'd love to hear if you want to share!

It is Reb Shual Katzenellenbogen.

See link for story.

https://www.chabad.org/library.....n.htm

I am a descendant

amother
Black

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 10:54 am
amother Peachpuff wrote:
My family is also an old yerushalmi family. We also had some Rivlins who married in, so there are Rivlins we are related to, but also many Rivlins that we aren't related to.

For all those of you who posted they are related to Rivlin or other old yerushalmi families, none of the last names you posted are related to me as far as I know. We have a family tree going back ~10 generations.

And while most of the old yerushalmi famies did marry each other, not everyone is directly related, lots related through marriage only. But if any of us are related, hi potential cousins or people who I have cousins in common with!

If any of you want to post more last names, I'm really interested! Posting mine would out me though, so I'm not ready for that.

I don’t know if this was posted yet, but also apparently Solomon (however it’s spelled in English)- someone married Chana Solomon. Also Leah Eisenman married someone Goldberg.

crystal

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 11:18 am
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
It is Reb Shual Katzenellenbogen.

See link for story.

https://www.chabad.org/library.....n.htm

I am a descendant

Wow thank you! Fascinating!

rdmom

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 11:29 am
amother Zinnia wrote:
Yes! I married into the family. Are you related?

I was born into the family.
So I guess we are related.
Page 7 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics