Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Kallah having IV fluids wedding day
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Oatmeal

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:30 am
amother Peach wrote:
Yes this is how I read it too, which to me is worrisome.

No it’s not… not being able to eat on your wedding day from nerves isn’t the same as an eating disorder.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:54 am
Does she have time to spend an hour or so getting an IV on her wedding day? Just drink at regular intervals.

chestnut

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 10:24 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:
No it’s not… not being able to eat on your wedding day from nerves isn’t the same as an eating disorder.

She probably meant the part of OP's daughter not eating much on a regular base.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 10:29 am
I'm a bad faster and I had a bad cold and wasn't feeling good the whole week of my wedding. My Rav said not to fast.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 10:56 am
A lot of girls nowadays don't fast (I got married within the last 5 years)

exhausted

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 11:31 am
If you think she won't want to eat, at least have Gatorade or Powerade with you.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 11:31 am
What time is everyine having their chupa that they arent fasting the majority of the day?

We have our chupas around 3.30/4pm and then break the fast in the yichud room.

I didnt fast cos we had it on rosh chodesh.

Op did you think abiut that or is a date already booked?

essie14

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 11:58 am
amother Magenta wrote:
What time is everyine having their chupa that they arent fasting the majority of the day?

I've only been to Sunday weddings that are early. Most weddings are on weeknights. Most chuppahs are at 6/7/8 pm.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 12:02 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
What's a banana bag??

A replenishment of fluid an electrolytes. It’s hospital slang for the yellow color.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone heard of these places that do iv drips of fluids and vitamins… they have one for wedding day. My daughter doesn’t eat much and on her wedding day would love her to have the energy without the fear of fainting from so much dancing and nerves. Has anyone had this done for their daughter on their wedding day. Is it safe, can it cause any bad reactions. I feel like it’s almost like getting iv fluid when dehydrated , which isn’t bad

Just beware of amateur people doing this. you need to make sure the needles are properly sanitized.
recently listened to a podcast where something like this went terribly wrong.
Dont fall for the marketing of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Tnhnn45Vg

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:37 pm
watergirl wrote:
These IV fluids are very trendy on IG, you see the "famous" IG influencers going for IV drips from time to time when a company sponsors it. I believe this is why OP's daughter is thinking this is a good idea? As opposed to asking your rav if she has to even should be fasting at all.

exactly

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 11:06 pm
amother Pearl wrote:
A lot of girls nowadays don't fast (I got married within the last 5 years)

Why don't they? They all don't fast well?

boysrus

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 11:14 pm
amother Magenta wrote:

sounds like you are in England. In America, chuppahs are usually about 7pm. so its a very long day to fast.

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 11:15 pm
It's extremely easy to get a heter not to fast. Many people I know didn't both in litvish and chassidish circles. It's not like fasting on YK.

amother
Yarrow

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 12:49 am
Chayalle wrote:
I don't have any daughters who fast easily, to be honest.
If you went thru passing out after the chuppah and feeling nauseous and dizzy for the rest of your wedding, though, you wouldn't even ask me this question.
I'm not letting any of my daughters experience that. It isn't meaningful, trust me on that one.

One of my close friends didn't fast well but her Rabbi told her to fast anyway. She felt faint and broke her fast after pictures/just before guests started coming, but had to keep running out of the reception to throw up, and threw up at the chuppah itself. She didn't have much energy to dance, either.

I agree with you that if fasting is going to negatively impact the wedding, then the kallah (or chatan) shouldn't fast. However, I'm a little confused that you say you won't "let" your daughters fast. Isn't it their choice?

chestnut

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 1:05 am
amother Yarrow wrote:
One of my close friends didn't fast well but her Rabbi told her to fast anyway. She felt faint and broke her fast after pictures/just before guests started coming, but had to keep running out of the reception to throw up, and threw up at the chuppah itself. She didn't have much energy to dance, either.

I agree with you that if fasting is going to negatively impact the wedding, then the kallah (or chatan) shouldn't fast. However, I'm a little confused that you say you won't "let" your daughters fast. Isn't it their choice?

Gosh, poor girl!
I'm sure Chayalle won't literally "not let her daughters to fast"

amother
Daylily

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 1:06 am
My DH is mesader kiddushin quite often. He always tells the chosson, it's a beautiful minhag to fast on your wedding day. But it's more important not to come to the wedding with a headache. So if you don't fast well, don't fast!

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 2:01 am
amother Pear wrote:
A replenishment of fluid an electrolytes. It’s hospital slang for the yellow color.

We don't call them that in our hospital. We give them to alcoholics and homeless people who have had no calories or depleted their thiamine levels for days/weeks.
Not someone who just fasted for a few hours.
I guess the US healthcare system is different.
Your daughter doesn't need high dose iv thiamine.
She should eat and drink, not have an IV. That is crazy.

DrMom

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 2:05 am
amother Lilac wrote:
We don't call them that in our hospital. We give them to alcoholics and homeless people who have had no calories or depleted their thiamine levels for days/weeks.
Not someone who just fasted for a few hours.
I guess the US healthcare system is different.
Your daughter doesn't need high dose iv thiamine.
She should eat and drink, not have an IV. That is crazy.

This.

Have people lost their minds?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Apr 12 2024, 10:05 am
amother Yarrow wrote:

Yep, maybe I'm your close friend.
Kidding, cuz there was no Rabbi consult. It was just something I thought I had to do. So I make sure my girls know they don't have to. I guess that's what I mean by "let". I let them know they have a choice, and what the repercussions might be if they fast.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics