Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How and how long does it take to kasher your kitchen sink
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:59 pm
for pesach?
If only a little hits the sink from the kashering pot, it could take hours to kasher the sink. How do you do it and how long does it take you?
Also how do you kasher the faucet and how long does it take you?

eta, I have 2 inches between the cabinet and the top of the faucet. How do I kasher that top rounded part of faucet?

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:00 pm
We use a blowtorch for most of the sink. Takes under 10 minutes. I use the kashering pot for the faucet, but that goes pretty quickly. (It's not like I can pour on the underside of the faucet...)

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
for pesach?
If only a little hits the sink from the kashering pot, it could take hours to kasher the sink. How do you do it and how long does it take you?

Why would only a little hit the sink? Use a large pot. It takes a few rounds of rebooking but shouldn’t be that long

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 1:12 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
We use a blowtorch for most of the sink. Takes under 10 minutes. I use the kashering pot for the faucet, but that goes pretty quickly. (It's not like I can pour on the underside of the faucet...)
rabbi told us to be careful but to flick water at undersurface of faucet also.

Blowtorch safe for sink?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 1:15 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Why would only a little hit the sink? Use a large pot. It takes a few rounds of rebooking but shouldn’t be that long
rabbi explained that only the first amount of water that hits the sink, kashers that small area, he said size of nickel? So of have to redo over and over size of nickel it will take a long time?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 1:17 pm
Ceramic sink.

Scrub it out thoroughly.
Pout boiling water everywhere, because, why not?
Insert sink liner.

Job done.

giftedmom

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 1:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
for pesach?

A few minutes. How big is your sink?

giftedmom

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 1:19 pm
amother OP wrote:
rabbi explained that only the first amount of water that hits the sink, kashers that small area, he said size of nickel? So of have to redo over and over size of nickel it will take a long time?

What does that even mean? What kind of rabbi is this

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 1:34 pm
I use an electric kettle. Water is still boiling when I pour. Only the area touched by the water directly kashers, and it's small, but it only takes a few minutes to cover the entire sink and faucet.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 1:36 pm
https://youtu.be/8y-z96D6zSY

5:40 starts sinks. Shows how to actually do it.

readreread

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 1:39 pm
2 minutes. Boil water. Pour on stainless steel sink and make sure it hits all the spots. Done.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 1:44 pm
amother OP wrote:

I dont think many rabbis hold this way.
We pour the boiled water all o er the sink. Thats it. Takes about 30 seconds.

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 3:01 pm
amother OP wrote:
rabbi told us to be careful but to flick water at undersurface of faucet also.

Blowtorch safe for sink?

Blowtorch is perfectly safe on a stainless steel sink. (Not faucet, many faucets are not real metal, just with a thin metal veneer. Found out the hard way.)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:38 pm
amother Melon wrote:
https://youtu.be/8y-z96D6zSY

5:40 starts sinks. Shows how to actually do it.
thanks this helps except I dont understand what he said about arc hitting a vertical area, it doesnt matter for kashering but I'm just wondering?
its a regular kitchen sink.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:39 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Ceramic sink.

Scrub it out thoroughly.
Pout boiling water everywhere, because, why not?
Insert sink liner.

Job done.
Water backed up through the bottom of the liner and then it's a kashrus problem.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:41 pm
amother Melon wrote:
I use an electric kettle. Water is still boiling when I pour. Only the area touched by the water directly kashers, and it's small, but it only takes a few minutes to cover the entire sink and faucet.
I think this is what he meant that it's only a small area so have to keep redoing it. but star K video shows him using a continuous stream of water. So is it as long as water doesn't stop it can still kasher even a large area? or is it only the first stream of water that hits, kashers?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
for pesach?

We use 2 huge metal kashering urns that are brought to a boil simultaneously. It takes a while for the water to boil up. We put towels on the counter behind the sink and on the floor in front of the sink while it's boiling, and we also rest during that time. : )
Dh also heats up a stone in a holder at the same time. He holds that the added heat is necessary, if I don't want to use a sink insert on pesach.
It takes 2 of those urns for each sink. Takes a total of 120 seconds for dh to kasher a sink; holding the boiling stone on its long stick holder over the sink, and pouring the boiling water, as he moves the stone and pours the water all around.
Then we fill and boil up the 2 urns again. And kasher the next sink.
Done.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:42 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We use 2 huge metal kashering urns that are brought to a boil simultaneously. It takes a while for the water to boil up. We rest during that time.
It takes 2 of those urns for each sink. Takes a total of 120 seconds for dh to kasher a sink.
Then we fill and boil up the 2 urns again. And kasher the next sink.
Done.
and you just pour it continuously all around?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:43 pm
Also we only have about 2 inches between the curved top of faucet and cabinet above it, so how do we pour water over that?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
and you just pour it continuously all around?

I added information about a heated stone that dh uses, above.
Yes just pour continuously all around with 2 huge ready boiling urns for each sink to cover whole surface.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Apr 11 2024, 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics