Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What spices for cholent
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:06 am
amother Anemone wrote:
I don’t use any sauces or soup mixes. I only use the original spices and my cholent has so much flavor I have turned ppl who had aversions to cholent into cholent lovers when they tasted mine. I posted before what I put in
Also make sure ur using sea salt not table salt. Brings out the flavor more

I use celtic sea salt.

will check previous posts

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:07 am
smilethere wrote:
Pereg Curry Powder. about a tablespoon in a large pot.
Been using it for years in my traditional chulent, and everybody talks about it. Gives it a depth and a hint of exotic without being spicy.

what spice is in it? coriander and cumin which I am hesitant about?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:08 am
amother Anemone wrote:
Put in alot of garlic powder onion powder more paprika maybe the regular pepper isn’t working for you? I use the slightly bigger fancy pepper you cld put in small amt of that. Fry the onions and meat. Some coconut sugar I do chili powder not too much just 2-3 shakes a pinch of red pepper flakes

when you say slightly bigger fancy peeper do you mean red pepper flakes you wrote at the end of post?

amother
Red

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:09 am
amother OP wrote:
doesnt sriracha have sugar and other stuff in it?

unless I am confusing it with sriracha sauce?

I add a dash of Cholula hot sauce and it adds a nice heat without being too much. It has no sugar.

Busybee5

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:10 am
I used to fry onions when my kids were little but now a couple of my kids won't touch anything that's seen an onion so I just plonk everything into a slow cooker.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:10 am
How old is your son? Maybe he can help spice it to his satisfaction. We never use salt. We put in onion and garlic powder, bbq sauce, turmeric paprika honey. Sometimes mustard

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:31 am
amother OP wrote:
when you say slightly bigger fancy peeper do you mean red pepper flakes you wrote at the end of post?

No that is in addition to that. The gefen extra fancy black pepper that type or I’ve used from pereg. I personally use a lot and then some crushed red pepper (not too much kids will complain too spicy )

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:40 am
amother Anemone wrote:
No that is in addition to that. The gefen extra fancy black pepper that type or I’ve used from pereg. I personally use a lot and then some crushed red pepper (not too much kids will complain too spicy )

oh its extra fancy black pepper. I thought red.

and then a little red pepper flakes.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 9:59 am
should I grate the garlic?

will it be a stronger flavour?

amother
Red

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 10:00 am
amother OP wrote:
should I grate the garlic?

will it be a stronger flavour?

If you're cooking the garlic is doesn't matter how you chop it or grate it. The flavor won't change.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 10:01 am
amother Red wrote:
If you're cooking the garlic is doesn't matter how you chop it or grate it. The flavor won't change.

only when raw it makes a difference?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 10:46 am
I would tell you to add smoked paprika the first. It’s not so exotic and adds good flavor

Oh and let the spices brown a little in the oil

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 10:52 am
I use ketchup, barbecue sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Sometimes throw in a little cumin. It has a very rich flavor.

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 10:54 am
I use: salt
Pepper
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Paprika
Cumin
A bit of honey
Red pepper flakes
(And sometimes sautéed onions , if I have patience)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 11:07 am
is chilli powder plain chilli or has other spices mixed in?

Imabubby60

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 12:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
ds keeps saying my cholent isnt spicy.

I should maybe put in ketchup.

I like to use clean ingredients.

I put in salt red paprika powder and pepper,

what spice can I add - (not like pepper which makes it sharp) but a good spicy taste,

it needs I think strong flavour.

Lots of saute'd onions and garlic, Shwarma spice, chili powder, honey and tomato paste. If you want "hot" spicy: a little cayenne pepper, jalapenos, hot sauce.

gingleale

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 12:52 pm
I used one chopped onion, one clove minced garlic, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper.

amother
Clematis

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 4:26 pm
Cumin!

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 4:44 pm
For a stronger savory flavor, fried onions are your friends! And garlic, but not too much.
Instead of pure cumin, I think either curry powder or shwarma spice give a richer taste, and they both contain cumin among other things.
Coriander is a kind of cool flavor, as opposed to warm flavors like paprika. Imho cholent needs warm flavors.
What about a tiny bit of ground cloves?

Maybe try different combinations in different weeks and find the mixture your family and you like.

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, Apr 11 2024, 4:55 pm
I use salt, pepper, probably about 1/2 t cumin and 1/4 t coriander. Sweet red paprika in oil. Two dried chili peppers and 2-3 pitted medjool dates. I add brown rice separately mixed with lemon, crushed garlic, salt and turmeric. I used to use smoked paprika which is also really good, but I’ve changed it up a bit recently. My family loves my Cholent. I also use a bit of lamb and marrow bones which add a ton of flavor.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics