Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Loopholes on Twitter
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 9:56 am
Anyone else finding this hilarious. non jews have found out about "loopholes" in halacha and are going crazy. They're calling Jews all sorts of names. The irony of the whole thing is that they have found the biggest loophole of all not keeping any halachos in the Torah!!
LOL LOL LOL

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:08 am
amother OP wrote:
Anyone else finding this hilarious. non jews have found out about "loopholes" in halacha and are going crazy. They're calling Jews all sorts of names. The irony of the whole thing is that they have found the biggest loophole of all not keeping any halachos in the Torah!!
LOL LOL LOL

First of all I'm pretty sure nobody knows what you're talking about. Secondly, like it or not, halacha does appear to be full of loopholes. Let's be real. You can lend money and charge ribbis if you sign a heter iska. We have shabbos elevators, eruv's, and selling our businesses to gentiles so they can operate on shabbos.

What loophole are you taking issue with?

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:09 am
Can you explain what you’re talking about please.

bigsis144

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:14 am
Non-Jews on Twitter are scandalized by the existence of things like an eruv, condemning or mocking Jews for trying to “trick G-d”.

They just don’t get it and it’s none of their business anyway.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:28 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Non-Jews on Twitter are scandalized by the existence of things like an eruv, condemning or mocking Jews for trying to “trick G-d”.

They just don’t get it and it’s none of their business anyway.

Yup. Especially since most non-Jewish probably relate it to people trying to trick the government. They probably view it like people setting up a phony business for tax evasion. It's a totally different concept and thought process for halacha.

I was trying to think of an example that they might get. Let's say you have to write a research paper in college. And one student with learning disabilities affecting their ability to write uses speech to text program to help them complete their paper. "Oh my goodness, they're cheating!!!!! They have to WRITE a paper!!!"
Except we all know that's nonsense. The goal is to see if they can conduct the research, organize and present their findings and summations in an organized and clear manner. The fact that they used speech to text doesn't negate that they accomplished the goal.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:50 am
Are they all blind to the US justice system? There are people walking free afyer committing serious crimes bc their lawyer found some "loophole" in the law....

DrMom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:55 am
amother OP wrote:
LOL LOL LOL

What are you talking about?
Is this a trending topic on Twitter?
In what context is this issue being discussed, and why did people start talking about this?
And also: which people??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:58 am
They're mad about shabbos lamps!! LOL LOL they feel.like it's tricking G-d

icedcoffee

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:58 am
amother Azure wrote:
Are they all blind to the US justice system? There are people walking free afyer committing serious crimes bc their lawyer found some "loophole" in the law....

Well, this is generally a bad thing and a flaw in the system. The criticism they're making is that God is supposed to be perfect and all-knowing, so He wouldn't be fooled by a loophole. And that if religious Jews were true believers, they wouldn't be trying to "get out of it" by finding a loophole. Obviously it comes from a lack of understanding about halacha, but the point they think they're making is not that loopholes don't exist elsewhere, but rather mocking the idea of using them to try to sneak one past God.

singleagain

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:16 am
Please share the hashtag

amother
Lightpink

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:17 am
Well I agree with them. Religion is strange.

singleagain

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 11:23 am
When I tried searching this thing I get a 3 years old post I got a 7 month old post....

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 3:50 pm
singleagain wrote:
Please share the hashtag

Since quote tweets, hashtags aren't used consistently anymore.

Here are some screenshots (some normal, some disturbingly ignorant/hateful):

Hidden: 

sequoia

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 3:54 pm
This from people who decreed otters and capybaras were FISH.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 4:01 pm
sequoia wrote:
This from people who decreed otters and capybaras were FISH.

And puffins!

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 4:19 pm
Finding a way to do something legally is only a "loophole" if there was a mistake in the law that you're exploiting. You're not allowed to take a bottle of milk on a plane. Taking a container of powdered milk instead is a solution, not a loophole. It takes a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of the rules to say "hahaha, you think you're tricking the TSA by sneaking milk on a plane, but they really know you're going to reconstitute it and drink it! Either the TSA isn't real, or you're in big trouble!"

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 5:44 pm
I think it started with Moses and Tzipporahs kli Sheini video

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 6:07 pm
amother Melon wrote:
I think it started with Moses and Tzipporahs kli Sheini video

Looks like Miriam’s Shabbos lamp video didn’t help.

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 6:14 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
Since quote tweets, hashtags aren't used consistently anymore.

Here are some screenshots (some normal, some disturbingly ignorant/hateful):

Anyone else getting a kick out of this? It's actually pretty funny. I'd rather you tell us how Shabbos lamps is 'tricking G-d' and take a break from calling us genocidal occupiers.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:12 pm
I have a non religious sibling like that. keeps calling me a "jew of convenience" beause she doesn't understand what heterim are.

we're not speaking.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics