Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Hostess gift most appreciated
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 12:17 am
-That doesn’t break the bank.

IyH I will be making an aufruf. I am looking for ideas for 20/25 hostess gifts. The people who are hosting my guests host often , so I would like to give a hostess gift that is not the same old , but will be something appreciated, and will not cost more than 20 dollars per .
Please share your ideas !

LisaS

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 1:16 am
If I was making a simcha now, picking out the hostess gift is the first job I'd delegate to a friend that asks what she can help with Very Happy

I host a lot and I don't give much thought to the gifts I get. Often its a dish that is pretty but I don't need so I give it on. Sometimes a potted plant, box of chocolates, platter of cookies etc. A pretty matchbox with large matches.

The main thing I wouldn't want (which I know is popular in the US) is something monogrammed with our name. Then I have no one but my mother in law to give it to...and she certainly is not collecting.

Except for one friend of mine, from Kibbutz Be'eri (they have a big printing business there) brought us a small notepad that at the bottom of each note said
בברכה,
משפחת X
That was actually very useful and practical.

Another idea is for you to make a $20 donation to a local tzedakka fund or a good cause in Israel. Add a beautiful heartfelt note thanking the host and wishing simchas for all of am Israel.

LisaS

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 1:22 am
One more note - as a hostess, a phone call afterwards thanking me and telling me how the guests felt comfortable would mean way more to me than any gift.

We once left our entire house to a family while we went away for Shabbos, a huge undertaking, and all they left us was a bag of bamba. But they left a very appreciative note Heart

zoom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 3:54 am
I like things for the house.

Even something tiny like tealight holders, something for shabbos table, mini matchbox holders, etc

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 7:05 am
Thank you for the ideas. Please keep them coming. For clarification- the simcha is IYH after Pesach. I need to buy 20 or more hostess gifts.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 7:14 am
Gifts received for hosting
Havdala candle
Artscroll recently came out with Tefilasi for women

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 7:22 am
Someone I know have the latest kosher cookbook. She got them on sale.

amother
Starflower

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 7:22 am
I recently got a gift card to the local coffee shop and thought it was such a nice original idea.

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 7:36 am
I usually give a gift certificate for a mani or mani/pedi. Someone once gave that to me and it was my favorite gift ever.
Even if someone doesn't wear polish they could still get it done without.

amother
Steel

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:02 am
I have a guest apartment I give out with pleasure.
I actually always ask the bal Simcha not give me a hostess gift since it gets out of hand.
Majority dont listen. I've gotten many diffusers, candle holders, salt shakers & nice tea lights etc.
I actually like the idea of Gift cards.
What my family did end up enjoying were the people who sent food platters, fruit, nice chocolates, dessert etc (though please don't send homemade stuff).
Gluck figuring it out & Mazal tov!

bestme

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:15 am
Nice fruit platter

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:17 am
I once hosted and received two fresh babkas from a great bakery and a bottle of iced coffee for Shabbos morning. This was perfect. Don’t need any tsotchkes . Even one babka and the coffee would have been great. I did serve yo the guests, but also enjoyed myself when they left for shul.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:21 am
Nice havdalah candle like
https://altoonastore.com/produ.....ticks

teachkids

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:40 am
Something like a havdalah candle or nice hand towels that don't last forever are good because people will need them eventually.

UQT

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:50 am
Someone once gave me a new kids game and it really hit the spot.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 8:59 am
As a frequent hosts and someone who has been married 25+ years, I previously would have said something for breakfast or the house (manicure or coffee gift cards sit unused on my counter until they get lost). However, the reality is most breakfast/chocolate plates end up going to work for my coworkers and most housewares get regifted/given away.
I LOVE a donation made to Israel in my honor.
Meals or supplies for chayalim, toys for children or clothing for kids or women displaced from the south. A donation to Collel Chabad, hachnasat Kallah if you are making a wedding, or $ towards tefillin if you are making a bar mitzvah. Really any organization would be great.
B”H there is nothing physical that I need that you would provide, but I could definitely use the zechus.

A nice note would be super appreciated AND when I have a Simcha -please offer rather than waiting for me to beg.

essie14

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 9:32 am
A fruit platter is basically the only thing I appreciate. No one in my house wants to eat extra chocolate or cake. I have more tea light holders than I'll ever use simultaneously.
Don't need any tchockes.
Fruit platter is always appreciated.

oneofakind

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 10:06 am
Havdala candles or Jewish books ( I can always exchange)
Food is tricky and an older couple wouldn't appreciate what a young large family would. Even fruit platters are not simple - they can't be bought in advance
Platters, diffusers... I'm maxed out already.

baltomom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 2:20 pm
Someone gave us a small paperback book, Great Jewish Photographs by Rabbi Moshe Bamberger. We really enjoyed. (And if you give a gift receipt from the bookstore they can exchange if they don't like it.

amother
Brass

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 2:23 pm
I've done guest towels with their last initial on them. You can get them for relatively cheap on Amazon.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics