Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Would you be concerned? 3yo can't pedal tricycle

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 7:43 pm
She can't pedal her tricycle or ride her scooter. I see kids younger than her riding easily. Didn't qualify for a pt evaluation

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 7:48 pm
Many 3 year olds can't pedal a tricycle. It's not so easy. Regarding a scooter it depends what type you have. Some are easier to do than others.

https://microkickboard.com/col.....iniog

https://microkickboard.com/col.....I-eco

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:14 pm
I would go for OT ASAP. Not normal. I have kids that age and it's not that hard to figure out at 3.

amother
Banana

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:15 pm
amother Ivory wrote:
I would go for OT ASAP. Not normal. I have kids that age and it's not that hard to figure out at 3.

My son had a hard time at 3. He practiced and learned over the summer. Now he's 4 and learned to ride a scooter and tricycle well and I'm going to get him a 2 wheeler with training wheels this season.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:31 pm
Totally within the range of normal. Also some bikes have harder pedals and wheels. Maybe have her try out other kid's bikes to see if there are easier ones you can get her. She's not going to quality for therapy just for this and it would be pt not ot.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:33 pm
My 4 year old is riding training wheels on a regular bike very easily now and she could not pedal her tricycle or use her scooter well last year. I have zero concerns about her and she keeps up with her peers well.

dena613

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:37 pm
Work with her.
Definitely sit her on the bike, put her feet on the pedals, and manually push her feet forward so the pedals move.
Keep at it, encouraging and cheering if she can pedal a little.
She probably will have peer pressure from friends and neighbors to be able to bike.

If you'd like to try to schedule OT, try, but hopefully perhaps by working with her on it for a few minutes a day she will be able to pedal even before you get an eval.

Hatzlacha

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 9:39 pm
Everyone has to stop saying ot. Ot is for fine motor. Pt- physical therapy is for gross motor which is what bike riding falls under.

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 11:45 pm
As a preschool teacher, I wouldn't worry unless she's behind in other gross motor skills. I've helped kids learn how to ride by starting on somewhere that the ground is going down slightly, so that once you start them off they will keep going for a bit. It helps them figure out the pedaling.

ray family

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 11:49 pm
How long has she been trying?
Have you helped? Some children need to be taught how to pedal!

myname1

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 12:49 am
Definitely first try putting her feet on the wheels and pedalling for her if you haven't yet. On some tricycles the pedals are way too far and little kids can't reach them well enough to maneuver.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 6:35 am
I am an OT (and yes, OT's can work on this skill with kids - it's full body coordination, play, strengthening) and I wouldn't be concerned unless you see weakness, incoordination, clumsiness in several other areas.

Some kids just have a harder time with these skills and take a bit longer to figure it out. It's still well within the normal range of development.

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Apr 10 2024, 6:50 am
If you’re having trouble teaching her, you can always take her to private PT. PT is the right professional to help bike riding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics