Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
No-fail shabbos recipes, gluten free

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 12:58 pm
I’m having my in-laws for shabbos for the first time and I’m so nervous! I just got married and I’m not a very experienced cook. So give me your best recipes that are hard to mess up! Gluten free, please

Reality

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 1:03 pm
Never a good time to experiment when you are hosting and an inexperienced cook.

Stick to simple food you already know how to make that is gluten free: chicken with spices, rice and or spiced potatoes, salad etc.

Good luck!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 1:33 pm
But I’m not really experienced with anything! The reason I’m hosting is because they’re having us for Pesach, I thought it’s only right to invite them for shabbos hagadol. Aren’t there any recipes that are hard to mess up? I’m good at following directions, I just don’t have a good instinct yet. Like don’t tell me “take it out when it’s ready”.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 1:44 pm
When serving company I find it is really helpful to have some items that are ready to be served and other items that I have prepped in advance so that all that is needed is to pop them in the oven.

For example, I make a Wild Rice Salad which is made earlier in the day and served at room temperature.

A chicken recipe that is marinated in the morning or even the day before.

Roasted vegetables can be cut up and then tossed with olive oil/spices and popped in the oven

Or there are sheet pan recipes that have you cook the veggies and meat/protein on one sheet pan.

Do you want to spring for a brisket as those are pretty simple to prepare because they are prepped early in the day. Ideally they are actually cooked the day before so that the flavors get better and it is easy to remove the fat which solidifies.

What kind of food do you think they would like as there are loads of possibilities.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 1:48 pm
Foolproof duck sauce chicken:

1 chicken, about 3 1/2 pounds, cut into 8 pieces
1-1/4 cup duck sauce (Sweet & Sour)

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Arrange in prepared pan.
3. Pour duck sauce liberally and evenly all over chicken.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes

Can easily be doubled.

Foolproof broccoli kugel:

1 (2-pound) bag frozen chopped broccoli cuts, thawed and drained
1 cup light mayonnaise
4 eggs
1½ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon coarse black pepper

Preheat oven to 375° F.
Coat a 9-inch round or square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, place broccoli, mayonnaise, eggs, salt & pepper, and mix well.
Pour broccoli mixture into prepared baking dish.
Bake at 375°F for 1 hour and 15 minute

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 1:51 pm
I also wanted to add that it is so nice and considerate of you to invite your in-laws for Shabbos HaGadol. Kol Hakavod!

I'm sure you will do great. Let me know if you want more easy recipes similar to the above.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 1:54 pm
These are very easy and tasty.

https://www.splendidtable.org/.....hment

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 1:56 pm
This is pretty foolproof - if you read through the recipe, it is just adding spices and then leaving in the oven to cook for a long time

The tastes would probably be familiar to your parents but elevated a bit - assuming you are Ashkenazi Smile

It is also essentially one pot and you would only need to round it out with a nice green salad.

Braised Chicken Thighs With Sweet Potatoes and Dates

Recipe Source: Melissa Clark

'This colorful meal is based on tsimmes, the classic Ashkenazi dish of sweet potatoes, carrots and dried fruit (and sometimes meat) typically served on Rosh Hashanah and other Jewish holidays. This version includes boneless, skinless chicken thighs and spices, and lets everything simmer together in a Dutch oven until fragrant and silky. It’s a festive one-pot meal that’s sweet, savory and a little tangy from some orange juice used for braising.

2½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (see Tip)
2 teaspoons kosher salt (such as Diamond Crystal), more as needed
1½ teaspoons ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1¼ pounds sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch chunks
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into ¼-inch thick coins
1 cup dates or prunes, diced (or substitute other dried fruit)
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon grated or minced fresh ginger (optional)
1 (2-inch-long) cinnamon stick
1 large pinch ground cayenne or red-pepper flakes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as needed
1 large leek, trimmed, halved lengthwise and sliced into half-moons
½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro or dill

PREPARATION

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine chicken thighs, 1 teaspoon salt, coriander, cumin and pepper, tossing well. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.

In another large bowl, add the sweet potato, carrot, dates or prunes, lemon zest, grated ginger if you like, cinnamon stick, cayenne and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Stir to combine.

In a 5- to 7-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Add as many pieces of chicken as comfortably fit in the bottom of the pan without crowding and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes.

Transfer chicken pieces to a plate as they brown. Repeat with remaining chicken, adding more oil as needed.

Add leeks, a pinch of salt and more olive oil to the pan if it looks dry. Sauté leeks until golden and tender, 5 to 7 minutes.

Place half of the chicken in 1 layer on top of the leeks. Top with half of the sweet potato mixture, spreading it out evenly over the chicken. Repeat layering with the remaining chicken and sweet potato mixture. Pour orange juice into the pan.

Cover pot and transfer to the oven. Braise, covered, until the chicken and vegetables are tender, for about 55 to 70 minutes, stirring the mixture after 30 minutes. Sprinkle with herbs and serve.

TIP
Because of the long braising time needed to cook the root vegetables, it can be tricky to use chicken breasts because they’re liable to overcook.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 4:41 pm
Thanks everyone!

amother
DarkGreen

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 5:55 pm
Are you hosting both meals or just one?
Sample Friday night menu:
Easy salmon bites on bed of salad...(you can dress salmon in lemon juice/honey/mustard/salt...)
Salad is lettuce/ cherry tomatoes/avacado/salmon bites...dress with dill dip
Add dips if challah will be eaten...
Chicken soup if able and people will eat it.
Duck sauce chicken from above with sweet potatoes and cauliflower popcorn.
Dessert is vanilla ice cream with homemade strawberry sauce and slivered almonds.

Sample shabbos day menu:
Nut salmon on plate of salad...you can do a different one then night before...I do a colored pepper/Lettuce/avacado/sweet dressing
Cholent or pickled roast (both are easy)
Broccoli kugel from above poster
For fanciness you can stuff shnitzels or you can just cut shnitzels thin and small (like bites or even buy it like that) add shwarma spice and serve those to round it out.
Dessert Same as last night or cut up watermelon.

Let me know if you want recipes/times for any of above.
These are things I make for celiac relatives that are easy to prepare.
If you plate the fish on a salad, you don't have to make a lot of salads or dips and the whole meal is easier.

teachkids

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 6:10 pm
This is the time of year for great gluten free recipes! Just look at the pesaxh recipes that are on kosher.com
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen