Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
DD pinky toenail

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 7:14 pm
DD always had really thick pinky toenails, I noticed it from when she was an infant. They would grow thicker and almost in a triangular/claw like shape. This is only her pinky toe nails, the rest are typical. I mentioned it to her doctor who was unconcerned, and at some point she went to a podiatrist for something unrelated and he also said it was all nail, not fungus or injury. She’s now in elementary school and it’s really hard to maintain! She hates cutting it and when it grows too long it gets uncomfortable (she said it feels like it’s falling off the nail bed, which actually happened once!). We try filing or using a strong clipper to cut it, but it’s so time consuming and even still we don’t make much progress. Anyone experienced with this? Any advice?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 7:17 pm
There's a genetic component to this and it's passed on to a couple of my kids (actual toe varies!)

We do have a good clipper but it took till an older age for my kids to be comfortable with cutting it...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 8:37 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
There's a genetic component to this and it's passed on to a couple of my kids (actual toe varies!)

We do have a good clipper but it took till an older age for my kids to be comfortable with cutting it...

Yes I forgot to mention! Dh pointed out to me that he has the same as well!

How did you manage it until they were ok with cutting it? DD is in 2nd grade and it’s been difficult.

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 8:48 pm
I have the same thing! Was weirdly insecure about it as a kid but it’s no big deal, I just cut with strong toenail clippers (not scissors)

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 9:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes I forgot to mention! Dh pointed out to me that he has the same as well!

How did you manage it until they were ok with cutting it? DD is in 2nd grade and it’s been difficult.

I would only force it if either it was getting pulled by the socks and hurting them or it was curling down into the skin below. Then I would cut it right after a bath when it was softer, whether they liked it or not. It probably was like once a year then...

amother
Cornsilk

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 10:05 pm
Do you have a recommendation for a good clipper?

Ds has very thick fast growing nails.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 10:17 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Swisskl.....r_1_6

They are very, very sharp. So, don't let her do it herself, just you. And you have to be careful to separate the toes while using it.

But people say they are very effective.

This ought to make the whole operation quick, over in a minute, because it is so sharp.

Rubbing that nail with Vaseline might be useful.

Get in some paper nail files too, or a steel one, for softening edges.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:16 am
Thank you! After a bath is a good idea. She’s much more comfortable with filling but because it’s so thick, it takes forever (I just ordered a better file…will see if that works).
Those clippers seem intense!!

amother
Alyssum

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 8:28 am
Dolly Welsh wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Swissklip-Toenail-Clippers-Toenails-Professional/dp/B0BMGSJSW3/ref=sr_1_6

They are very, very sharp. So, don't let her do it herself, just you. And you have to be careful to separate the toes while using it.

But people say they are very effective.

This ought to make the whole operation quick, over in a minute, because it is so sharp.

Rubbing that nail with Vaseline might be useful.

Get in some paper nail files too, or a steel one, for softening edges.

I ordered same type of clippers but way cheaper and they do a fantastic job
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 09 2024, 10:29 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
I ordered same type of clippers but way cheaper and they do a fantastic job
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....psc=1

Just ordered them, thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics