Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/o unemployment/PFL

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:15 pm
Also in NJ. Currently 6 weeks after baby, I am on disability leave now. My boss hinted very strongly to me that they will probably fire me, but didn’t officially yet. What’s my best option now? Apply for PFL, then when 12 weeks are up, let them fire me and get unemployment? If I go back to work before taking my 8 weeks, can I lose it if they fire me before? Which pays better?

amother
Hunter

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Also in NJ. Currently 6 weeks after baby, I am on disability leave now. My boss hinted very strongly to me that they will probably fire me, but didn’t officially yet. What’s my best option now? Apply for PFL, then when 12 weeks are up, let them fire me and get unemployment? If I go back to work before taking my 8 weeks, can I lose it if they fire me before? Which pays better?

If you think there’s a real chance they’d fire you then you should definitely start your PFL now assuming your eligibility (ie length of time/hours working for them and how many employees they have) which will protect your job for 12 weeks

Then at least you know they can’t do anything. If you choose to try to work it out during that time frame and keep them from firing you, that’s separate but at least you know you have protections

And then worst case yes you’d go on unemployment afterwards (again, depends on eligibility)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics