Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Yummy vegetarian protein recipes

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:02 pm
Hi,

S/o of the other thread about eating meat
I’d love to cut down on the meat / chicken dinners
I’m used to basic meat / chicken recipes, find prep very easy
Can you please share recipes for kid pleasing protein suppers that are vegetarian?

mha3484

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:17 pm
My easiest dinner is bean and cheese burritos. I cook two boxes of near east Spanish rice. I use one spice packet for two boxes because it’s just the right spice level and sodium level. If you like spicy use both.

Once it’s cooked, stir in two cans of drained black beans and as much cheese as you like. Spoon the mixture in a 10 inch tortilla you can add things like avocado, sour cream, I’ve done fish sticks before. Really whatever you enjoy wrap it up and toast on both sides until brown.

It’s a great change from our regular Thursday pizza/pasta dinners. This makes 8-10 full burritos. Can also make tacos, quesadillas with the same filling.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:42 pm
There was just a thread like this
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....73197

sweetpotato

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 3:12 pm
I have many pareve/milchig dinners but here is something I started making recently that has been really delicious and quite easy. It’s adapted from the “Peanut butter noodles” recipe from NYTimes. This is for a pound of noodles (serves 4-6 depending on appetites)

Cook one lb spaghetti. Reserve about two cups of the pasta water when draining.

In a pan, melt 4 TB butter (can use sesame or vegetable oil if you want pareve. Butter gives this a richness though)

Whisk in 1/2 cup peanut butter
Add 1.5 TB soy sauce
Whisk in pasta water until it becomes a glossy sauce.

Dice a block (or more) of tofu into small cubes. Add to sauce and simmer gently till warmed through.

You can also add slices sautée mushrooms (shiitake or any type. Just sautée them first.)

Can also add sautée shallots or thinly sliced onion and/or garlic. Or sautée or roasted chopped broccoli or stir fried bok coy.

Toss pasta with sauce and tofu and whatever else you’re adding and simmer everything briefly. You may add a little more pasta water to keep the sauce loose. You can top with diced scallions. Can add chopped roasted peanuts or sesame seeds for more crunch. Can also mix in grated Parmesan to make it even more flavorful. Add more soy sauce to taste.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:18 pm
This one is really easy: https://nateandrachael.com/j-g.....stew/
A big vegetable soup and whole wheat flatbread or breadsticks
Scrambled eggs with toast and some cut up veggies on the side
Baked potatoes (or sweet potatoes) with broccoli and cheese sauce
Tuna casserole with peas
Salmon cakes with rice and a veggie
Tacos with fake meat and lots of veggies
Black bean burritoes or quesadillas
There are lots of really yummy curries and Indian/Japanese stews you can serve over rice, very kid-friendly if you add coconut milk/cream to make it creamy
Fried rice, which I saw someone posted above, even without tofu it has eggs in it for protein
Breakfast burritoes/enchilladas (again, eggs)

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:50 pm
Thank you OP for starting this thread!

I'm also looking for kid and teen friendly rice and beans ideas. Is it possible to ask for easy too?

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 5:05 pm
I do mostly pareve during the week but haven't found any good/easy rice and bean meals yet.

We do egg-based (shakshuka, quiche, omelet) or bean-based (falafel, bean soup, tacos), sometimes tuna (pasta and tuna, or a fancier spaghetti with tuna sauce). Falafel from scratch is a patchke but the rest are easy.

Once a week I do milchig (baked ziti) and often once a week I do fleishig (sloppy joes).

amother
Clear

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 5:11 pm
Some of my favorites are scrambled eggs with cheese in corn tortillas (softened), bean and cheese burritos, veggie frittada, lentil soup and grilled cheese.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 5:32 pm
Thanks all
For the pasta dishes - do you all use whole wheat? I’m wary of so much starch

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 5:39 pm
Tofu made right can be such a game changer! A package from Trader Joe’s is $1.99 which is perfect for a dinner for me and my husband. Can be made almost like chicken in so many different sauces and is really delicious when made right. Search on Pinterest for tofu recipes and will get a ton of great options

Amarante

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 6:05 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Tofu made right can be such a game changer! A package from Trader Joe’s is $1.99 which is perfect for a dinner for me and my husband. Can be made almost like chicken in so many different sauces and is really delicious when made right. Search on Pinterest for tofu recipes and will get a ton of great options

The trick is to use firm tofu is you want pieces of tofu and drain them well. You can use a pan in top.

Marinating for a few minutes makes them more flavorful since tofu has no real flavor.

You can coat with cornstarch to make them more crispy when you roast

They are also good in soup - especially with Chinese flavors. I have made a tomato egg drop soup which is veggie, tofu with some eggs and very good.

mha3484

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 10:16 am
This recipe got me to change my mind about tofu. Everyone likes it. https://www.budgetbytes.com/pa.....coli/

amother
Buttercup

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 10:20 am
My kids (3/4 anyway) don't like lentils which is a shame because lentils are super cheap and high in protein.

They all like shakshuka though, which surprises me because when I was a kid I didn't like tomato sauce.

busy mommy

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 10:48 am
This nachos recipe has been a recent hit: (budgetbytes.com)
INGREDIENTS
SPICY BLACK BEAN MIXTURE
1 Tbsp olive oil ($0.13)
1 small onion ($0.32)
1 10oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles ($0.99)
1 15oz. can black beans ($1.00)
1/2 tsp chipotle powder ($0.05)
1/2 tsp ground cumin ($0.05)
1/4 tsp garlic powder ($0.02)
1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)

Finely dice the onion. Add the olive oil and onion to a large skillet and sauté over medium heat until the onion is soft and transparent (about 5 minutes). Drain, but do not rinse the black beans, allowing some of the starchy liquid to remain coating the beans. Add the beans and diced tomatoes with chiles (not drained) to the skillet, along with the chipotle powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Stir and simmer the mixture until it thickens and liquid no longer pools on the bottom of the skillet (about 10 minutes).

I serve it with tortilla chips, guacamole, sour cream, pickled onions, jalepenos.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 11:04 am
sweetpotato wrote:
I have many pareve/milchig dinners but here is something I started making recently that has been really delicious and quite easy. It’s adapted from the “Peanut butter noodles” recipe from NYTimes. This is for a pound of noodles (serves 4-6 depending on appetites)

Cook one lb spaghetti. Reserve about two cups of the pasta water when draining.

In a pan, melt 4 TB butter (can use sesame or vegetable oil if you want pareve. Butter gives this a richness though)

Whisk in 1/2 cup peanut butter
Add 1.5 TB soy sauce
Whisk in pasta water until it becomes a glossy sauce.

Dice a block (or more) of tofu into small cubes. Add to sauce and simmer gently till warmed through.

You can also add slices sautée mushrooms (shiitake or any type. Just sautée them first.)

Can also add sautée shallots or thinly sliced onion and/or garlic. Or sautée or roasted chopped broccoli or stir fried bok coy.

Toss pasta with sauce and tofu and whatever else you’re adding and simmer everything briefly. You may add a little more pasta water to keep the sauce loose. You can top with diced scallions. Can add chopped roasted peanuts or sesame seeds for more crunch. Can also mix in grated Parmesan to make it even more flavorful. Add more soy sauce to taste.

This sounds delicious

I love making tuna patties and serving it like a burger with all the fixings and fries.
I don’t really have a recipe. If I have leftover veggies cooked or raw (as long as they are not meated) I chop it finely in the food processor and add it to the mixture.
It’s yummier if you add leftover challah/bread soaked in water and mushed, but since I’m usually watching my carb intake I leave it out.
Basically
Tuna
Finely Chopped up veg (onion, carrot, celery, left overs)
Soaked bread
Eggs (not too much)
Mayo
Salt, pepper, whatever spices you like. I put a dash of lemon pepper because I have it.
Mash everything, Form Pattie, bake or pan fry
Freezes well.

Also any leftover fish from Shabbos gets mashed in the mixture.

My friend use to add A LOT of soaked challah
And make it in a loaf pan for Shabbos
I think the original recipe is in Spice &Spirit cookbook
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics