Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Punching bag

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:01 am
My ds has adhd and a lot of rage. he came up with the idea of trying a punching bag when he's really upset. but they seem REALLY expensive. anyone have a good one that they can recommend that isn't a ton. Or some other option? Like I see a wall mount one for cheap, but it looks tiny etc.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:35 am
Punching bags are hard and hurt your hands so he'd probably need boxing gloves too. Also, some types need someone else to hold it still. Can he just punch a pillow or something similar?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:37 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
Punching bags are hard and hurt your hands so he'd probably need boxing gloves too. Also, some types need someone else to hold it still. Can he just punch a pillow or something similar?

Correct. I need to add cost of the gloves. I showed him type of one I'd hold (at least it's cheaper) he doesn't want it.
We've tried pillow for months, apparently not good enough for him.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:43 am
They aren't cheap.
You also have to keep in mind installation costs. You can either hang from ceiling (need to purchase kit) or buy a big base for it.

I bought mine from dicks for about $85 and hung it on the ceiling. Bought gloves from Amazon.

amother
Darkblue

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:44 am
amother OP wrote:
Correct. I need to add cost of the gloves. I showed him type of one I'd hold (at least it's cheaper) he doesn't want it.
We've tried pillow for months, apparently not good enough for him.

Hm, ok. I don't have a recommendation but I think it's really nice that you're trying to help him this way. I do want to warn you (as someone with ADHD myself) not to be disappointed if he uses it a lot in the beginning but it begins gathering dust once the excitement wears off. Is there a way you can borrow one for a month or two to see if he'll actually stick with it?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:46 am
amother Darkblue wrote:
Hm, ok. I don't have a recommendation but I think it's really nice that you're trying to help him this way. I do want to warn you (as someone with ADHD myself) not to be disappointed if he uses it a lot in the beginning but it begins gathering dust once the excitement wears off. Is there a way you can borrow one for a month or two to see if he'll actually stick with it?

I think that's why my husband is reluctant to get one. Every time he asks him, he kind of doesn't answer and I think it has to do with the thought that he'll likely decide in a short time period that his interest is in puzzles. I'm not kidding. He's awesome and adorable and smart, but oh so challenging.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:47 am
amother Ultramarine wrote:
They aren't cheap.
You also have to keep in mind installation costs. You can either hang from ceiling (need to purchase kit) or buy a big base for it.

I bought mine from dicks for about $85 and hung it on the ceiling. Bought gloves from Amazon.

Yes, so I don't want to hang from ceiling and the bases are like $150.
But I did see one piece tall things for like $120 total. But who needs something else huge here? I don't know

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 11:52 am
Choose one with free returns in case it's no good. We bought something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Everlas.....ss_tl

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:08 pm
If you want my two cents? I see these things as the price of a session of therapy. If you can afford it, go for it. Even if it only works for a few weeks.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:15 pm
I am uneasy at the idea of teaching effective boxing moves to someone with rage issues as you describe.

That does NOT teach responsibility. It just teaches effective punching moves.

Such as: how to not miss, and how to put your whole strength concentrated into the punch.

Are you SURE he should know that? Let him miss. No cleverness with the hands.

So, the pillow it is. NO professional equipment.

And of course even that is physicalizing a situation that may be should NOT be physicalized.

Maybe it should be handled mentally. No matter how hard that is. Because that's where the action really is. In the head.

Maybe even no pillow.

Would you want to live with a man who punched pillows? The obvious thought is, maybe I'm next.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:18 pm
What about something like this to see if a better one would be worth buying:

https://www.amazon.com/JOYIN-I.....ss_tl

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:30 pm
amother Ultramarine wrote:
They aren't cheap.

My son doesn't use his daily anymore. Bit he still uses it a lot. It's good for letting out energy and frustration. I don't push him to use it though. If I did, he would refuse to touch it.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 5:50 am
Martial arts person here:
You don't have to wear gloves, plenty of martial arts work on bags without gloves, but it will hurt without instruction in proper technique.
You could get hand wraps and not full gloves which would bring down some of the pain.

Hanging bag is much better than a base. The base ones always end up falling over. And they're super heavy and hard to move (the base is weighted for stability). And they're more expensive.

Practicing martial arts often has a calming and centering affect, and there's a big focus on self control. I wouldn't worry about someone with anger issues doing it, quite the opposite, it may help a lot! If a child is angry enough to want to hurt someone, they'll hurt them whether or not they've learned a martial art. They're not going to become a ninja that can kill with a single strike after a year or two of lessons. They may become calmer and less likely to hit people though.

teachkids

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 5:56 am
Clearly I don't know your kid, but some other ideas to consider: learning to play the drums or a tetherball pole if you have outdoor space

BrooklynBee

Post Mon, Apr 08 2024, 6:37 am
https://www.amazon.com/Punchin.....ss_tl

this is great for younger kids
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children