Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Of manicures and babies
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:32 am
Just curious... People who do these kinds of "self care," how do you pull it off when you have a baby? Do you add $30 worth of babysitting to the cost of the manicure?

I'm not even used to doing these kinds of things but I received a gift certificate for a manicure with a 6 month expiration date and I just realized 4 of the months have passed and I couldn't find a way to use it. In addition to finding time I'd need to get a sitter for 2 hours (including getting there and back, waiting turn, the manicure itself, and plenty of time to dry because I ruin manicures way too easily and taking care of a baby would definitely do it)

I do see people in my stage of life with nice nails. Do they all have full time nannies that they can hop off for a mani with nothing extra?

Meanwhile anyone want to buy a gift card off me Sad

amother
Viola

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:35 am
I find a place with night hours and dh watches baby

Or go on Friday when I don’t work and baby is at babysitter

Or Sunday when dh is home

DrMom

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 12:41 am
Every mother needs some down time. If it's really important to you, can you ask your DH to watch your baby for an hour while you get your nails done?

IMO, "nice nails" doesn't have to be nails covered with nail polish. You can probably keep them neat and trimmed and pretty on your own without investing an hour each week or whatever to have someone to paint them for you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:04 am
DrMom wrote:
Every mother needs some down time. If it's really important to you, can you ask your DH to watch your baby for an hour while you get your nails done?

IMO, "nice nails" doesn't have to be nails covered with nail polish. You can probably keep them neat and trimmed and pretty on your own without investing an hour each week or whatever to have someone to paint them for you.

Yeah I'm just bummed that I'm sitting on this gift card while it creeps toward expiration because a babysitter costs more than a manicure.

Dh works very long hours. Even if he had time off overlapping with nail salons, I wouldn't ask him to spend it all babysitting Yes yes it's fathering not babysitting - if I'm looking for someone to watch the baby while I go do my nails, it's babysitting. He's a fine father and helps out plenty. He also has plenty to catch up on if he's available during business hours. He'd tell me he'd rather I pay a babysitter and get the manicure while he also does an appointment or something. But I'm too cheap to do that. Also finding a sitter is a hassle.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:12 am
Would the baby nap in the stroller/car seat?
If so take the baby with you and go.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:27 am
I time manicures around naps. My baby has one long nap during the day, so I put her down in her carriage and walk over to the salon, and she sleeps through.

Is the salon in walking distance of your house?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:31 am
Nothing is walking distance where I live.

Baby often falls asleep in car seat but I can't count on how long it will last. If he wakes up and needs to be picked up before my nails dry I think that would be even more frustrating than never using the gift card.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:48 am
Where do you live? What place is the gift card for?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 1:59 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
Where do you live? What place is the gift card for?

Live in Far Rockaway. Gift is to one of the 5 towns places, I forget which, in the main central Ave area.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:00 am
You can sell it and use the money to treat yourself with something which works for you

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:05 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
You can sell it and use the money to treat yourself with something which works for you

Yeah I just got to wondering if and how other people do it. This particular issue never occurred to me because I only rarely got manicures anyway before having a baby. Now I'm puzzled - and just a little disappointed. A lot of things are complicated now and babies are so worth it and of course I knew going in that my life is motherhood now, but it's eye opening to see just HOW many things are affected!

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:13 am
My SILs all get manicures monthly right after they go to the mikvah. They all have nannys/full time childcare.
I'm in the same situation OP. It is rare I get my nails done because I have no one to watch my children. I go probably once every two or three years

imaima

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:30 am
If you really want it you make it happen.
Thats what people do who get regular manicures. They don't look for excuses and betterthings to do.
FYI you can get a manicure without the polish. You can get a manicure with gel which is dried with a special lamp and you don't need to wait. It also won't get ruined.

imaima

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 2:31 am
amother OP wrote:
Yeah I just got to wondering if and how other people do it. This particular issue never occurred to me because I only rarely got manicures anyway before having a baby. Now I'm puzzled - and just a little disappointed. A lot of things are complicated now and babies are so worth it and of course I knew going in that my life is motherhood now, but it's eye opening to see just HOW many things are affected!

Do you have no other friends who are home with a baby and could watch yours?

amother
Tomato

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 3:01 am
OP, I’m not sure your attitude to your husband looking after your baby is sustainable. Sooner or later he’s going to have to spend his downtime looking after his children. And honestly it’s very bonding for them to spend time alone together.

I don’t mean to berate you - it’s just some advice from a mother who learned the importance of involving her husband in parenting from an early age.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 3:49 am
amother OP wrote:
Just curious... People who do these kinds of "self care," how do you pull it off when you have a baby? Do you add $30 worth of babysitting to the cost of the manicure?

I'm not even used to doing these kinds of things but I received a gift certificate for a manicure with a 6 month expiration date and I just realized 4 of the months have passed and I couldn't find a way to use it. In addition to finding time I'd need to get a sitter for 2 hours (including getting there and back, waiting turn, the manicure itself, and plenty of time to dry because I ruin manicures way too easily and taking care of a baby would definitely do it)

I do see people in my stage of life with nice nails. Do they all have full time nannies that they can hop off for a mani with nothing extra?

Meanwhile anyone want to buy a gift card off me Sad

Def, post it on local whatsapp groups.It does make a fine gift. The giver should also have included babysitting or offer to babysit as well.
Wouldnt it be nice if manicurists also provided babysitting like some gyms do?

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 3:50 am
amother OP wrote:
Nothing is walking distance where I live.

Baby often falls asleep in car seat but I can't count on how long it will last. If he wakes up and needs to be picked up before my nails dry I think that would be even more frustrating than never using the gift card.

Not a problem, I am sure if your nails are wet, someone will offer to pick up the baby for you in the salon.

amother
Lily

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:04 am
I don't think exposing a baby to the fumes in a nail salon is a great idea.

I'm a SAHM in the 5T with kids in school and a pretty flexible schedule. I would be happy to meet you on Central Ave. one day and watch your baby in your car or stroller so you can get a manicure.

I know I'm posting as amother, but I don't want to out myself to everyone. If you're not weirded out by the idea, then we can get a mod to connect us.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 4:21 am
I usually have someone come to the house to do a manicure.

TR91

Post Sun, Apr 07 2024, 5:00 am
amother Lily wrote:
I don't think exposing a baby to the fumes in a nail salon is a great idea.

I'm a SAHM in the 5T with kids in school and a pretty flexible schedule. I would be happy to meet you on Central Ave. one day and watch your baby in your car or stroller so you can get a manicure.

I know I'm posting as amother, but I don't want to out myself to everyone. If you're not weirded out by the idea, then we can get a mod to connect us.

This made me emotional. I love our nation!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics