Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Bread for shabbos instead of challah?
1  2  Next

Would you use bread for hamotzei instead of challah?
Yes  
 38%  [ 46 ]
No  
 61%  [ 73 ]
Total Votes : 119

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 10:12 am
Would you do such a thing? Won't have enough Challah for the next 2 shabbosim and we have an overload of bread.

Brit in Israel

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 10:15 am
How would you do that or is the bread not sliced?
You need whole loaves for the seuda

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 10:19 am
Dh said we could What

mommyhood

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 10:29 am
A full loaf, sure, sliced no. If we have a lot of leftover cut challahs we’ll make lechem mishna on 2 small rolls then use the challah for dips etc.

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 10:43 am
We literally never use challah. Challah is really expensive and too big for us and it’s void of nutrition so we use Trader Joe half baked which we really enjoy and it’s so cheap

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 10:44 am
This is cut up bread

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 10:53 am
amother OP wrote:
This is cut up bread

I don’t Think thats allowed

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:
This is cut up bread

There is an opinion to rely on that this is ok.

zoom

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:12 am
amother OP wrote:
Would you do such a thing? Won't have enough Challah for the next 2 shabbosim and we have an overload of bread.

If you have challah, why dont you use it up first ,and next week or the week after buy challos or pitas?

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:15 am
I'd buy 2 rolls/ pita/ bagels for lechen mishna and eat the bread.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:30 am
People who wouldn't use the whole challah, or juice, may use something else than challah, and I've heard of coffee, orange juice

I am unsure of the details

I have known many people living alone who reaaaly didn't want to have leftovers or buy the big juice or wine bottles
As well as travelers
There are also people - mostly men, some women - who definitely don't/won't cook, and either see above, or live in places with no kosher challah.

Last edited by Ruchel on Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Simple1

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:41 am
amother OP wrote:
This is cut up bread

I would use the bread and buy 3-4 rolls or pita for lechem mishna for the sedudas.

Simple1

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:45 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
We literally never use challah. Challah is really expensive and too big for us and it’s void of nutrition so we use Trader Joe half baked which we really enjoy and it’s so cheap

This is why I started baking challah. Challahs got expensive and homemade tastes much better. And as far as nutrition, you can choose the ingredients that go in if you make it yourself.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 11:50 am
Ruchel wrote:
People who wouldn't use the whole challah, or juice, may use something else than challah, and I've heard of coffee, orange juice

I’m not a posek and I don’t know, but I believe you can make kiddush on the bread if you can’t afford (don’t have?) wine, but while you can make havdallah on juice or soda, you cannot make kiddush.
It this is the case, I don’t believe you can make Motzi on coffee/juice-but definitely ask a reliable halachikly authority.

Your Challah/bread needs to be whole (if it is completely but pre sliced and still complete-may be a different discussion).
Nothing wrong with using a pita or bagel for Motzi and eating the already started challah with your meal.

ShishKabob

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:12 pm
I wouldn't do it, just because I don't feel its shabbosdig. I would try to make it my business to use up the bread a different way. Or I would use some of it but not for lechem mishna or anything like that.

For those saying challah is too expensive, please make it yourself. All you need is a bag of flour some yeast, water, salt and sugar. You don't even have to use eggs. It's really a kavod for the Shabbos and it brings a bracha into the home.

Hugs op, if your sholom bayis is on the line, it's a whole different story.

Bottom line is to have a calm and peaceful atmosphere.

zaq

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 1:12 pm
It has to be a full loaf, uncut, but the "loaf" can be anything. A kaiser roll or a pita, uncut, qualifies. A loaf of rye bread qualifies. A bagel qualifies. A matzah qualifies.

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 1:34 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I wouldn't do it, just because I don't feel its shabbosdig. I would try to make it my business to use up the bread a different way. Or I would use some of it but not for lechem mishna or anything like that.

For those saying challah is too expensive, please make it yourself. All you need is a bag of flour some yeast, water, salt and sugar. You don't even have to use eggs. It's really a kavod for the Shabbos and it brings a bracha into the home.

Hugs op, if your sholom bayis is on the line, it's a whole different story.

Bottom line is to have a calm and peaceful atmosphere.

For many of us who feel it is a financial burden, we are likely busy people who are over extended, maybe working (maybe working multiple jobs), possibly not having any or at least “sufficient” cleaning help…..

Telling us to just make it at home completely invalidates how much work it is and how over extended we might already be.
It may not be expensive to purchase the ingredients, but it takes manual labor to make, time, and the need for a pareve oven. Some of us are just trying to get by.

There is NOTHING wrong with using rolls or pita or bagels. I promise you, Hashem is not judging you if you don’t have the ability or time to bake, or just don’t eat a lot of bread and don’t want to have a ton of waste.
There are MANY ways to bring a shabbosdik feel and kavod to your shabbos table.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 1:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is cut up bread

You need 2 whole breads/rolls/challa or 2 whole matzah for lechem mishna. Only sliced loaves is not okay for the shabbos meals, if you don't have lechem mishna.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 1:46 pm
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
There is an opinion to rely on that this is ok.

Who's opinion?
Perhaps one can rely on that in case of emergency, but not as the official arrangement?

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 2:03 pm
Simple1 wrote:
This is why I started baking challah. Challahs got expensive and homemade tastes much better. And as far as nutrition, you can choose the ingredients that go in if you make it yourself.

I used to years back but I found the process too time consuming and frankly unenjoyable
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note