Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Can I light a match from an existing flame?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 10:55 pm
I’m terrible at lighting matches and it is so embarrassing whenever I am a guest at someone’s house. Anyone know if its halachically allowed for me to use the flame from my host’s candles to light my match, then use that match to light my candles?

amother
Cherry

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m terrible at lighting matches and it is so embarrassing whenever I am a guest at someone’s house. Anyone know if its halachically allowed for me to use the flame from my host’s candles to light my match, then use that match to light my candles?

You can’t use it to light a match. You are allowed to use it to light one of your shabbos candles and then use that candle to light your other candle. But it can’t be used for a separate candle or match that isn’t being used for shabbos

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:10 pm
If you're feeling brave, take a big piece of foil and a big box of matches. Practice striking them and dropping the match right away. It's a learned skill and you can definitely acquire it!

By the time you finish the box you'll be much more experienced.

amother
Pear

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:42 pm
No, you cannot take from someone else’s fire

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 11:58 pm
The two main candles are tzorchei mitzva and you're not allowed to use them to light something else. If they light more than two, most people hold that the extra candles you are allowed to use.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:00 am
You shouldn't even take from your own lit candles. (if your match dies out in middle of lighting)

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:20 am
Just use a lighter. I haven't bothered with matches in ages.

amother
Stonewash

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:49 am
Can one light a match from a yortzeit candle we leave on for exactly this reason? I always feel like I'm doing something wrong by lighting a match and then lighting my candles with this match.

Reality

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 12:56 am
It's not lighting the match from an existing flame that is a problem, it's extinguishing it. As long as you don't blow the match out, it is ok. Place the lit match some place safe and it will die out on it's own.

amother
Stonewash

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 1:55 am
Reality wrote:
It's not lighting the match from an existing flame that is a problem, it's extinguishing it. As long as you don't blow the match out, it is ok. Place the lit match some place safe and it will die out on it's own.

Right, I don't blow it out. Thanks.

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 2:01 am
Reality wrote:

It can both be a problem. The problem with OPs questions is not that it's an existing flame. The problem is if the existing flame is someone's Shabbos candles (or your own) That's not ok. A yahrtzeit candle is ok to take from.

amother
Gardenia

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 2:11 am
To my knowledge, you can light from an existing flame before your host said the brocha. Once they said a brocha on the candles you cannot light from that flame

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 2:16 am
seeker wrote:

This! Def makes lighting more elegant and L'chvod Shabbos Kodesh.

Reality

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 2:21 am
amother Taupe wrote:
It can both be a problem. The problem with OPs questions is not that it's an existing flame. The problem is if the existing flame is someone's Shabbos candles (or your own) That's not ok. A yahrtzeit candle is ok to take from.

It may be better not to but I don't think it's assur like taking from the light of a menorah.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 7:37 am
I once asked a rav about this.
You're not supposed to take from one of your shabbos candles which is used for a mitzvah to light something that doesn't have kedushah (like the match), but to transfer the flame from one candle to another is fine. You can use a lit candle to light the other candles.

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Fri, Apr 05 2024, 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 8:04 am
seeker wrote:

Doesn't help when you're at someone else's house and they only have matches available.

amother
Cherry

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 8:42 am
Reality wrote:

That’s a separate question, but it’s assur to use shabbos flames to light a match

Reality

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 8:59 am
amother Cherry wrote:
That’s a separate question, but it’s assur to use shabbos flames to light a match

I never learned it's assur. Do you know where it says that please?

Reality

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 9:03 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I once asked a rav about this.
You're not supposed to take from one of your shabbos candles which is used for a mitzvah to light something that doesn't have kedushah (like the match), but to transfer the flame from one candle to another is fine. You can use a lit candle to light the other candles.

Even if you are using the match for a mitzvah? I understand if you want to light your stove top it's wrong.

Also, did the Rav say it's assur like the previous poster did? That is very strong language. Something being not best practice is not the same as assur.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 1:39 pm
Reality wrote:
Even if you are using the match for a mitzvah? I understand if you want to light your stove top it's wrong.

Also, did the Rav say it's assur like the previous poster did? That is very strong language. Something being not best practice is not the same as assur.

No, it's not assur, but it's not proper.
There are different levels of tasmishei kedushah. The candles themselves are the mitzvah, the match is a helper.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note