Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Ideas for activities to help me connect w my kids

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 3:31 pm
I am trying hard to love my kid/kids.

Some of what they do grates on my nerves so much that I simply want to run away as far as I could.

They are immature and spend far too much of their time fighting and being petty while I desperately try to stay calm and teach them a few skills to help them resolve their arguments.

I'd like to put some effort into doing enjoyable activities with them, to perhaps recapture the magic we've lost. This would have to be fun and enjoyable for me. I don't wanna do anything that involves working hard while they kvetch. I don't wanna play mind numbing board games.

I love nature and I love sports. I love good conversations, although I get that they're undeveloped. Maybe something artsy. I wish we could get on a plane and fly someplace cool but it's not in our budget.

I wanna laugh and hug them again. Ideas?

The kids are ages 13, 12 and 9

kneidelmeidel

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 3:35 pm
Maybe you could take them on a weekly walk/ hike?

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 3:37 pm
Paint nights, you can get YouTube tutorials for kid friendly ones. Pick up things in Michaels with supplies to decorate like tie dye tshirts, socks to decorate etc.. go on a nature hike, make a scavenger hunt of things to find. Go to pretty parks look at the flowers and things growing. Bake together. Make a family photo collage. Go to a local beach if you have.

amother
Whitewash

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 3:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am trying hard to love my kid/kids.

Some of what they do grates on my nerves so much that I simply want to run away as far as I could.

They are immature and spend far too much of their time fighting and being petty while I desperately try to stay calm and teach them a few skills to help them resolve their arguments.

I'd like to put some effort into doing enjoyable activities with them, to perhaps recapture the magic we've lost. This would have to be fun and enjoyable for me. I don't wanna do anything that involves working hard while they kvetch. I don't wanna play mind numbing board games.

I love nature and I love sports. I love good conversations, although I get that they're undeveloped. Maybe something artsy. I wish we could get on a plane and fly someplace cool but it's not in our budget.

I wanna laugh and hug them again. Ideas?

The kids are ages 13, 12 and 9

Crazy that this is so similar to how I'm feeling! Even the ages are the same!!
Mine are all girls so I decided we are doing once a week a dance night, but since I'm zonked always (new baby) we are going to limit it to 10-15, with one of them directing the steps
Today's the first day! iyH it'll work!!

lamplighter

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:06 pm
You may find it easier and more enjoyable to do it separately with each one. This way they don't feed off each other or fight.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:21 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
Crazy that this is so similar to how I'm feeling! Even the ages are the same!!
Mine are all girls so I decided we are doing once a week a dance night, but since I'm zonked always (new baby) we are going to limit it to 10-15, with one of them directing the steps
Today's the first day! iyH it'll work!!

Hey, I have girls too!

I'm happy to hear about your exciting dance party! Can you tell me more about it?

Unfortunately I have very little patience and I'm not particularly excited about the idea of a dance night at home. I'd love to do something outside, in a cool chill environment, without my husband.

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:29 pm
I have girls those ages and I think if you’re excited about the activity they’ll be so happy to spend chilled time with you.
So do what appeals to you.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 4:31 pm
What works for me is taking a morning or afternoon off with just one child and doing something fun together.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 04 2024, 8:01 pm
What activities can we do outdoors that doesn't require major traveling? Were in Brooklyn.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 2:56 pm
Go to prospect park and rent bikes. Or take a peddle boat if they're open.
Walk the Brooklyn Bridge.
Maybe games are interactive and team building. Not every game is monopoly. Try suspend or slamwich.

Coffee beanz

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 4:48 pm
I find art like watercolor painting is a great non overwhelming way to connect. Modeling clay can be fun too or just make things out of play dough. Just 10 tob15 minutes of connecting a day can make a real difference.

amother
Lightgray

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 4:55 pm
I would also maybe give them the offer that you wanna take them up and let them plan as a team of 3.

Tzutzie

Post Fri, Apr 05 2024, 5:08 pm
Its soon spring, do you have a green thumb? You can try gardening/planting stuff. If you don't have anywhere to do it, you can do indoors or jar sprouting.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children