Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Are you embarrassed to use hand me downs from fancy brands?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:27 pm
I have a relative with a baby a bit older than mine and she gave me some hand me downs from very expensive companies (bebe organic for example)

I feel a bit funny putting my kid in it because we're not fancy people and I don't want people to judge me that I buy from those kind of companies.

On the other hand they're free and cute clothes

amother
Moonstone

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:28 pm
People shouldn't judge you.

Use the clothing.

amother
Chicory

I had that and I’ll be honest if a random person comments, same as a expensive outfit my kids wear I say my mother loves shopping bc I can’t get them and it’s totally ok lots of people get expensive gifts

enjoy! the best hand me downs

DrMom

Unless the logo is splashed all over it, who would know?

kenz

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:29 pm
Enjoy them. Maybe people will assume someone gave them to you, maybe not. Who cares?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:33 pm
amother Chicory wrote:
I had that and I’ll be honest if a random person comments, same as a expensive outfit my kids wear I say my mother loves shopping bc I can’t get them and it’s totally ok lots of people get expensive gifts

enjoy! the best hand me downs

Thanks that's a good idea

bnm

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:35 pm
Just got tons of hand me downs not my style but stylish. Kid will wear it. Let people think. For all they know its Ali knockoffs.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:35 pm
Anyone that keeps up with fashion knows EXACTLY whats this year's styles, and people remember what they saw in stores and ads.

They knows it's either second hand or bought at the end of season on clearence from a past year.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:37 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Anyone that keeps up with fashion knows EXACTLY whats this year's styles, and people remember what they saw in stores and ads.

They knows it's either second hand or bought at the end of season on clearence from a past year.

That's a good point! Hadn't thought of that but you're right.

I think I'll use them

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:45 pm
If it’s last years season the fancy people will know it’s handme down.

bnm

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:48 pm
amother Silver wrote:
If it’s last years season the fancy people will know it’s handme down.

Or end of season clearance. It is ok. You didn't steal the clothes.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:51 pm
I'm in same boat and my kids either wear fancy hand me downs or cute Primark
I don't care what anyone thinks, as long as my kids look neat and clean

giftedmom

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:57 pm
IDK who has this much brainspace I barely know what’s in my own kids closets but who cares what anyone thinks

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 2:59 pm
Take them! Let people think whatever they want. If you need the clothing, I say take them.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 3:03 pm
I understand the question. I’ve been put into this situation more than once where even a playgroup teacher would comment and ask where I buy my daughters clothes because they are always so cute . Or that she’s dressed so well it’s obvious she’s my only daughter etc .
The irony is that I don’t buy her clothes . It’s all hand me downs many from at least 5 years ago.
It made me feel uncomfortable but at a certain point I just mention that it’s a hand me down .
Many years ago I was given a perfect almost new bugaboo stroller as a hand me down (think 18 yrs ago) at that time Hollywood celebrities were using Bugaboos and it didn’t make itself into the heimish world that much yet , unless you were very fancy or wealthy. I didn’t feel comfortable using the stroller because it was way to ostentatious for who I am . It stayed in my garage for a year until I passed it to someone who wanted it. Nowadays , a bugaboo is the norm and no one would bat an eyelash.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics