Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Husband worried of antisemitism with tichel

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:58 pm
When we travel to a place in the USA we like to vacation that is in the south and doesn’t have a large Jewish population, he says he is nervous about anti semitism and he also wears a baseball cap over his yamaka here. We live in New York, Brooklyn where it’s frum and in town. At home he wears a yamaka out freely. It’s a little annoying bc the pool is one place I would wear a tichel since I overall prefer wigs or falls, but even in my modest swim dress from a frum store I get people looking at me funny. It’s one of those things that I will just shove my hair under a cap or a hat fall with a hat or scarf bc it’s one of those things that isn’t worth the disagreement.

My husband is not very bossy or tries to tell me what I wear basically ever, it’s only here him being nervous about anti semitism and not blatantly showing his yamaka for the same reason. So that’s why I don’t make it a huge deal and listen to his view on this, but I do find it annoying.

amother
Aconite

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:41 am
I suppose you could put all your hair under a bathing cap or hat? But if he’s not wearing visible tzitzit it’s likely people will think you’re Muslim if you’re wearing a long swim dress. I wouldn’t worry.

amother
Poppy

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 5:14 am
There is a lot more awareness about excessive sun exposure. Many more brands are doing modest swimwear, you shouldn't stick out

Golde

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 5:55 am
Would you be okay wearing a swim cap? If so, try to get a nice one that matches your swim wear. It doesn't have the same "Jewish look" as a tichel and people wear them for all sorts of reasons.

yachnabobba

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:45 am
Perhaps you should not vacation someplace like that. I don’t think it’s a small decision to try to mask your Jewish appearance. The geulah came in the merit of ppl who did not change their appearance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels