Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Easy meals for a houseful from Rosh Chodesh

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:10 pm
I'm blessed to have a busy chaotic house from Rosh Chodesh. My marrieds with their littles, my own not-so-little but always hungry school kids, mesivta, beis medrash boys, seminary and working daughters all want a hot supper....but all come in at different times!

Would love ideas of easy meals, either in the crock pot, or one pot in the oven that they can warm up whenever they want..

TIA!

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:13 pm
Following!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm blessed to have a busy chaotic house from Rosh Chodesh. My marrieds with their littles, my own not-so-little but always hungry school kids, mesivta, beis medrash boys, seminary and working daughters all want a hot supper....but all come in at different times!

Would love ideas of easy meals, either in the crock pot, or one pot in the oven that they can warm up whenever they want..

TIA!

I assume you’re looking for kosher for Pesach?

Salmon and potatoes (would probably take two pans, because they cook for different amounts of time)
Chicken and quinoa
Have them grill- chicken, hot dogs, burgers, steak, whatever! Even vegetables

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:18 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I assume you’re looking for kosher for Pesach?

Salmon and potatoes (would probably take two pans, because they cook for different amounts of time)
Chicken and quinoa
Have them grill- chicken, hot dogs, burgers, steak, whatever! Even vegetables

Actually looking for easy chametz meals! There's still 2 weeks till Pesach...

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:19 pm
Any crockpot meal
Chicken and potatoes
Soup with chicken breast

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:21 pm
amother Orchid wrote:
Any crockpot meal
Chicken and potatoes
Soup with chicken breast

Do you have any exact recipes? Thanks!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:35 pm
amother OP wrote:

Oh well then that’s easy too!

Chicken and rice
A meat stew
Salmon and vegetables (you can wrap the salmon in foil and surround it with vegetables)
Grill!!!!

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:41 pm
Bh I have the same “problem”. We bbq a lot! And fries in oven. Either quick salad or roasted vegis. We also order a lot from pizza/bagel type places these 2 weeks for breakfast/lunch. I do have a rule we don’t buy takeout twice in one day so everyone decides if we’re buying that day what meal. And if the weather allows we set the table up on the porch and eat there. It’s so much easier the mess stays there and the littles end up playing a lot more outside. For snacks besides the obvious bags and bakery stuff we make smoothies.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

OP your tittle says Erev Pesach so lots of people will also assume non chametz meals

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:50 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
OP your tittle says Erev Pesach so lots of people will also assume non chametz meals

Thanks good point! I'll try and change it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:52 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:

Changed the title. Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 2:36 pm
I find that cooking up a pot of pasta at the beginning of the week is very helpful. I rinse in a colander, drain and toss with some oil so it doesn't stick. Seal in a ziploc bag with the air pressed out.

Easy to warm up with salt in microwave. Add sauce and cheese and bake a portion. Make pasta salad. Warm with garlic and parsley for a side dish you forgot to make.

Keep frozen pizza around.

Lots of cold cuts or even just grilled chicken to slice up thinly as needed and eat cold- really delicious.

Put up a crockpot of meatballs or dark chicken balls in sauce. Ready in 6 hours on low.

Stew in crockpot will take 10 hours on low or 5 on high. Everyone can dish out a bowl when they're ready.

On a cookie sheet you can make a bunch of eggs in a frame in one shot. Or pour lightly beaten eggs over chopped veggies and bake for a frittata or omelet that be cut into wedges and served to a crowd.

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Apr 01 2024, 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 2:37 pm
I dont recall how long I cook the chicken and potatoes for
I think on high for a few hours
The soup was in amis whisk

These might be helpful
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....47409

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 2:44 pm
My easiest, fan favorite "recipe". I've made it both with bone-in chicken and boneless.

Place however many pieces of chicken you need in crocpot. Pour in a generous amount of salsa. Cook on low for 8 hours. Make rice and cut up veggies.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 3:03 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I find that cooking up a pot of pasta at the beginning of the week is very helpful. I rinse in a colander, drain and toss with some oil so it doesn't stick. Seal in a ziploc bag with the air pressed out.

Easy to warm up with salt in microwave. Add sauce and cheese and bake a portion. Make pasta salad. Warm with garlic and parsley for a side dish you forgot to make.

Keep frozen pizza around.

Lots of cold cuts or even just grilled chicken to slice up thinly as needed and eat cold- really delicious.

Put up a crockpot of meatballs or dark chicken balls in sauce. Ready in 6 hours on low.

Stew in crockpot will take 10 hours on low or 5 on high. Everyone can dish out a bowl when they're ready.

On a cookie sheet you can make a bunch of eggs in a frame in one shot. Or pour lightly beaten eggs over chopped veggies and bake for a frittata or omelet that be cut into wedges and served to a crowd.

Thank you!

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 3:05 pm
nothing is easy for a crowd but some is easier than others.

Also if you have helpful adult kids maybe they can help cook.

Spaghetti and meat sauce works well.

chicken stir fry with rice or noodles. (v easy noodle recipe - boil a lot of asian noodles, saute onion, throw in cooked noodles with soy sauce and sesame oil to taste.)

dairy lasagna or mac and cheese, with a hearty lentil veg soup and salad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics