Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Anyone traveling for the solar eclipse?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 9:24 am
I love nature and interesting natural phenomena. Lightening, rainbows (shh don’t tell) storms, hail, snow etc all fascinate me.

I thought the 2017 solar eclipse was epic. I wasn’t in the path of totality but really enjoyed the experience.

I am considering traveling to be in the path of totality this time around.

Am I crazy for doing this?

Is anyone living in the path of totality up to date in traffic predictions? Is it really going to be crazy traffic everywhere?

Would love to hear if anyone else is considering traveling to experience the total eclipse

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:23 am
I'm fairly close to totality. The highways have been having signs warning eclipse viewers to "arrive early, stay late" due to the expected traffic.

We are not planning on going, but totally understand those who are!

amother
Red

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:23 am
I thought about going to spend Shabbos with relatives in Toronto and stopping on the way home somewhere to get a good view, but we have obligations that will keep us from traveling this weekend. Oh well. At least NYC will still get to see a partial eclipse.

OP, you're a little late to the party. Most of the states/counties in the path of totality have already declared states of emergency due to the expected influx of tourists. Hotels have all been booked up for months already. You may be able to just drive to the area the day of the eclipse, but you may have a hard time finding somewhere to park and view it and the traffic is expected to be insane.

A good resource if you're staying home: https://www.nasa.gov/news-rele.....here/

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:24 am
Does anyone know if Boro Park to Lakewood will be affected that afternoon?

amother
Heather

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:34 am
My husband is planning to drive to Syracuse!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Heather wrote:
My husband is planning to drive to Syracuse!

Nice! Is he staying over night?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 12:38 pm
amother Red wrote:
I thought about going to spend Shabbos with relatives in Toronto and stopping on the way home somewhere to get a good view, but we have obligations that will keep us from traveling this weekend. Oh well. At least NYC will still get to see a partial eclipse.

OP, you're a little late to the party. Most of the states/counties in the path of totality have already declared states of emergency due to the expected influx of tourists. Hotels have all been booked up for months already. You may be able to just drive to the area the day of the eclipse, but you may have a hard time finding somewhere to park and view it and the traffic is expected to be insane.

A good resource if you're staying home: https://www.nasa.gov/news-rele.....here/

I have relatives or friends in many of the cities of totality… no need for hotel

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:21 pm
My son might need to travel to Rochester for business so I might hop along for the ride.
Problem is I don’t know if I could take the time out from Pesach cleaning to go it will be a whole day.

patzer

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 9:43 pm
amother OP wrote:
I love nature and interesting natural phenomena. Lightening, rainbows (shh don’t tell) storms, hail, snow etc all fascinate me.

I thought the 2017 solar eclipse was epic. I wasn’t in the path of totality but really enjoyed the experience.

I am considering traveling to be in the path of totality this time around.

Am I crazy for doing this?

I almost think that the "crazy" ones are the ones that aren't doing it. Laugh
And for those that are saying, "I watched it last time, it wasn't anything special...", were you in the path of totality?
To quote a seasoned eclipse chaser, "the difference between a partial eclipse and a total eclipse is like the difference between a paper cut and stepping on a landmine".
Two completely different experiences.

Happydance

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 9:46 pm
Im so tempted

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:05 pm
My husband is taking 3 kids. He went to the eclipse in 2017 too.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:05 pm
I live in Montreal so I'm lucky.

realsilver

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:20 pm
Are there any safety concerns? I don't hear anyone talking about the need for glasses like in 2017

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:22 pm
realsilver wrote:
Are there any safety concerns? I don't hear anyone talking about the need for glasses like in 2017

Yes there are safety concerns and yes there is much talk about the need for glasses if you’re planning to look up at the sun

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:37 pm
I'm in NYC and feel firmly in the category of "so close yet so far." Technically close enough to hop in a car and be part of something epic, but realistically it's in middle of the day on a work and school day and traffic is supposed to be insane and even on a good day it's a good few hours each way so I'm going to be one of those people who just sit out a once in a lifetime opportunity. I guess it's lucky for people like me that at least there will be several trillion videos of it to see instead.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:41 pm
I got my kids those glasses lol

Buffalo is 100% so go there!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:41 pm
I'm literally 30-40 minutes from totality, but I'm sure it will be much worse with traffic. Don't really want to dedicate so much of my day to it. We have 99.3% here so it feels a little stupid not to go further, but...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:42 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
Does anyone know if Boro Park to Lakewood will be affected that afternoon?

How do I find out?

redrose

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 4:50 pm
so where is the closest place to travel to from NYC. Syracuse? I want 100%

amother
Red

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:10 pm
patzer wrote:
I almost think that the "crazy" ones are the ones that aren't doing it. Laugh
And for those that are saying, "I watched it last time, it wasn't anything special...", were you in the path of totality?
To quote a seasoned eclipse chaser, "the difference between a partial eclipse and a total eclipse is like the difference between a paper cut and stepping on a landmine".
Two completely different experiences.

I would really love to. I was really sick in bed for the last one so I missed it completely. But I have a close friend's bar mitzvah Sunday night and my daughter has a school play Monday evening that she's been working towards all year. So there's just not enough time to drive anywhere that has totality and make it back. Oh well. I'll have to make do with a partial eclipse.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics