Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What's your favorite fantasy series?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 5:19 am
Does not need to be Jewish/clean. Can be for kids as long as adults would enjoy it too.

amother
Opal

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 5:23 am
Harry Potter. Hands down.

amother
Tomato

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 5:25 am
amother Opal wrote:
Harry Potter. Hands down.

Goes without saying

As a child I enjoyed

Keeper of the lost cities

Artemis Fowl

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 5:42 am
Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight archives

Pat Rothfuss Kingkiller chronicles, if you don't mind a lengthy wait till he finishes the last one.

Tolkien's Lord of the Rings

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 5:59 am
I used to enjoy the series Once Upon a Time which brought famous classic fairy tales to life, intertwining them with each other and modern characters. Just the concept was right up my alley. However, it did start to get tedious after a few seasons and I stopped watching.

amother
Garnet

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 6:11 am
amother Hibiscus wrote:
I used to enjoy the series Once Upon a Time which brought famous classic fairy tales to life, intertwining them with each other and modern characters. Just the concept was right up my alley. However, it did start to get tedious after a few seasons and I stopped watching.

Same. Loved the first season. The rest, not as much, although I did watch it all the way through (skipping a bit like the parts with alice...) which is a first for me. I almost always bore of a show after 5 seasons.
Loved the musical episode!!

Harry potter is my favourite series. I love fantasy

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 7:15 am
I love the Allana the Lioness books. There's a bunch of mini series and they're all great!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 7:20 am
I enjoyed Narnia.
It does contain Cristian thought that many want to avoid.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 7:27 am
Mistborn and the Stormlight Archives by Brandon Sanderson (and also his one-off stories like Yumi and the Nightmare Painter or Elantris).

The Dresden Files, Codex Alera and Cinder Spires series by Jim Butcher are very very fun. I wouldn’t let kids read the Dresden Files, the urban fantasy series wears its detective noir influence on its sleeve, so there’s curse words and descriptions of too many gorgeous women… it fits the genre but yeah. Not for kids. Still, brilliant kitchen-sink-fantasy world building that keep pace with the protagonist as he grows in power and knowledge of the world. This is how you write character growth and power progression. Amazing to see where Harry Dresden started and where he’s up to now, but it all makes sense.

Wayward Children by Seanan McGuire is a series of novellas about children who came back to our world from portal fantasy worlds, and how they deal with the grief and loss of leaving a place like Narnia, Wonderland, or the Underworld. Each book focuses on a student at a boarding school that was made for children who haven’t given up on finding their “door” again. The writing is heartbreaking and poetic, absolutely gorgeous. Content warnings for LGBTQ+ characters (including trans, ace and intersex), autism and OCD, and one character who escapes being molested by her step father as a child. These books get dark, but always with fierce hope and humanity.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Mon, Apr 01 2024, 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 7:34 am
Can you post what ages your suggestions are for?
My 11 year old's favorite is Keeper of the Lost Cities. And I would love to get some more suggestions here that are age appropriate.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:20 am
Queen's thief series by Megan Whalen turner is absolutely incredible. I'm usually good at "figuring out" books but those I kept being surprised at.

A court of thorns and roses by Sarah j maas. Lots of inappropriate scenes I skipped but still very good story.

Coke Slurpee

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:50 am
Robbin Hobb
Brandon Sanderson- mistborn series
Robert Jordan-Wheel of Time series
Chuck Wendig - Wanderers series (it's not finished yet)
Jim Butcher- Codex Alera

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:54 am
amother Trillium wrote:
I love the Allana the Lioness books. There's a bunch of mini series and they're all great!

Omg flashback! I looooooved those book!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:55 am
amother Ecru wrote:
Queen's thief series by Megan Whalen turner is absolutely incredible. I'm usually good at "figuring out" books but those I kept being surprised at.

A court of thorns and roses by Sarah j maas. Lots of inappropriate scenes I skipped but still very good story.

I was so confused by those books. I had to read them a few times to understand. Could be I was too young the first time.

readreread

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 8:56 am
imasinger wrote:
Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight archives

Pat Rothfuss Kingkiller chronicles, if you don't mind a lengthy wait till he finishes the last one.

Yes to both! But also Rothfuss is never gonna finish Kingkiller, and it breaks my heart....

Speaking of book series that will never be finished, Scott Lynch's Gentleman Bastards series is fantastic.

thriver

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 9:31 am
The Tapestry series by Henry Neff. Very Harry Potter like. Overall clean. Does have some ideas of gods, and mild romance (at least through the third book. I haven’t gotten further).

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 9:37 am
I don’t know if it’s known here (I grew up in Europe) and not a necessarily a series, it’s two books
But as a kid I adored Toby Alone , followed by Toby and the secrets of the tree, by Thimotee de fombelle.

I was a real bookworm, I read hundreds of books as a kid, but this is one of the only ones I remember, I read it multiple times (besides for Harry Potter of course!)

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:02 am
And the Arthur series by luc besson was also great!

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:08 am
Harry Potter is the only fantasy series I like.

tigerwife

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 10:20 am
Gerald Morris’s Squire’s Tale series is amazing especially if you like Arthurian lore. Bonus is that they’re really funny.

I liked Scholomance by Naomi Novik although the third book kind of ruined it for me. All of her books are fantastic. Her Temeraire series is pretty epic. She’s a great author who manages to expertly change her writing style and voice in each world and excels at all of them.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room