Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Help. With concerta

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:15 pm
My 6 year old daughter was just put on concerta 18. I’m losing my mind. We live in a small apartment so everyone is basically up with her. Tonight I I sent her to my sister so the others can fall asleep. I feel like I’m losing my relationship with my daughter. It’s been a week I don’t see any significant difference that tells me to keep doing it. Tonight for the 3/4 time she completely lost all control. She was really hurting me. Please advise. I’m calling my ped tomorrow to update him. But anyone it there that has experience that can advise me would be appreciated. Thank you

teachkids

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:17 pm
Not every med works for every child. Ask your ped when do you give up on this one and try something else

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:26 pm
Why not Ritalin?

tree of life

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:28 pm
Give melatonim
That's what we did for my son when he was on it to get him to sleep

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:04 pm
I have two kids on concerta you should see a difference within two days. If you're not seeing any improvement at all, it's not the right medication. Having said that, the rebound effects are very very tough for the first 3 weeks or so. There will be about an hour in the afternoon when they literally are climbing the walls. You need to plan for that beforehand but it doesn't last, they get used to the medication.
About the sleeping, start giving the concerta earlier in the morning, I wake them up at 6, give it and then they go back to sleep until it starts working. Half an hour before bedtime give 1mg of melatonin and then again at bedtime. Once you get into a good routine, she'll need less because the body adjusts.

For whoever asked why not ritalin, ritalin is 4 hours, concerta is the same drug as ritalin but it lasts 12 hours.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 11:25 pm
if it's rebound then give her something sweet and extra attention at that hour when she needs it

and I second melatonin

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:21 am
It doesn’t sound like a good medication for her. Try something else, maybe a lower dose. Tell the doctor what you are seeing.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 1:24 am
amother Green wrote:
I have two kids on concerta you should see a difference within two days. If you're not seeing any improvement at all, it's not the right medication. Having said that, the rebound effects are very very tough for the first 3 weeks or so. There will be about an hour in the afternoon when they literally are climbing the walls. You need to plan for that beforehand but it doesn't last, they get used to the medication.
About the sleeping, start giving the concerta earlier in the morning, I wake them up at 6, give it and then they go back to sleep until it starts working. Half an hour before bedtime give 1mg of melatonin and then again at bedtime. Once you get into a good routine, she'll need less because the body adjusts.

For whoever asked why not ritalin, ritalin is 4 hours, concerta is the same drug as ritalin but it lasts 12 hours.

They have long lasting Ritalin pills that are slow release that last 10 hours. Sometimes it’s also better to give 2 four hour pills instead of one 8-12 hour pill.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)