Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
I just want a heter for minor fasts!!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

asmileaday

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 1:08 pm
Am I the only one? To me it seems your Rav said try. Which doesn't mean you must. You tried and it's not working. Go eat.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 1:14 pm
amother Wallflower wrote:
The lack of food and drink is affecting your mind. 17 teves isn't a fast day. Mental confusion can be a sign of dehydration, in which case, methinks you need to drink something, stat.
That's my Purim Torah for today.

I think she confused 17 Tammuz and 9 av

kenz

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:00 pm
Also be aware that drinking a little water for medicine to go down is not usually considered breaking a fast on minor fasts and I believe Tisha B’Av as well. Of the AYLR.

imaima

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not nursing and I don't think I'm pregnant. But I'm a mother of young children who are home all day on fast days. I can't survive. I can't just hibernate in my room and sleep to cope.

DH asked our Rav and all he said was, "She should try to fast. She should take it easy" There is no taking it easy!! Yeah, I'm not taking them on a field trip today, but staying home with littles and taking it easy are incompatible.

Rabbis are clueless

Answer: If I take it easy, it will be pikuach nefesh for my kids.

I am totally with you. I hardly ever fast.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:03 pm
I hate to be that person, but it’s actually not a nidche. The proper term is mukdam.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:08 pm
OP did you ask specifically for this fast??
Taanis Esther is different than other fast according to halacha. The other fast are mourning whilst this is a simcha fast.
According to mishna brura/shulchan aruch -im not sure which sefer DH learnt recently with a Rav (ashkanazi/Israeli) about fasts. It says there even if you are feeling well but your eyes hurt you can break your fast on taanis Esther. And this year even more lenient as it's not on the correct day.

I ended up breaking at 11ish since I was coming down with a headache and I have been having terrible migraines recently I was worried it would turn into one.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:12 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Am I the only one? To me it seems your Rav said try. Which doesn't mean you must. You tried and it's not working. Go eat.

This. Was thinking the same

amother
DarkViolet

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:12 pm
Can you get help with the kids? Is your dh working?

patzer

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:34 pm
amother DarkGreen wrote:
I hate to be that person, but it’s actually not a nidche. The proper term is mukdam.

Thanks for mentioning that; I was never quite sure what the correct term was.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 3:42 pm
patzer wrote:
Thanks for mentioning that; I was never quite sure what the correct term was.

Does niche specifically mean pushed forward? I thought it just means pushed aside….

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:15 pm
imaima wrote:
Rabbis are clueless

Answer: If I take it easy, it will be pikuach nefesh for my kids.

I am totally with you. I hardly ever fast.

Why is this ok??

anonymous mom

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 4:40 pm
Just because your rav said this when you asked doesn't mean it's written in stone. Call him again now, let him know how you're feeling now and ask how to go forward. Frankly I'm very surprised he told you to fast today being that you're a working mother of young children with no help and it's not even truly taanis esther today.

mom37

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:34 pm
I think next time you need to clarify what “try” to fast means. At what point is it okay to break your fast? In the past my Rav has told me to try to fast until it is too difficult but when I questioned him further to qualify what this meant he said I shouldn’t push myself too hard and once I get hungry I should break my fast. In addition it helps if you speak to your Rav directly to show your perspective.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 5:35 pm
mom37 wrote:
I think next time you need to clarify what “try” to fast means. At what point is it okay to break your fast? In the past my Rav has told me to try to fast until it is too difficult but when I questioned him further to qualify what this meant he said I shouldn’t push myself too hard and once I get hungry I should break my fast. In addition it helps if you speak to your Rav directly to show your perspective.

I think next time Op needs to be the one to ask.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:13 pm
I have young kids. I try to put on a video or let them nap with me

meyerlemon44

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:20 pm
amother Natural wrote:
Why is this ok??

Because there are many different opinions about women fasting and because the poster was just sharing her own practice.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:32 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
Does niche specifically mean pushed forward? I thought it just means pushed aside….

Nidche means postponed, meaning a later date.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:36 pm
Taanis Esther is the most lenient of fasts, especially because it's not on its original day. And this year even more so because it's Thursday instead of on Shabbos. Basically, a nidche twice .

imaima

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 6:43 pm
amother Natural wrote:
Why is this ok??

What exactly?

amother
NeonPink

Post Thu, Mar 21 2024, 7:42 pm
I woke up this morning and drank something. Totally out of habit and forgot. Oops.
Then I continued to eat/drink.
I feel bad but also know I get migraines really easily and cannot function.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note