Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Shoes and clothes for seminary
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 1:36 pm
we are starting to shop for spring/summer DD who is in 12th grade. What should we keep in mind regarding seminary while we buy this season? example: what shoes do the girls wear weekday and shabbos for summer and winter? how many weekday outfits aside from uniform? how many shabbps outfits?

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 2:23 pm
Answers may differ based on the seminary she's going to. Are you comfortable sharing which one?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 2:35 pm
she didn't get in yet, but applied to nishmas, bnos yehudis, and zimras. Zimras is her first choice with nishmas as her second.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 4:19 pm
so any ideas, tips etc?

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 4:29 pm
Regarding shoes, mostly shoes she doesn’t mind throwing out after. The girls typically do a lot of walking-so good, not fancy shoes. Definitely no heels!

Shabbos outfits too, most people bring their less fancy shabbos outfits.

Weekday outfits you only need very few because usually she will be wearing the uniform. Even when it’s a day “off” most of the seminaries you listed still require uniform.

chestnut

Post Mon, Feb 26 2024, 4:32 pm
You need sneakers for hikes

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:47 am
I found a packing list on betweencarpools but it seems so super out of date - for example it says the girls just like black skirts and sweaters for shabbos, but that does not sound like what anyone is wearing now. Am I wrong?

She will be in Nishmas-
So....
what weekday shoes?
What shoes for trips?
How many shabbos outfits for each season? what type?
How many regular weekday clothing?
How many uniform skirts? collars? full shirts? sweaters/shirts for over?
Does she wait to buy all toiletries there? school supplies?

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 8:11 am
amother OP wrote:
I found a packing list on betweencarpools but it seems so super out of date - for example it says the girls just like black skirts and sweaters for shabbos, but that does not sound like what anyone is wearing now. Am I wrong?

She will be in Nishmas-
So....
what weekday shoes?
What shoes for trips?
How many shabbos outfits for each season? what type?
How many regular weekday clothing?
How many uniform skirts? collars? full shirts? sweaters/shirts for over?
Does she wait to buy all toiletries there? school supplies?

Tishrei and Nisan are both summer weather in Israel, so she'll need a few summer Shabbos outfits to get through the chagim. Not so many for the winter. Generally speaking, skew towards summer clothing.

I've seen seminary girls wearing dresses, and I've seen them wearing skirts and sweaters for Shabbos. Skirts and sweaters are probably better for relaxing in the dorm.

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 9:04 am
Well, lucky for you Nishmas is low key place. At least this year. I think of all the seminaries this is the one where there is the least peer pressure how to dress. (and other areas). My dd really likes this aspect. Not that no one has nice clothing, but it's totally ok to have not the newest styles and a million things. Whatever you wear is good. Obviously the girls can be different every year.
Either way to answer your q- Seems like during the week most girls wear those white soled black shoes. Theyre good for walking and take a long time to wear down. Dd has those and a loafer for when she wants to look nicer, shabbos shoes, white puma type sneakers for trips/hikes.
uniform skirts- I think we bought 5.
collars/shirts- depends on what she will wear more. DD got a bunch of collars on amazon- maybe about 8? and bought some unishells. I don't think she has any full button down shirts. She took her HS ones too and cut the sleeves.
overshirts/sweaters- we probably overbought but I had no clue how laundry would work and didn't want her to be stuck. I just kept buying whenever I found a good black top. Some are sweaters (the zara one is great) and some are tshirts- thats important for the warm seasons. I think altogether she has somewhere between 10-15. All black because that's what she wanted but you can definitely get some blue, gray..
shabbos clothing- honestly didn't buy anything new for sem. She brought the winter and summer stuff she was wearing that 12th grade year. Probably she has about 8 outfits alltogether. It is good to have some mix and match, like a nice top that can go with 2 option skirts. To be honest she did tell me she's getting bored of her shabbos clothing but I think everyone must be by now.
good luck.
It's good to start buying now slowly so the $$ doesn't all go at once, and it's less overwhelming.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 10:50 am
My daughter's is in seminary this year (not nishmas) but another BY seminary, and I think amother marigold is accurate.

My daughter did mention she was surprised that people brought quite a few nicer weekday outfits (like for chol hamoed or off days), and she was more wearing her uniform skirt and tops. But it was fine. To be honest, I don't know how they had room to pack it!

You can check Zara, Banana Republic Factory, and such sites for thin sweaters to wear with the collars. We found t-shirts in Fame. And then just random places, if you start keeping an eye out for it now, you'll have enough. We also sent 10-15. Some things get mysteriously lost, and some things get ruined, so I think its good to send a bit more than just enough.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 12:14 pm
Thank you so much for the clear, comprehensive answers!

When you say the black shoes with white soles....DD just said this morning that she thinks they are Vince. I looked them up, they are super, super chunky with 2" sole - is that the right one? DD is more on the eidle side in dress, I wonder if she will be comfortable in them. Is that what "everyone" has or is there another "acceptable" option. (I know, she should do her, but it is hard not to have what others do).

amother
Marigold

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 12:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you so much for the clear, comprehensive answers!

When you say the black shoes with white soles....DD just said this morning that she thinks they are Vince. I looked them up, they are super, super chunky with 2" sole - is that the right one? DD is more on the eidle side in dress, I wonder if she will be comfortable in them. Is that what "everyone" has or is there another "acceptable" option. (I know, she should do her, but it is hard not to have what others do).

Vince are $$$. No, there is not just 1 company that makes that style shoe and I'm sure your dd knows that. "Everyone" doesn't have that designer brand, though I can't say if everyone is wearing that style shoe altogether. I do think it's pretty common. My dd has steve madden ones. I don't how many inches high the sole is but the standard that I'm used to seeing. You can find other regular companies with that style shoe online.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:49 pm
yes, they are definitely much more than I would spend on shoes. I would find something similar if that is THE shoe. But is that THE ONLY style the girls like? any other suggestions?

eta - I just looked up steve madden, there are a bunch of styles with different soles. One that looks chunky but not too chunky is 1.25 inch sole. Much better to me than the 2" vince. Or was I looking at the wrong Vince in the first place?

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 2:55 pm
She can pick any comfortable school shoe that she likes that goes with a uniform. It doesn't *have* to be the black shoe/white sole. Whatever she likes that she normally wears or that her friends wear this year also. Its just a regular school shoe, maybe a bit more comfortable/durable because of all the walking. She doesn't have to overthink it.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 4:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
yes, they are definitely much more than I would spend on shoes. I would find something similar if that is THE shoe. But is that THE ONLY style the girls like? any other suggestions?

eta - I just looked up steve madden, there are a bunch of styles with different soles. One that looks chunky but not too chunky is 1.25 inch sole. Much better to me than the 2" vince. Or was I looking at the wrong Vince in the first place?

There are ways to get Vince for cheaper. I don’t spend more than $75 maybe $80 a pair

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 6:44 pm
[quote="amother Antiquewhite"]There are ways to get Vince for cheaper. I don’t spend more than $75 maybe $80 a pair[/quote

links?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Tue, Mar 05 2024, 7:11 pm
Amazon warehouse

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:06 am
amazon warehouse is so rare to find in my experience - am I missing something? Can you share links?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 8:55 am
https://www.amazon.com/Vince-W.....ss_tl

essie14

Post Wed, Mar 06 2024, 9:39 am
You do not need to pack toiletries or school supplies. That's all available here and will take up valuable weight allowance in her luggage.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info