Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Do you give vaccines if your child has a cold?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:57 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
My child had low immunity and Dr felt he should have the vaccine even with a cold rather the catch something worse. He'd already had chickenpox twice that winter, pneumonia, RSV and c-diff.....

Guess there are no blanket rules either way, ask a Dr who knows your child.

How does one get chicken pox twice?????

lilytee

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 12:58 am
No.

I don’t pile on things my child body will need to deal with when they’re sick.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 2:01 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
How does one get chicken pox twice?????

You don’t necessarily Mount a good immune response with chicken pox in a baby under a year old. (My dc had chicken pox at 7 months old and we ended up giving booster vaccine at 5 yrs).

Also, in an immunocompromised child or child with immune deficiency, they’ll also be susceptible to chicken pox again.

Amothers above who said your child had a low immune system- what do you mean with that?

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 2:04 am
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
You don’t necessarily Mount a good immune response with chicken pox in a baby under a year old. (My dc had chicken pox at 7 months old and we ended up giving booster vaccine at 5 yrs)

No she said her child contracted chicken pox twice in one winter.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 2:06 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
No she said her child contracted chicken pox twice in one winter.

Did she mention age?

How is what I’m saying contradicting? (Not saying this was the case, but just explaining how it can happen).

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 2:08 am
amother OP wrote:
My Daughter is 16 month has a low immune system but is so behind on her vaccines cos she has a cold all winter so far. I really dont want to give if she has a cols.
What can I do?
Have you given vaccines with a cold?
If your are anti vaccine please do not respond.
Thanks

What does low immune system mean here?

And yes, I’ve given vaccines with a cold and low grade fever under the guidance of an exceptional dr to a child that was immunocompromised.

amother
Glitter

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 3:00 am
No.
My kids pediatrician will not give unless child is in optimal health.
Obviously talking about a healthy child. I dont know what his answer would be for a child with any heath concerns.

My 4 yo is behind with one shot.

My 1.5 yo I need to start now once she's feeling better and her runny nose is gone.

My other kids between the ages of 5 and 10 are all up do date. At times they were a bit late. But eventually all caught up.

My 4 yo has a bit of a low immune system. It takes him a long time to get better from any sickness.
After his second shot. (Mmr) he had a runny nose for close to a year. I remember he got his shot before pesach. The next year purim time his nose finally cleared up.
Then he got the next one. And his constant nose drip came back.... I shtupped him with immune boosters and gut health stuff. As much as he was willing to take. I bribed the world into him....
And bh in a few weeks it was gone. Since then, I've learned what works for him and other than a daily immune booster, I have the strong stuff for after/during sickness ans after shots. And bh bh that works. Amother one of my kids had a constant drop too. No amount of immune boosters ans vitamins helped. She's able to swallow pills so we tried so many things.
Turns out it was environmental allergies.
Although it didn't come up with the allergist, the pediatrician did agree to try allergy meds and that helped. Once I knew what it was. I "cleaner" up her room (new hypoallergenic bedding. Got rid of the rug. And a lot more of these types of things) and then we stopped the allergy meds. Bh she's been good since.

Maybe try to give you child some good immune boosters for a week. If that doesn't work, try the allergy route.
Good luck.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 5:49 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Doubting because medically chicken pox you gain immunity for life. Twice in one winter seems like it may have been misdiagnosed

It's unusual but as I mentioned my child had low immunity. Also if a child gets chicken pox under one year it's not rare to catch it again.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 7:05 am
If you get chicken pox under age 1, it's possible to get it again. I had it as a baby and got it again at 5. My parents were shocked, I remember them saying to the doctor "but how? She had it already!" And I remember him explaining that it doesn't count under age 1.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:23 am
amother DarkKhaki wrote:
You don’t necessarily Mount a good immune response with chicken pox in a baby under a year old. (My dc had chicken pox at 7 months old and we ended up giving booster vaccine at 5 yrs).

Also, in an immunocompromised child or child with immune deficiency, they’ll also be susceptible to chicken pox twice.

Amothers above who said your child had a low immune system- what do you mean with that?

My child was a preemie, in and out of hospital for first 3 years of his life. He was fed via NG tube, was on oxygem, picc lines, IVAB and caught everything going round..and everything that wasn't going round.. One of his bouts of chicken pox landed him back in hospital as they were infected.

blood tests for immunity showed low levels, I havn't got the results to hand but trust me, they were low. Some of the vaccines my dr said to wait, but those that were safe for him he said not to delay even if he had a cold. Not having them was worse, he weighed up each one on a case by case basis.

amother
Aconite

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:31 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
Chicken pox twice? In the winter? Uumm you sure?

Right. Probably impetigo. No way chicken pox twice

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:34 am
amother Aconite wrote:
Right. Probably impetigo. No way chicken pox twice

I love the way people are telling me my child could not have had chicken pox twice! Read my post above. Just because you've not heard of it it doesn't mean it can't happen.

I can post his medical notes on here if you want....all 5,000 pages of them.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:39 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
I love the way people are telling me my child could not have had chicken pox twice! Read my post above. Just because you've not heard of it it doesn't mean it can't happen.

I can post his medical notes on here if you want....all 5,000 pages of them.

Getting it twice over the span of three years is very much a thing, especially if the first time the baby was under a year...but to get chicken pox twice over the span of three months?? Yes, would love to read case studies, this stuff fascinates me.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:42 am
amother Camellia wrote:
Doctors are not the end all. Sometimes they don’t know. The truth is vaccines overload the immune system and you should never give them while a child is on antibiotics or fighting something

Antibiotics means there’s something going on more than just a cold.
Doctors are not the end all, no one is because we are all human and fallible. However, if you don’t trust your doctor to have your child’s best interest at heart, the. You either need to do some work on your own, or you need a new doctor.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:45 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
Getting it twice over the span of three years is very much a thing, especially if the first time the baby was under a year...but to get chicken pox twice over the span of three months?? Yes, would love to read case studies, this stuff fascinates me.

As my doctor said when I asked him if it's normal to get chicken pox twice 'no it's not normal but since when does 'normal' apply to this miracle of a child!'?

(Survived birth against all odds. Was without oxygen for 9 minutes and didn't suffer any brain damage. And more.)

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:46 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
As my doctor said when I asked him if it's normal to get chicken pox twice 'no it's not normal but since when does 'normal' apply to this miracle of a child!'?

(Survived birth against all odds. Was without oxygen for 9 minutes and didn't suffer any brain damage. And more.)

WOW!! Chasdei Hashem!

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:53 am
amother Moonstone wrote:
WOW!! Chasdei Hashem!

Yup chasdei Hashem indeed! That's why I'm finding it amusing that imas are saying it can't be he had chicken pox twice in one Winter....my child has defied many 'rules'.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:55 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
Yup chasdei Hashem indeed! That's why I'm finding it amusing that imas are saying it can't be he had chicken pox twice in one Winter....my child has defied many 'rules'.

Right, I guess your child would be an exception to the rule. In general, its rare for children to get chicken pox twice

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:55 am
amother Dandelion wrote:
My child was a preemie, in and out of hospital for first 3 years of his life. He was fed via NG tube, was on oxygem, picc lines, IVAB and caught everything going round..and everything that wasn't going round.. One of his bouts of chicken pox landed him back in hospital as they were infected.

blood tests for immunity showed low levels, I havn't got the results to hand but trust me, they were low. Some of the vaccines my dr said to wait, but those that were safe for him he said not to delay even if he had a cold. Not having them was worse, he weighed up each one on a case by case basis.

Sounds quite unnerving! I hope you are past all of that now!
I like your pediatrician, sounds like he is taking his responsibility very seriously.

amother
Dandelion

Post Sun, Feb 25 2024, 9:10 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
Sounds quite unnerving! I hope you are past all of that now!
I like your pediatrician, sounds like he is taking his responsibility very seriously.

Yes my pediatrician is a Tzadik of a man! BH my son is now a teenager and healthy. Thank you!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics