Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/O what naive thing have we all done lately?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Red

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:10 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Little sister was trying to impress us with her airport knowledge, she called the concourse 'the intercourse'

This reminds me, when I was in HS, my younger sister went on a trip and brought home a few souvenirs, one of which was a postcard from "Intercourse, PA". I was cringing, watching my mother to see how she'll react.

amother
Milk

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:12 pm
I have a friend. English isn’t her first language. She needed to have surgery. The doctor comes in to talk to her. Asks her something and she tells him that her testicles hurt. She meant to say intestines. The mortification. I don’t think she will ever forget it. And we sure won’t.

ittsamother

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:15 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
I sat down on the couch next to my younger sister (I was married, she was upper elementary) and she says to me “let’s get intimate”.

I’m like wait what?

She meant let’s have an intimate conversation. But weird choice of words.

Reminds me of my sister's coworker, non-Jewish but picked up some vocabulary from around the office, who pulled her aside one time and told her "Let's talk tuchis, what are your plans?"

Cheiny

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:24 pm
amother Banana wrote:
I grew up speaking Yiddish and I’ve never heard that.

Yeah I don’t think it’s a Yiddish word,

amother
Diamond

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:35 pm
I went into the local Makolet and asked for two tray of eggs to the best of my ability
“shtei beitzah-im “

The chassidish lite worker started laughing and asking me if I wanted one or both of his…

I never found the courage to go there again

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:38 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
I went into the local Makolet and asked for two tray of eggs to the best of my ability
“shtei beitzah-im “

The chassidish lite worker started laughing and asking me if I wanted one or both of his…

I never found the courage to go there again

Not ok that he laughed, so inappropriate, I’m so sorry.. It wasn’t that bad of a mistake..

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:50 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Yeah I don’t think it’s a Yiddish word,

It’s Hungarian

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 1:35 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
I grew up in America and live in Israel as an adult. My daughter learned to play the recorder in school and came home playing Jingle Bells one day. I stopped her and asked her if she knows what the song is and she said the teacher told the class that it is just a tune and no one here knows what it is or has associations with it, so there is no problem. But every time my dd played Jingle Bells it really bothered me - not because I thought it was bad for her (she doesn't know it either), but because I moved to Israel to be in a Jewish country and my sweet innocent frummy little girl is coming home with x-mas songs!!!

Did you say something to the teacher? I thinks ots a really bad choice to lie like that, bc kids might grow up and find out the truth.

yellowroses

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 1:39 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
There is a last name Dickman.

d!ck in German means Fat. Dickman means a fat man.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 1:53 pm
My husband went to target to look for
Galoshes which we call rubbers ….the employee sent him to the condoms section…

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 1:57 pm
singleagain wrote:
Did you say something to the teacher? I thinks ots a really bad choice to lie like that, bc kids might grow up and find out the truth.

Possible the teacher didn't know herself!

I have an Israeli relative who'se only been to America a hadful of times in over 40 years. At a family Simcha in America December times he wanted know why they're sellling Succos decorations Chanukah time.

She honestly had no clue!

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 1:59 pm
amother Zinnia wrote:
Possible the teacher didn't know herself!

I have an Israeli relative who'se only been to America a hadful of times in over 40 years. At a family Simcha in America December times he wanted know why they're sellling Succos decorations Chanukah time.

She honestly had no clue!

I think the teacher should still be informed that other parts of the world use that very differently.

ETA the student wouldn't necessarily understand that the teacher didn't know and might say oh my gosh my teacher lied.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 2:01 pm
ittsamother wrote:
Reminds me of my sister's coworker, non-Jewish but picked up some vocabulary from around the office, who pulled her aside one time and told her "Let's talk tuchis, what are your plans?"

LOL LOL LOL LOL

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 2:13 pm
I was staying at a kibbutz and wanted to ask for a piece of cake from the buffet. So I said to the person there, "אני רוצה חתיך." Everyone around me laughed, and only later was I told that I had asked for a hunk- the way it is/was used to mean a gorgeous guy.

kenz

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 2:30 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
LOL She had one or two particularly brilliant parenting moments and this is definitely one of them

Only 1 or 2?? Not sure that’s a compliment…

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 2:30 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
As a teen I used to forward jokes that circled around to family group all the time. One joke I didn’t understand but I forwarded it anyway. It was a dirty joke about confusing books for boo-bs. Later my cousin told me if you don’t understand a joke don’t send it around. was mortified.

🥴that reminds me
When I was a teen we were just starting to get email addresses, and lots of kids would share their parents/family address.
After camp we all swapped numbers and emails (remember taking cute little address books to camp 😁) to keep in touch.
People would always forward around jokes and funny emails.
I would just keep them going and sent them to my new camp friends..
Some of them must have been inappropriate,
I remember one girls father - who’s a rov - writing back telling me it was a family email address and to keep the jokes clean.
I was mortified 😳

kenz

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 2:33 pm
yellowroses wrote:
d!ck in German means Fat. Dickman means a fat man.

That’s awful, especially considering names were generally given for a reason…

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 2:36 pm
amother Peach wrote:
I was staying at a kibbutz and wanted to ask for a piece of cake from the buffet. So I said to the person there, "אני רוצה חתיך." Everyone around me laughed, and only later was I told that I had asked for a hunk- the way it is/was used to mean a gorgeous guy.

lol my sister once proudly told a chashuv rav and his family that she had “harbei chaveirim” in seminary.

kenz

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 2:36 pm
amother Feverfew wrote:
I'm a ganenet and we recently had a child come in wearing a red and green sweater with X-mas trees and reindeer. We decided the mother would prefer to know what it signified, so we told her and she was very grateful. The next day, he wore a gray striped sweater with candy canes and reindeer. We decided to let it go.

She must have accidentally found a good post-Xmas sale 😆

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 2:38 pm
amother Sand wrote:
lol my sister once proudly told a chashuv rav and his family that she had “harbei chaveirim” in seminary.

Ok but to be fair, we generally say it that way. Like "Chaveirim kol yisrael" etc....you'd have to really think to say chaverot, like it doesn't sound as natural to a non-Hebrew speaker. Ben/bat in general...
Page 5 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics