Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/O what naive thing have we all done lately?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Feverfew

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 12:50 am
I'm a ganenet and we recently had a child come in wearing a red and green sweater with X-mas trees and reindeer. We decided the mother would prefer to know what it signified, so we told her and she was very grateful. The next day, he wore a gray striped sweater with candy canes and reindeer. We decided to let it go.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 2:15 am
I know someone from a very sheltered background who is now trying to become a big time make up artist/ influencer. Even though she has become very immersed in culture beyond the very charedi community in which she grew up, she has some huge gaps in her understanding of what is acceptable or not with regards to language and content. Apart from cursing, the other day she posted Kanye West as a huge source of inspiration for her. I mean.... Kanye West? Can't Believe It

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 3:34 am
When I was young (maybe 7,8) I was watching through the window, all the neighborhood ladies going to the Mikvah on erev yk with a mixture of fascination and disgust. “I’m never going to go the Mikvah even when I’m married! That’s just gross!”

My father- “take that back! Take that back now!!!!!”

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 3:38 am
A kid in my class in 11th grade asked a brilliant hashkafa question, “ Are women allowed to go to Mikva?! “
I don’t remember what the teacher answered because I was busy swallowing my giggles.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 3:39 am
I was taught in English class it's called a bottle opener in British English and a cork screw in American English.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 3:45 am
Another one I remember from high school, this kid who comes from a rebbish family was asking what f**k means, that she hears the African Americans say it all the time , and she repeated it a few times loudly, “f f f f , it’s not even a word, what does it mean?!”
We were shrieking at her to be quiet, it was so dramatic!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 3:49 am
amother Fuchsia wrote:
When I was young (maybe 7,8) I was watching through the window, all the neighborhood ladies going to the Mikvah on erev yk with a mixture of fascination and disgust. “I’m never going to go the Mikvah even when I’m married! That’s just gross!”

My father- “take that back! Take that back now!!!!!”

What made you think a mikva is gross? Swimming pools are far dirtier

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 3:55 am
One more from my chassidish High school, we were having a chilled chat with the teacher during the lesson and a kid told the teacher about someone who was so mean to her, that person is an “itch with a b!”

yellowroses

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 5:31 am
amother Hosta wrote:
In line with your snoopy Xmas note, I used to see little kids dressed up as Santa Claus on Purim in Israel. The whole get up with fake white beards, red hat and suit and for some reason some wore wire rimmed fake glasses. I don’t know if they still do that. I found it jarring seeing mini santa clauses walking around with mm in artzeinu hakdosha.

They think it’s a cute costume for cute garden gnomes or so. They also sell x mas ornaments for sukkot in Israel 😂

yellowroses

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 5:34 am
amother Pewter wrote:
I know someone from a very sheltered background who is now trying to become a big time make up artist/ influencer. Even though she has become very immersed in culture beyond the very charedi community in which she grew up, she has some huge gaps in her understanding of what is acceptable or not with regards to language and content. Apart from cursing, the other day she posted Kanye West as a huge source of inspiration for her. I mean.... Kanye West? Can't Believe It

But where does she get her news from? Kanye West = bad/crazy guy was all over the news.

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 5:56 am
Believing activist influencers is the most naive thing people can do. The more activist the less believable. Especially when they are influencing a crowd from a different culture. You would never know how many micro lies they are selling you because you are from a different culture.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:00 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
What made you think a mikva is gross? Swimming pools are far dirtier

My sister told me that all the women go naked together at the same time… so ya…

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 7:23 am
yellowroses wrote:
But where does she get her news from? Kanye West = bad/crazy guy was all over the news.

I know, right?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 8:06 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
I was taught in English class it's called a bottle opener in British English and a cork screw in American English.

Wait, but that's true. I say cork screw all the time (I'm American)

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 8:28 am
Someone I know nicknamed her baby “boobah” as in a doll. She then shortened it to “boobie” and used that name for a few weeks. I guess until someone told her something. (I didn’t have a close enough relationship with her to bring up a conversation about it)

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:20 am
amother Pewter wrote:

Instead of writing about it here maybe you can tell her privately what’s wrong with saying that.

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:26 am
We had to prepare from Kitzur Shulchan Aruch for homework about the five restrictions of Yom Kippur - achila, shesiya, neilas hasandal, no bathing, no smearing. We went over it in school, and I called out clueless, "And tashmish hamitta!" My teacher ignored me.

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:55 am
this was my sister... we had a guest at our shabbos table who was talking about a family they know with the last name d*ck - totally normal conversation and then my sister pipes up "hey! isnt that a bad word??"
we were all criiingingggg!!

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:59 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:

I don't get what was naive about this. Are they not actually called different things in America vs England?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:06 am
I was about 9 and used the word s-x in boggle. My mother was horrified she asked where I know that from it was from reading a form to tick which s-x you are. She said never use it again and like the good kid I was I never questioned her.
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics