Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/O what naive thing have we all done lately?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 2:34 pm
amother Forestgreen wrote:
What’s wrong with that?
BO usually stands for body odor, not Bonei Olam.

zaq

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:41 pm
singleagain wrote:
What word do you use for a friend then?

Yedid/yedidah

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:43 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
BO usually stands for body odor, not Bonei Olam.

Thank you. I learned something new!
And thanks for the hearts Rolling Eyes I was asking an innocent question

zaq

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:46 pm
amother Babyblue wrote:
A woman Can't Believe It (imagine taking on that name post marriage, like from Friedman to D!ck. Can’t even spell out her own name here…. Surprised )

Fortunately women now have the option of retaining their birth family name after marriage if they so choose.

sequoia

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:49 pm
This thread is so self-referential.

Seriously, how does someone use the term “working girl” with a straight face?

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 3:52 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
I sat down on the couch next to my younger sister (I was married, she was upper elementary) and she says to me “let’s get intimate”.

I’m like wait what?

She meant let’s have an intimate conversation. But weird choice of words.

Not really. The word intimacy didn't start out meaning s*X. It means "closeness." It's only frum people who use it as a euphemism for the marital act, and that bugs the living daylights out of me. They took a perfectly good word and ruined it. Of course that happens to most euphemisms: people forget the original meaning and then the euphemism is no different from using the word itself.

Online etymological dictionary" intimate" :from Late Latin intimatus, past participle of intimare "make known, announce, impress," from Latin intimus "inmost, innermost, deepest" (adj.), also used figuratively, of affections, feelings, and as a noun, "close friend."

amother
Poinsettia

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:01 pm
effess wrote:
I told my friend by text that I will follow up soon.
I was writing in short and I said I’ll FU soon
Not so much naive, more just oblivious until it was too late.

Actually at some drs offices they use fu for follow up. In inner office messages.

singleagain

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:07 pm
amother Petunia wrote:
Not really. The word intimacy didn't start out meaning s*X. It means "closeness." It's only frum people who use it as a euphemism for the marital act, and that bugs the living daylights out of me. They took a perfectly good word and ruined it. Of course that happens to most euphemisms: people forget the original meaning and then the euphemism is no different from using the word itself.

Online etymological dictionary" intimate" :from Late Latin intimatus, past participle of intimare "make known, announce, impress," from Latin intimus "inmost, innermost, deepest" (adj.), also used figuratively, of affections, feelings, and as a noun, "close friend."

I've def heard of secular ppl using the word intimate to mean sx.

amother
Hunter

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 4:20 pm
amother Petunia wrote:

It’s definitely not a frum person thing!

essie14

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 11:52 am
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Actually at some drs offices they use fu for follow up. In inner office messages.

In places I've worked we use f/u not just fu.

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 1:06 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
What's the shaychus with Secret Garden?

The main character is described multiple times of being very gay (happy) might of even been used on the first page. But it was a word used a lot in the book.

I believe it was also used in Anne of Green Gables as well, another favorite of mine.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 1:27 pm
We used to sing this song in camp really not understanding it...
Homo we go
Lezbi on our way
I love you and you love me its
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

amother
Lightgreen

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 2:17 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
I went into the local Makolet and asked for two tray of eggs to the best of my ability
“shtei beitzah-im “

The chassidish lite worker started laughing and asking me if I wanted one or both of his…

I never found the courage to go there again

I have totally said that!
It doesn't mean two trays of eggs?
What does it mean?!

LovesHashem

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 2:35 pm
a2z wrote:
Why in the world did I get a heart?!

Oh that was me. Just noticed, probably happened while scrolling by mistake. Took it off now.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 3:16 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Maybe I'm naive once again, but what's wrong with using a lingerie store bag? Should a person feel shame in using a lingerie store bag?

I was the one who walked around with it - I was single at the time, and I'm very frum and dress very tzniusly. I didn't really want people to assume that I wore lingerie as young single woman Can't Believe It LOL

JasmineDragon

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 5:51 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
What does it mean?!

I asked my husband (born and raised in Israel) about this, and he didn't get the issue either.

amother
Outerspace

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 6:49 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
I read “Frindle” when I was 8. Decide to make up my own word. Thought long and hard about it. Loudly asked at the Shabbos table if “R*pe” is a word.

Crickets

Father: …why? did you hear that word somewhere?

Me: no. I want to make up a word and I wanted to know if that one is taken.

Everyone breathes a collective sigh of relief

Mother: it probably is. It’s a 4 letter word. I think all 4 letter combinations have been used

Hehe this reminds of the time my friend came for shabbos and we were playing with her polly set. She told me that her polly worked in a store called Lizzy’s Lingerie and I asked her what that is and and she innocently told me that it’s a clothing store and we continued playing … later at the shabbos table I asked my family what lingerie is and my mother said “women’s underwear “ my friend turned red and said “whoops!” Luckily the whole shabbos table erupted in laughter when I explained (my friend included no worries)

CPenzias

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:25 pm
amother Lightgreen wrote:
What does it mean?!

A man's t-sticles

amother
Foxglove

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 7:32 pm
singleagain wrote:
I've def heard of secular ppl using the word intimate to mean sx.

It's used for both. "An intimate conversation" doesn't have any s-xual implications, but "get intimate" is a pretty universal euphemism for having relations.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Feb 24 2024, 8:39 pm
When I was in high school, some girls were talking about kallah classes.
I knew all about s-x and all that, was not naive about any of that, but had never heard of kallah classes (was second to oldest in my family so hadn't come up yet, no older cousins), and assumed it was about the wedding...
So I said "Oh, I always wondered how kallahs know what to do at every part of the wedding"
And based on the snickers, I immediately chapped, but it was too late TMI TMI
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics