Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/O what naive thing have we all done lately?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 5:38 pm
One of my young kids was reading a book. I guess it said something about someone getting a period. She badgered dh for a good ten minutes to tell her what it means.

kenz

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 5:39 pm
amother Fuchsia wrote:
When I was young (maybe 7,8) I was watching through the window, all the neighborhood ladies going to the Mikvah on erev yk with a mixture of fascination and disgust. “I’m never going to go the Mikvah even when I’m married! That’s just gross!”

My father- “take that back! Take that back now!!!!!”

You knew of a women’s mikvah at 7 or 8 years old?

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:01 pm
amother Milk wrote:
I have a friend. English isn’t her first language. She needed to have surgery. The doctor comes in to talk to her. Asks her something and she tells him that her testicles hurt. She meant to say intestines. The mortification. I don’t think she will ever forget it. And we sure won’t.

My husband had a friend in yeshiva from another country who was just learning English who announced he's going to brush his t!ts (teeth). I am sure the boys had a field day with that. Poor guy.

amother
Trillium

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:02 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
I grew up in America and live in Israel as an adult. My daughter learned to play the recorder in school and came home playing Jingle Bells one day. I stopped her and asked her if she knows what the song is and she said the teacher told the class that it is just a tune and no one here knows what it is or has associations with it, so there is no problem. But every time my dd played Jingle Bells it really bothered me - not because I thought it was bad for her (she doesn't know it either), but because I moved to Israel to be in a Jewish country and my sweet innocent frummy little girl is coming home with x-mas songs!!!

That song is actually just a winter related song. There's nothing related to xmas in it. But I can understand not wanting to hear it.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:53 pm
amother Taupe wrote:
🥴that reminds me
When I was a teen we were just starting to get email addresses, and lots of kids would share their parents/family address.
After camp we all swapped numbers and emails (remember taking cute little address books to camp 😁) to keep in touch.
People would always forward around jokes and funny emails.
I would just keep them going and sent them to my new camp friends..
Some of them must have been inappropriate,
I remember one girls father - who’s a rov - writing back telling me it was a family email address and to keep the jokes clean.
I was mortified 😳

I remember those emails! I totally didn’t get how inappropriate some of them were… I remember I sent one about an as s (it’s a donkey, right???) and my friends mother responded telling me it wasn’t appropriate. Hiding

mommyla

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 6:56 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Ok but to be fair, we generally say it that way. Like "Chaveirim kol yisrael" etc....you'd have to really think to say chaverot, like it doesn't sound as natural to a non-Hebrew speaker. Ben/bat in general...

True! I was in a store in Israel with DH and we were looking for a gift for a family friend. DH told the owner that he needed something for his “chaveira” and she side-eyed him and started berating him for buying something for his girlfriend right in front of his beautiful wife LOL before I clarified that it was OUR chaveira…

singleagain

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:39 pm
mommyla wrote:
True! I was in a store in Israel with DH and we were looking for a gift for a family friend. DH told the owner that he needed something for his “chaveira” and she side-eyed him and started berating him for buying something for his girlfriend right in front of his beautiful wife LOL before I clarified that it was OUR chaveira…

What word do you use for a friend then?

amother
Lily

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:40 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
Someone I know nicknamed her baby “boobah” as in a doll. She then shortened it to “boobie” and used that name for a few weeks. I guess until someone told her something. (I didn’t have a close enough relationship with her to bring up a conversation about it)

I still very often call my little on that! I don't think twice!

amother
Butterscotch

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:44 pm
amother Hunter wrote:
I remember those emails! I totally didn’t get how inappropriate some of them were… I remember I sent one about an as s (it’s a donkey, right???) and my friends mother responded telling me it wasn’t appropriate. Hiding

Haha yes all those forwards!
I specifically remember one had a joke about condoms. I naively assumed in was a shortened version of the word condiment and didn’t think twice.

An older friend of mine was reading them with me and said “you know what that is” and I said “yeah of course” thinking she must think I’m really dumb if I don’t know about ketchup and mustard.

Anyways didn’t find what they really were till years later

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:44 pm
Israeli woman walked into a Linen shop asking for 'sh*ts'. Her way of pronouncing sheets.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 9:46 pm
For all you knowing Simcha D*ck, are you referring to the Torontonian? Or is there another one?

amother
Narcissus

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:12 pm
Loving the shout out for my friends father. Yes the Torontonian

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:31 pm
amother Narcissus wrote:
Loving the shout out for my friends father. Yes the Torontonian

Haha me too!

effess

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:44 pm
I told my friend by text that I will follow up soon.
I was writing in short and I said I’ll FU soon
Not so much naive, more just oblivious until it was too late.

Last edited by effess on Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
Mocha

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 10:44 pm
amother Red wrote:
This reminds me, when I was in HS, my younger sister went on a trip and brought home a few souvenirs, one of which was a postcard from "Intercourse, PA". I was cringing, watching my mother to see how she'll react.

I mean, it is a place. What do people who live there say? "So, Where do you live?" "uhh.. some city in PA" I'm sure they're used to it. There's also a nice park in that area (its near Amishtown) that many people go to called Inter..se Park. I don't understand why this name of city and park was not switched but the fact that it's that name, how can you avoid saying its name if your'e there?

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:36 pm
I was a working girl at the time, I was very naive. I told my friend that my mom is soooo frum, she sometimes sleeps in white linen! 😛. My father is normal frum,so he doesn’t. Lol.

My mom was just having the easy way out, only changing her’s to white. I do mostly the same now 🤩

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:38 pm
p**** means a kiss! My family uses it sometimes.

Maybe it’s Hungarian?

amother
Snowflake

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:41 pm
My cousin said she always thought that when her parents didn’t give over things to their hands, that they are in a fight 😂😂😂. She said I used to think ugh! Again they are fighting 😂

essie14

Post Thu, Feb 22 2024, 11:58 pm
amother Diamond wrote:
I went into the local Makolet and asked for two tray of eggs to the best of my ability
“shtei beitzah-im “

The chassidish lite worker started laughing and asking me if I wanted one or both of his…

I never found the courage to go there again

At least 75% of olim make this mistake at some point. It's really really common and not even embarrassing at this point.

amother
Lightpink

Post Fri, Feb 23 2024, 12:08 am
essie14 wrote:
At least 75% of olim make this mistake at some point. It's really really common and not even embarrassing at this point.

What is the correct way to ask for a container of eggs? 🙈
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics