Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What do your kids eat shabbos meals?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 10:56 pm
My kids are so finicky. They eat fish and cucumber salad Challah and that's it. One won't touch fish and will just have Challah and cucumber salad. I'm out of things to give them by the meal. They don't like soup or the main course. Any side dishes they never want to eat. After the fish course they leave the table and their meal is finished.

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 10:58 pm
Would they eat any type of chicken? Shnitzel? Chicken nuggets?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 10:59 pm
Only one of them. But even then it'll only be a small piece.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:02 pm
My very pick child eats either a carrot or pumpkin muffin. It is not very nutritious but it's something to eat.

amother
Sand

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:03 pm
Deli? Or deli roll?

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:04 pm
What do they eat the rest of the week?

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:04 pm
What do they eat during the week?

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:24 pm
Cholent.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:27 pm
Mine all eat challah and fish and desert. Occasionally a starchy side like kugel. I’ve come to terms with that. Hey- it’s cheaper for me! As long as they eat one protein (which fish is) I’m ok with it.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:32 pm
We don’t do a fish or salad course. So after challah (no dips; we don’t fill up on empty calories) in the winter we do soup (we all eat some, some more some less) and then main course. I serve a main and 3 sides (last week was chicken soup, brisket, potato kugel, green beans and rice. Tomorrow is yemenite beef soup, chicken and stuffing, zucchini kugel, apple cranberry crisp) Then dessert. Which is homemade (last week brownie, tomorrow will be skillet chocolate chip cookie) and fruit. They will usually try or eat 2/4 items served which is ok. It all comes back midweek as leftovers and they usually eat it then

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:32 pm
I make my kids cocktail franks for Friday night and they all eat that.

amother
Alyssum

Post Thu, Feb 15 2024, 11:40 pm
If they eat challah and cucumber salad they are not starving.

Today my kids are older and whilst they do have their likes and dislikes they are generally good eaters.

When they were little, some of them would not eat anything but challah and hummus.

I never really made an issue as long as I saw they were eating something. I always offered them the food I made but never insisted they eat it. Gradually they all became more adventurous and broadened their palates considerably.

Disclaimer:
Obviously this isn't the case with everyone extreme fussiness with food can be a sign of difficulties with sensory integration which doesn't be usually occur in a vacuum and warrants further investigation.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:02 am
Also depends on the age.
I know my (younger) kids won't each much by the meal so I we make a bigger breakfast for them (either a yogurt party with all the toppings or some other assortment of cereal and cheese cake)

They used to like deli salad so the day meal was challa, maybe a dip, deli salad and thats it (maybe dessert)
Now DS likes cooked chicken (so I put the chicken from the soup on top of the crock pot)

DD started liking brocoli kugel (picky but likes brocoli kugel go figure) so started making that as well

DH doesn't care, he'll eat whatever is made plus leftovers from Friday night (lucky me, well actually he decides what to make and cooks a lot of the food so really lucky me)

Golde

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:20 am
My 3 yo eats challah and green beans. And dessert.
If we have chicken soup he'll eat that too but I usually don't have the time to make that, apart from yom yov.

The older ones eat more balanced meals. I assume the little one will eat more when he grows up. It's fine with me. Shabbos food is expensive. If one doesn't eat, there'll be more for the rest of us. He surely doesn't starve.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:26 am
My picky eater doesn’t eat much at the Friday night meal either.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:47 am
Interesting. My picky eater who starvs all week literally only eats on shabbos! Same foods during the week deosn't usually interest him either. He eats challa, carrots from the soup, potatoes from the cholent, chicken from the cholent. Used to eat beans but stopped.

amother
Almond

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 12:57 am
One dd eats challah with tomato dip and potato kugel. By day she eats challah, tomato dip and cholent. Older dd eats everything like an adult plus some. She's a tiny skinny kid and eats more than me.
I wish my little one would eat more but she's actually getting pickier as she gets bigger. She knows she'll only get a junky dessert like I've cream by day if she eats either eggs or cholent so she complies.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 2:18 am
Friday night- a bowl of soup with croutons. My oldest will ask me to put chicken on her plate and pop in and out of the dining room to take bites

Lunch- challah and chumus and tomatoes.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 2:31 am
They are kids, let them play. Don’t make a pressure around mealtimes, especially not on Shabbos.

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Feb 16 2024, 2:35 am
I'm the picky eater.

My kids eat: challah, fish, whatever salads and dips I prepare (potato salad, pasta salad, egg salad, green salad, cucumber slices or salad, tomato slices, bean salad, etc.), soup with croutons or matza balls, kugel, sometimes chicken and green beans, and dessert.

Advantages: They get a whole meal!
Disadvantages: If I do any shortcuts to skip parts of the meal they are upset.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children