Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Price to build a new house
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:01 am
amother Pearl wrote:
Why would you build such a small house? The typical development colonial house these days is approximately 4,000 sf. That’s 2,000 per floor. (Not including finished basement)
The cost to build would be about $800,000, the permits, architect, interior designer if you get one, civil engineer if you need one, survey, can be done for another $100,000 on the lower end.
To be safe, because pricing can get wonky from now until you finish the project, and there are often surprises with construction, you should be prepared and have 1 million accessible. Hopefully it’ll cost less, but just in case at least know where you’ll get/ borrow the last 100k.

re the bolded... How can you call 2800sq ft a small house??? That's big! My family of 9 has bli ayin hara been very comfortable in our 1500sq ft home. If your kids grow up in a 2800sqft house then that's all they will know and they will feel squished in anything smaller. People are so spoiled in USA nowadays. How crazy that a house that big is considered small! for heaven's sakes people!

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:34 pm
In Lakewood, if you already have the land then I would say about 1.2 mil. And it will probably end up being in similar price range for 2,800 to 3,500 sq ft. Expesially if you stick with the same amount of bathrooms.

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 6:51 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
re the bolded... How can you call 2800sq ft a small house??? That's big! My family of 9 has bli ayin hara been very comfortable in our 1500sq ft home. If your kids grow up in a 2800sqft house then that's all they will know and they will feel squished in anything smaller. People are so spoiled in USA nowadays. How crazy that a house that big is considered small! for heaven's sakes people!

This. My house is about that size & it's huge! You can do 5 bedrooms with 2000 Sq ft but that would be more compact, add another 1k Sq ft & you have a very roomy house.

I also doubt you can do this in the 500k range but I think you can stay well under 1ml easily if you don't buy into the "this is a must/ you only do it once" mentality. Discipline is key. Spend where it matters.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 7:02 pm
Its not about being spoiled or that 2800 sf is small. Its that generally speaking, when building from scratch, the house is usually much bigger. If you need 2800 sf, you may as well just buy a home that already exists and renovate the inside.

Signed somone with a 2800 sf house and very happy in it.

hello12341

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 7:44 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
This. My house is about that size & it's huge! You can do 5 bedrooms with 2000 Sq ft but that would be more compact, add another 1k Sq ft & you have a very roomy house.

I also doubt you can do this in the 500k range but I think you can stay well under 1ml easily if you don't buy into the "this is a must/ you only do it once" mentality. Discipline is key. Spend where it matters.

As mentioned upthread, it's not a matter of if it's big enough. It's that it's not really cheaper, if at all, so why wouldn't you get bigger for the same price? Your cost on bathrooms, kitchen, etc are exactly the same, and the price for more square feet of bedroom and living room area is just not significant enough to care about at all. You may even find that it's the same price due to the fact that vendors won't come out for jobs under a certain size.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 8:35 pm
I am in the middle of building a house in Lakewood now. Including basement and attic, it is approximately 8,000 square feet (not considered massive). There is a rentable basement. It is considered on the lower end of high end. We are almost done and the cost will be approximately 1.8 million. It is really unrealistic to build for under 1 million in Lakewood. Also, you have to factor in more than what a builder is estimating due to price fluctuations, unexpected expenses etc. Hatzlacha!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 8:45 pm
We are finishing up construction bh on a 4000 sf house. Not finished attic. Yes rentable basement.
It cost about 900k.
3 years ago we got a quote for 525k which quickly became 800k as the job got started. And this quote is for builders grade. The house is pretty standard. Upgraded only the kitchen, master bathroom and lighting.
And this price does not include furniture or lighting fixtures.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 9:11 pm
Just a psa - you can’t figure to the number. Always leave a decent cushion as prices keep going up . dH is a contractor and the cost of everything keeps rising . It’s very hard for anyone to give you an estimate. For ex windows went up 6-8 percent since Jan . That’s a huge jump . Door s window s lumber etc will too so anyone’s quote is not too helpful unless its super current and still…

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 9:11 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
I am in the middle of building a house in Lakewood now. Including basement and attic, it is approximately 8,000 square feet (not considered massive). There is a rentable basement. It is considered on the lower end of high end. We are almost done and the cost will be approximately 1.8 million. It is really unrealistic to build for under 1 million in Lakewood. Also, you have to factor in more than what a builder is estimating due to price fluctuations, unexpected expenses etc. Hatzlacha!

8000 sf is massive. Lol.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 9:46 pm
amother Tan wrote:
8000 sf is massive. Lol.

If she included the basement and attic, it's probably more like 5k sf for just the first and second floor...

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 10:58 pm
Just built a 5k square foot house in Lakewood. Cost $1.5m. Not very high end - beautiful middle of the road. Finished basement but not for tenants. Not including land. Costs are very high these days and a lot of the numbers ppl are posting are not realistic. Speak to a builder for a better quote.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:14 pm
amother Cobalt wrote:
If she included the basement and attic, it's probably more like 5k sf for just the first and second floor...

Correct. The first and second floors total a bit over 5,000 sf. I’m not minimizing its size, and I’m so beyond grateful to be able to have a house this size. I am just saying that when building in Lakewood, it’s not considered massive.

tichellady

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 11:37 pm
amother Cyan wrote:

Literally can’t imagine a house that big. It’s 4x my house and my house feels like a good size

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 12:34 am
amother Cyan wrote:

In what world is an 8000 sq foot house not considered massive.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:24 am
amother Nemesia wrote:

Sf is usually measured by first and second floor. She already confirmed that that's about 5k.

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 8:26 am
amother Nemesia wrote:

The rich world

amother
Mayflower

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:19 am
amother Nemesia wrote:

In the new Alice in Wonderland known as Lakewood. A 3000 sq ft house is considered tiny and an 850 monthly lease for two new cars is not considered profligate.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:27 am
amother Cyan wrote:
Correct. The first and second floors total a bit over 5,000 sf. I’m not minimizing its size, and I’m so beyond grateful to be able to have a house this size. I am just saying that when building in Lakewood, it’s not considered massive.

5000 ft² is very big. Honestly. My house is 3000 ft² with the basement it's 4,500. It's not considered a small house not a starter home. Your house will be massive!

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 9:52 am
amother Lemonchiffon wrote:
5000 ft² is very big. Honestly. My house is 3000 ft² with the basement it's 4,500. It's not considered a small house not a starter home. Your house will be massive!

Agreed. My 3000 Sq ft house is really large, I can't imagine needing more house then that.

Those that responded above that their house cost 1.5ml+, didn't do builder's grade standard. Finishes can be very expensive. You can add 1ml in just upgrades like stonework, pavers, expensive flooring & tiles, upgraded windows & doors, architectural details etc. Kitchens are limitless.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Feb 05 2024, 10:32 am
Those that responded above that their house cost 1.5ml+, didn't do builder's grade standard. Finishes can be very expensive. You can add 1ml in just upgrades like stonework, pavers, expensive flooring & tiles, upgraded windows & doors, architectural details etc. Kitchens are limitless.[/quote]

I responded that I spent $1.5m on a house -

No, upgrades were not $1m and we didn’t go crazy with tiles or kitchen. You may not be from Lakewood or the area, but you need to realize that the cost of construction skyrocketed. We did extremely inexpensive tiles and went with a middle of the road kitchen. Everything adds up quickly.

Also, ppl are questioning the size of 5k sf. It is quite large but most people that build a home these days in Lakewood, are not building smaller. And just keep in mind that people put in typically an in law suite plus bedrooms for chesed and guests so a good chunk of the home is not for the immediate family. There is a ton of chesed done in Lakewood but you won’t realize that when you are not living here.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries