Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
S/o- unique names
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Puppies

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 5:51 pm
I’m so curious what all these unique names are? I can’t think of a single Jewish name that I never heard before. Do you mean not common for your circle?

bp1234

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 5:52 pm
Thanks for starting this thread! I was also curious what would be an “exclusive” name!

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 5:56 pm
Wondering the same. What gives you "rights" to the name over someone else? I have never heard a name that was unique to one person.

amother
Lightblue

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:02 pm
amother Olive wrote:
Wondering the same. What gives you "rights" to the name over someone else? I have never heard a name that was unique to one person.

No-one is saying the name is exclusive, rather the name should be exclusive for them. If a name is a family name then yes, of course lots of cousins will have it. But if someone choses a not common name I can see why it would bother them if their kid is 'one of the Meir Levie's'.

amother
Clover

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:06 pm
They mean a name they chose themselves vs a family name

Puppies

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:08 pm
Please use the other thread to discuss the copying issue.

Here I’d just like to hear the names.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:10 pm
I've heard of someone born on Succos and her parents were deciding if they should name her Lulava or Etroga, thankfully they settled on Hadassah

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:26 pm
The name liel - mine from gd

amother
NeonOrange

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:26 pm
I started a thread like this once. Didn’t get too many responses. Maybe people are afraid of being IDed?

I think it depends on the circles. I have a Sinai which is super unusual in my circles but common in others.

amother
Zinnia

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:28 pm
Jewish names I've only known one person with:

Girls:

Neshama
Shivtiya שבתיה
Tor תור
Zimra
Doria
Sinaia

Boys:

Nahalal

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:29 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
I've heard of someone born on Succos and her parents were deciding if they should name her Lulava or Etroga, thankfully they settled on Hadassah

I have a cousin born on rosh hashana and they kept saying they would name her Rimona (made me think of the Beverly Cleary books lol) but they went with Dina in the end

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:35 pm
Itai
Yechezkela
Rona
Shefatya
Tzefanya
Don
We are chasidish.
I’m assuming that names I find typical would sound equally unique in another setting

amother
Oldlace

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:49 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
The name liel - mine from gd

Liel is a fairly common name in certain circles especially in Israel but in other countries too. What surprised me is that in Israel Liel can sometimes be a boy.
It means God is mine.
Mine from God would be Lime’el, in case you’re looking for a really unique name.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 6:58 pm
Maybe an uncommon combination?

Like Meir Yissochar or Shulamis Miriam

And they go by both names ?
I admit I would be weirded out if I named my kid
efraim shalom and called him that and then a sibling did the same (unless it was after an efraim shalom )

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:07 pm
I just read about a lawsuit against Harvard filed by a current Jewish student named Shabbos (Kestenbaum). I've never heard of anyone else named Shabbos.

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:22 pm
I have never met someone else with the names of my children. I know of at most only one living person for each of my kids’ names, but not personally. I know very few people with my name, although it’s not unheard of.

Some names I’ve only heard once before (and maybe I chose to use them for my kids and maybe not…)
Migdan
Moshiach
Papa
Rachish
Aila
Aliyah
Tzruya

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:24 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
I have never met someone else with the names of my children. I know of at most only one living person for each of my kids’ names, but not personally. I know very few people with my name, although it’s not unheard of.

Some names I’ve only heard once before (and maybe I chose to use them for my kids and maybe not…)
Migdan
Moshiach
Papa
Rachish
Aila
Aliyah
Tzruya

I know an Aliyah!
Also noga

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:26 pm
amother NeonOrange wrote:
I started a thread like this once. Didn’t get too many responses. Maybe people are afraid of being IDed?

I think it depends on the circles. I have a Sinai which is super unusual in my circles but common in others.

It's heard of in chasidish circles. It's a last name as well.
No clue how they spell it.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:27 pm
I know of a Tehalelya. As in כל הנשמה תהלל '-ה.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Jan 29 2024, 7:41 pm
My daughter's name is very unique in our circles. It's not traditionally Jewish and it exists in the non-Jewish world too.

As of now, she is one of a kind and people make us very aware of it lol

If any of my siblings used it, it would be a clear copy. I don't think we'd mind. I also don't think they'd want to.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names