Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Cutoff dates?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:02 am
What are the cutoffs for girls schools and boys schools? I heard it’s now earlier than it was, like before December?

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:05 am
Not every school has them, and they can go in an individual child basis
I have a December son who we held back, but that’s an obvious one
He’s not the oldest in his class by far (he’s in 3rd grade now)
He has boys who’s birthdays are September to November and even one august!

Every child is different, but just be careful that you’re not pushing ahead because of academics, because that’s not nearly as important as social skills

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:28 am
Thank you I didn’t realize the cutoff was so flexible

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:43 am
Some schools have hard cut offs it's not flexible, you have to find out about the specific ones you want to apply to.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 9:57 am
For boys, December is not considered holding back. Most people are holding back October & November and I know some people choose to even hold back September under certain circumstances. In my school, the evaluate any child born after Sept 1 to make sure they are ready. I think Sept. & Oct are still given the choice and they are hesitant to take a November kid unless you have valid reason to send.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:00 am
A lot also depends on the interview, if you have shy quiet kid that presents as less mature the school and they’re on the younger end they might push holding back faster than if they’re more social and responsive at the interview.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:02 am
I don't think it's that schools have a flexible cutoff as much as it's parents choosing to "hold back" as it is developmentally beneficial to their children. Boys especially, where are extra year means one year later getting up for the minyan bus, one year later starting gemara and mishnayos... Where there is another year of development and maturity before beginning significant milestones making it easier on the child

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:13 am
It depends on the school. My kids schools will still take for December. You would need to contact the schools you plan to apply to.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:18 am
amother Jade wrote:
I don't think it's that schools have a flexible cutoff as much as it's parents choosing to "hold back" as it is developmentally beneficial to their children. Boys especially, where are extra year means one year later getting up for the minyan bus, one year later starting gemara and mishnayos... Where there is another year of development and maturity before beginning significant milestones making it easier on the child

But it ends up being a cycle.
I have a September 2 son that we put ahead. (He turned 5 the first week of primary.)
I don't regret it at all but I'm constantly observing the dynamics because he has boys in his class who are a full year older.

My early November son, I would have wanted to put ahead. He was socially and academically ready. But I couldn't do it because he would be in the same class as boys 15 months older than him (July and August).
So I held him back and he's not the oldest. He's around the 5th oldest.

But the cycle ends up continuing because his class is older so the standards become "higher".
It's not even that the Rebbi is challenging them past their capabilities. It's that the children themselves are learning, pushing, asking.
A December kid (13 months younger than my November kid) will likely not be able to keep up socially and academically.

If course I'm stereotyping. But im going with the typical developing child.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 10:53 am
amother Lightgreen wrote:
But it ends up being a cycle.
I have a September 2 son that we put ahead. (He turned 5 the first week of primary.)
I don't regret it at all but I'm constantly observing the dynamics because he has boys in his class who are a full year older.

My early November son, I would have wanted to put ahead. He was socially and academically ready. But I couldn't do it because he would be in the same class as boys 15 months older than him (July and August).
So I held him back and he's not the oldest. He's around the 5th oldest.

But the cycle ends up continuing because his class is older so the standards become "higher".
It's not even that the Rebbi is challenging them past their capabilities. It's that the children themselves are learning, pushing, asking.
A December kid (13 months younger than my November kid) will likely not be able to keep up socially and academically.

If course I'm stereotyping. But im going with the typical developing child.

You didn’t put your kid ahead. You kept him where he belongs.

I hate this trend of holding kids back. If there’s no reason to, they should be in the appropriate class. I have two November children who are the youngest in their classes and are flourishing. I had to fight to get kindergartens to take them but as they got older (they’re now in HS and upper elementary) the teachers could never believe that they were the youngests.

Now I have another November baby but the cutoff was changed so she will be the oldest, entering primary at almost 6, which I think is stupid. She’s ready and doesn’t need another year of playgroup. She’ll be bored. And that means that when the time comes iyH she’ll be almost 19 when she goes to seminary! And we all know what that means for shidduchim LOL

amother
Lightgreen

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 11:01 am
amother Maroon wrote:
You didn’t put your kid ahead. You kept him where he belongs.

I hate this trend of holding kids back. If there’s no reason to, they should be in the appropriate class. I have two November children who are the youngest in their classes and are flourishing. I had to fight to get kindergartens to take them but as they got older (they’re now in HS and upper elementary) the teachers could never believe that they were the youngests.

Now I have another November baby but the cutoff was changed so she will be the oldest, entering primary at almost 6, which I think is stupid. She’s ready and doesn’t need another year of playgroup. She’ll be bored. And that means that when the time comes iyH she’ll be almost 19 when she goes to seminary! And we all know what that means for shidduchim LOL

But it's not really where they belong if it's not their peer group.
If the peer group is from August '16-August '17 pushing a November '17 child in to the class is often not fair and not appropriate, even if the schools official deadline is November '17.
This child is 15 months younger than some of his classmates.

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:15 pm
If the peer group is from August '16-August '17 pushing a November '17 child in to the class is often not fair and not appropriate, even if the schools official deadline is November '17.

That’s my point. This whole system of holding kids back is stupid and doesn’t benefit anyone because the youngest keeps getting older.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:37 pm
My kids school divides by birthday. So the kids are all within an 8-9 month range regardless of whether parents decide to hold back.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Jan 18 2024, 12:41 pm
Many schools divide by birthday like PP said. My son is January and his classmates are September - January. My daughter is late september. There are girls in her class more than a year older than her. I wish all schools separated by birthday, especially with younger kids. It makes a big difference. Dd started kindergarten when she was still 3 and other girls were already five.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries