Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Pizza from Challah Dough

pleaseadvice

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:17 am
Could you use Challah dough to make pizza? from High Gluten flour?

If yes I would like to make the usual 5lb challah dough and divide some for Challah & some dough for pizza to store in freezer.

Has anyone tried it? recommend it?

Please advice.

thanks,

nicole81

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:29 am
You could, but it wouldn't taste so much like pizza unless you make water challah.

I've done the reverse, had extra pizza dough and braided it for shabbat and it tasted like a pizza crust challah. I'd imagine yours would taste like sauce and cheese over challah crust.

scruffy

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 9:31 am
I've done it when I have extra challah dough and it's ok but I much prefer pizza dough.

You can make extra challah dough into babka and it's delicious.

pleaseadvice

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:00 am
What's wrong with using the challah dough the high gluten flour?

you recommend regular flour for pizza dough?

pleaseadvice

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:01 am
What's the best flour for Pizza?

kenz

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:22 am
I do this all the time, my kids love it. It’s a big treat. I make discs and put it in the Betty Crocker or a rectangle in a 9x13 and bake it.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:24 am
I find High Gluten brings the taste up a notch for pizza. I would experiment with a little piece of dough first and see how you like it. I've never used challah dough for pizza before.
Be aware that if you're freezing a certain amount of the dough, there may be a question about taking challah with a brocha. Just fyi.

pleaseadvice

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 11:48 am
Kenz - you do it with High Gluten Flour?

rivkie123

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 12:10 pm
I do it sometimes but my challah dough doesn't have eggs in it. Don't know if that makes a difference

mamaleh

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 12:25 pm
We do this all the time -regular challah recipe w/ high gluten flour. If my kids want pizza on a day we make challah, they take a piece & make it. Yum!

nicole81

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:31 pm
rivkie123 wrote:
I do it sometimes but my challah dough doesn't have eggs in it. Don't know if that makes a difference

It does. Like I said above, unless it's water challah, it's not gonna be nearly the same.

High gluten flour is best for pizza dough as well, as it needs to stretch. But eggs and the amount of oil and sugar in most challah is going to be way too much for normative pizza dough.

ddmom

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:37 pm
I do it very often!!!
I'll usually use 10lbs of flour. Use some for challa, some for pizza and some cinnamon rugelachs!
True my challa dough is not very sweet! (No eggs, 1/2 c oil and 1/2 sugar for 5lbs of flour!) We love it! Both pizza and challa come out delicious! I get compliments all the time.

sweet

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 2:59 pm
Thurs night supper here, lol
Bonus is I save money and family likes it way better then bought pizza!

I do 5 lb dough I braid 3 strands.
Usually get 3 challahs
4-6 bilkelach
And get 3 betty crocker sized pizzas.

(I do put 4 eggs in my challsh dough, 1 cup oil and 1 cup sugar...) but still not overly sweet.

Happydance

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:10 pm
Ask a Shaila about making the Brocha on taking challah if the dough is split for two purposes
I was told not to

kenz

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:12 pm
pleaseadvice wrote:
Kenz - you do it with High Gluten Flour?

Yup. I make a recipe with 6 lb of flour so taking off a little for pizza doesn’t affect the brachah. I usually flatten the dough into a pan and put parchment paper on it and then another pan on top so it doesn’t rise too much and keep it in the fridge till it’s time to make the pizza. My kids absolutely love it.

kenz

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:13 pm
Happydance wrote:
Ask a Shaila about making the Brocha on taking challah if the dough is split for two purposes
I was told not to

I don’t split it, I just take off a small amount. But certainly everyone should ask their own she’eilos.

kenz

Post Wed, Jan 17 2024, 4:15 pm
nicole81 wrote:
It does. Like I said above, unless it's water challah, it's not gonna be nearly the same.

High gluten flour is best for pizza dough as well, as it needs to stretch. But eggs and the amount of oil and sugar in most challah is going to be way too much for normative pizza dough.

My challah dough has 1.5 cups oil, 2 cups sugar, and 7 eggs. Again, everyone loves the pizza.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads