Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
80's and 90's Jewish music
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 10:52 pm
S/o of the Yehuda! thread. What did you listen to? What did you love? Or what have you discovered of it since then?

We were obsessed with the Tzlil V'Zemer "Btzeis Yisrael" album in the early 90's. The song got spoofed about yeshivos in Eretz Yisrael (Mir Bei Yisrael, Chofetz Chaim, Ner Yaakov, Toras Toras Moshe...)

Miami was everything, and they and Dveykus had such great harmonies that you could actually figure out and sing. And when the first Yisroel Williger album came out mid nineties, it was a big deal, so different- I loved Hu Klal and Da Hu.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:06 pm
We had tapes of the Hasc concert. Great way to get a little bit of everything.

I always get the warm and fuzzies when I see that Abraham Fried is k"h still going strong. He's one of the first famous singers I knew of and it's amazing that he's still at the top of the field. And it's no wonder, because he puts in such sincere heart and soul.

amother
Blushpink

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:56 pm
Journeys albums 1-3 and yes the Dveykus albums, they have beautiful songs. I enjoy listening to them much more than most of the songs of today….

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jan 10 2024, 11:57 pm
Yehuda, Safam, and some Journeys songs are my favorites.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:16 am
I think the song "yes we've got the music" from Journeys 3 sums it up perfectly.

Choirmistress

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 12:23 am
I was following Jewish music before it even became tainted with "rock and roll" influences. Let's just say I'm old enough to remember Yismechu HaShamayim, Dovid Melech Yisrael, Ur'ei Vonim, Kel N'kamos Hashem,...
So what's on my iPod's playlist? Some secular tunes, sure, but mostly:
Yeshiva groups (for adult voices) and NY/London/Miami/Toronto (Schools of Jewish Song, Pirchei);
Rabbis' Sons
D'veykus
Shalsheles
Lev Tahor
Hashiveinu
I have never been a big follower of most of my acquaintances' or relatives' "big name" favourites (MBD, Dachs, Simcha, Carlebach, Fried, etc.). Even though I probably have a favourite of at least one of the songs of each of them. I have eclectic and varied taste.
I would have to do an Internet search to confirm, but I think that even the two secular instrumental tunes that I play in my mind's ear as surefire anti-earworms were both composed by Jews:
Acapulco 1922 (Herb Alpert); and
Soul Coaxing (no, not the original French Ame Caline with sung lyrics) originally by Michel Polnareff, and covered by several pop orchestras.

amother
Electricblue

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 2:16 am
Quote:
Yeshiva groups (for adult voices) and NY/London/Miami/Toronto (Schools of Jewish Song, Pirchei);

Yes! We had most of the Pircheis. Some on tapes, some on records.

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 3:40 am
I grew up on Devaykus, Shlock Rock, Journeys, the Miami Boys Choir, and the Piamentas, plus Uncle Moishy, Country Yossi, and The Marvelous Middos Machine when we were younger.

Rappel

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 4:14 am
Everything y'all said. And no one's mentioned MBD yet!

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 6:18 am
Hasc concerts, Ohel, Mbd, Avraham Fried, later on Shalsheles. Dveykus, Aish, Uncle Moishy, Kivi and Tuki, Marvellous Midos Machine, Dedi, Mbd, Yehuda, Ira Heller, Miami boys Choir, these are just a few. Mt family loves music!

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:08 am
Rappel wrote:
Everything y'all said. And no one's mentioned MBD yet!

Sideways, as part of hasc concerts and "we've got the music" (mbd,mbd, MBD!)

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:38 am
I did, nobody can forget him!

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:54 am
Does anyone remember "Judea"
They sang jewish themed songs in english.
"I Must Go To Shir"
"Judea Your in My Heart"

Beingreal

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 7:59 am
Tzlil V'zemer also!

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 8:03 am
My neighbors used to listen to Amudei sheish all the time and the mitzvah tree records (not tapes.. records!)

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 8:29 am
Anyone remember the Lashon hara tape, Car 94?
And the safety tape?
How can I get those?

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:16 am
amother Opal wrote:
Anyone remember the Lashon hara tape, Car 94?
And the safety tape?
How can I get those?

I have the safety one!

amother
Crystal

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:20 am
I was very into girls concerts and women singers. Rochel miller, penina klaver, ruti navon, Kineret, Julia Blum…. Plus school choirs…This is in the 80’s

Funny that I was really a big fan of the female singers back then and now I’m not following at all. I know a few female singers now but mostly because I have teenage daughters.

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:42 am
amother Crystal wrote:
I have the safety one!

What is it called? And do they still sell it?

amother
Opal

Post Thu, Jan 11 2024, 9:48 am
amother Crystal wrote:
I was very into girls concerts and women singers. Rochel miller, penina klaver, ruti navon, Kineret, Julia Blum…. Plus school choirs…This is in the 80’s

Funny that I was really a big fan of the female singers back then and now I’m not following at all. I know a few female singers now but mostly because I have teenage daughters.

Kineret! Salamya salama.... (probably got the words wrong 🙈)
Mama. Mama you know I love you...

Julia Bloom! There's a princess who lived in a faraway land. Royal but loved...

I just got so nostalgic.
Where can I hear these?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts