Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Please help! Day #3
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 11:52 am
Hi
So I'm on to day 3 of toilet training my 24 month old dd.
Day 1 she used the toilet twice and then many wet +2 dirty ccidents
Day 2 she used the toilet 3 times and only 2 wet accidents
This morning she woke up with a dirty diaper, then had a wet accident. No toilet jobs yet.

Can anyone please help me with some practical tips??
Her morah won't allow coming in panties unless there was one perfect day with zero accidents. I feel like that is almost impossible over a weekend. I work! Am I supposed to take a week off for this?

For those who will say she's too young, I disagree. Besides, I already started and feel like day one to day two was real progress and it's a pity to stop now
Otoh, sending her to morah in pull-ups is like giving up, imo. ( Right now shes bare bottomed around the house)Why would she not use it?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 8:40 pm
So today was 2 wet accidents, 2 toilet trips.
No dirty whatsoever

Please help! Is she holding it all in?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 8:42 pm
Are you giving her tons to drink to force her to need the bathroom?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 8:47 pm
maybe shes too young
24 months is really young

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 8:49 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
Are you giving her tons to drink to force her to need the bathroom?

I'm trying
But she is a smart little girl. She wants to drink at her own choice, pace and time
What more can I do?

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm trying
But she is a smart little girl. She wants to drink at her own choice, pace and time
What more can I do?

Honestly if you only have 3 days to do it she might not be ready. I know it's not what you want to hear but sorry Sad

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm trying
What more can I do?

Make it exciting to drink, buy sweet drinks, fun cups etc. so you get a lot of opportunities to practice tomorrow.
I'm actually toilet training my DC now as well Smile

You can also try "practice", each time she has an accident, practice running from different places around the house to the toilet. Go through the motions with her quickly, running to the toilet, pulling down wet underwear, sitting down, standing up, and going to the next location. Do this several times.

You can also do "dry checks", ask her several times each hour if she is dry, have her check her underwear and give a reward for staying dry. If she's wet, do the practice.

These ideas are from the book "toilet training in one day" and my kid didn't have any accidents today (day 3)

amother
Bone

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:31 pm
Please be kind with your daughter. She may not be ready and will be ready in as little as 2 months

Make sure not to get angry at her for her accidents as it can cause psychological issues! Specifically with potty training. It shouldn’t be stressful. Just try again soon.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:32 pm
I pushed my oldest to toilet train when he wasn’t ready, and he had accidents for 8 months straight. He wasn’t ready
DON’T PUSH IT!
All my subsequent kids, I toilet trained them when they were ready. It took no more than a few days

Why must you toilet train her at such a young age? I find many first time moms try to “push up” their kids, making them older than they are.
Yes you can give up now. That’s not called quitting, that’s called doing what’s best for your daughter

Rene:)

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:41 pm
amother Bone wrote:
Please be kind with your daughter. She may not be ready and will be ready in as little as 2 months

Make sure not to get angry at her for her accidents as it can cause psychological issues! Specifically with potty training. It shouldn’t be stressful. Just try again soon.

I made this Confused mistake. Started toilet training my first when she was just two and in hindsight was too early. I still feel guilty about it. I would get so angry when she would have an accident, because I was working so hard. Poor kid, she probably just wasn't ready. Once I started I definitely didn't want to back down and admit defeat! My next 2 kids, I did it two and a half, and worked much better. I also changed my motto. I closed doors with carpets and didn't stress or work hard "forcing drinks", that way I didn't get so upset when an accident happened.

Good Luck! Going to toilet train any day so good luck to me too!

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:41 pm
Do not give up it's the most confusing thing for them. She is definitely ready just takes more time that young. I did it with my boys then. Just stay home 2 more days and shld be good. It's so worth it! Also u can put those extra absorbent undies on her in begining so a little trickle won't make a puddle

amother
Pear

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:43 pm
Pushing them too hard when they aren’t ready yet just causes issues later. I’d stop and try agin in a few months. It won’t cause issues to stop this young.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:53 pm
Gosh
These responses are too confusing
Don't push it you'll regret it
Don't stop you'll confuse her
She isn't ready

But why isn't she ready? Doesn't the progress I mentioned mean something?

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 9:57 pm
Sorry! It is confusing, and it's always hard so hugs! I think she may or may not be ready. You're the mother, so you decide, but it may be that if you would wait a bit longer, it would happen sooner with less accidents and stress.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:01 pm
Rene:) wrote:
Sorry! It is confusing, and it's always hard so hugs! I think she may or may not be ready. You're the mother, so you decide, but it may be that if you would wait a bit longer, it would happen sooner with less accidents and stress.

But how do imdecide if she's not ready?
Im so lost
I don't know what to do

amother
Peachpuff

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Im so lost
I don't know what to do

What makes you think she IS ready?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Gosh
These responses are too confusing
Don't push it you'll regret it
Don't stop you'll confuse her
She isn't ready

But why isn't she ready? Doesn't the progress I mentioned mean something?

OP, if your daughter wouldnt have school tomorrow, and you wouldn't have work, would you consider stopping?
If the answer is no, then I think you should continue for another few days and see how it goes.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
Im so lost
I don't know what to do

1. Is she very verbal?
2. Does she talk about making on the toilet?
3. Is she exposed to others in her playgroup who are toilet trained already?
4. Does she WANT to be toilet trained now?
5. Is completely indifferent?
6. Does she notice when she has an accident?
7. Does it bother her, make her physically uncomfortable?

What made you decide she IS ready? 24 months is very young in the US (I know in Europe they toilet train earlier)

amother
Peony

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:40 pm
I tried to toilet train my oldest at 2 because, well, obviously it was time to train him then.

Did it Shabbos and Sunday and then gave up, put him back in diapers, sent him to school on Monday. His morah didn't seem surprised, even though I'd told her I'd train him over the weekend. She admitted that she didn't think he was ready but I didn't want to hear that. (She was right.)

Six months later, I tried again. After all, he was 2.5 and must obviously be ready. Right?

He wasn't. It was frustrating for him and for me.

Six months later, I tried again. He was already three! Three is SO OLD to start, right?

He had a single accident. And then never again for MONTHS. (He had one or two as time went on, very rarely, when he didn't get to the bathroom quickly enough for some reason, but very rare.) He was trained with barely any work on my part.

My friends who had "trained" their kids earlier were dealing with accidents for months. They were constantly making their kids use the bathroom. Their kids weren't trained, they were. My 3 year old, once he was trained, barely needed any reminders (except maybe before long trips). It was just a fact of life. They were having major power struggles with their toddlers long after mine was trained.

With my others, I waited until age 3 (except for one who was obviously ready early and was desperate to train herself). Totally worth it. Not all of them were as easy as my oldest, but the power struggle and the endless accidents were not an issue. It's not worth rushing things just because you can. Kids forget things easily, you won't confuse them, it's fine.

Post Sun, Dec 31 2023, 10:47 pm
The reason I started so early with my first was 1. My mother was telling me that she's ready and that in the 'olden days' they trained way earlier (well obviously because they didn't have disposable diapers!)
and 2. Was excited to have her trained and tell everyone that she is trained.
BUT we all live and learn by ourselves. I don't think if someone would have told me to stop then, I would have listened. Learning as we go along is part of life
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training