Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Cookie scoop
1  2  Next

angelgirl

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:08 pm
Do you use or do you roll?

I roll but thinking maybe I would like to try cookie scoops. Can you use for things like kneidlach as well?

mom2mysouls

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:14 pm
I bake cookies weekly for many years. Never used a cookie scoop.
It's prob better only for softer doughs. But I tend to refrigerate or freeze 1/2 hr so I can work with it.

bargainlover

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:16 pm
Been using a cookie scoop for over 10 years
Wouldn’t go back to rolling
It’s a game changer. Makes it so much easier to get the cookie dough into balls

cholentfan1

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:24 pm
Forgive my ignorance, is a cookie scoop the same thing as an ice-cream scoop? It sounds really cool. Can anyone post a link?

Dev80

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 3:27 pm
I love my oxo cookie scoop. It's usually smaller than an ice cream scoop. I use it for matza balls and meatballs too (I'll cover it with plastic for the meatballs so they're not perfect but uniform in size for the most part).
I find it to take a lot less time than rolling cookies and is one of those kitchen gadgets I enjoy! And I use the bigger size (ice cream scoop size) to fill my muffin cups

angelgirl

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 4:58 pm
Great thanks!

YounginBP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:02 pm
Yes! Oxo 3 T is great for cupcakes and muffins
I use the 1 1/2 for cookies all the time. It's a bit large. A 1 T is better!

YounginBP

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:05 pm
cholentfan1 wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, is a cookie scoop the same thing as an ice-cream scoop? It sounds really cool. Can anyone post a link?

I have these, I just don't know how to match up the sizes.
I went by the measurements in the scoop. I can't see it on the pic

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Gri.....w_wcB

way2go

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:17 pm
YounginBP wrote:
I have these, I just don't know how to match up the sizes.
I went by the measurements in the scoop. I can't see it on the pic

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Gri.....w_wcB

Fill a measuring spoon with water and pour it into the scoop. Then you can see how much it holds

bargainlover

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 5:23 pm
YounginBP wrote:
Yes! Oxo 3 T is great for cupcakes and muffins
I use the 1 1/2 for cookies all the time. It's a bit large. A 1 T is better!

1.5 is the medium scoop, that’s the one I use for cookies

mommyhood

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 6:14 pm
Love cookie scoops! I have the small and medium and would never go back to rolling cookies. My kids will even scoop out the cookies for me because it’s fun for them. It’s also great for filling mini muffin tins, I use ice cream size for regular size muffin tins.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 28 2023, 6:32 pm
I use a spoon. I couldn't care less if my cookies aren't perfectly round, and I don't like having a shmillion single-function tools. I have an ice cream scoop because I once broke a regular spoon trying to scoop out rock-hard ice cream.

ceebea

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:07 pm
It's the little things that make life so much easier. I also recommend unique measuring cups and spoons like the pioneer woman has. Its so great to have a 2 cup measuring cup or a 3 tbsp measure to make everything go more seamlessly. It takes only an extra 5 seconds to scoop a second cup of sugar but it's worth it to have the convenience to me.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:23 pm
ceebea wrote:
It's the little things that make life so much easier. I also recommend unique measuring cups and spoons like the pioneer woman has. Its so great to have a 2 cup measuring cup or a 3 tbsp measure to make everything go more seamlessly. It takes only an extra 5 seconds to scoop a second cup of sugar but it's worth it to have the convenience to me.

Measuring cups are a must but if you have a small kitchens and limited storage space one needs to think twice before buying every kitchen gadget.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:25 pm
zaq wrote:
I use a spoon. I couldn't care less if my cookies aren't perfectly round, and I don't like having a shmillion single-function tools. I have an ice cream scoop because I once broke a regular spoon trying to scoop out rock-hard ice cream.

ITA
Not crazy about singles function tools unless I really use them often

angelgirl

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:37 pm
Hmm you are right about single function. I don’t have lots of space.
I do use two spoons for some cookies- why haven’t I thought to do that for all dough? I do it for the very sticky ones.

mommyhood

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 3:50 pm
I have a very small kitchen but the amount of time the cookie scoop saves me is well worth the space. It’s not a big appliance, it’s the size of a can opener. For me it’s not about the nicer looking cookie's, I don’t take the time to make sure the scoops are perfect however it comes out is good enough , it’s purely convenience.

angelgirl

Post Tue, Jan 02 2024, 5:55 pm
mommyhood wrote:
I have a very small kitchen but the amount of time the cookie scoop saves me is well worth the space. It’s not a big appliance, it’s the size of a can opener. For me it’s not about the nicer looking cookie's, I don’t take the time to make sure the scoops are perfect however it comes out is good enough , it’s purely convenience.

Very helpful perspective- thank you!

ceebea

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:34 pm
mommyhood wrote:

I completely agree with you and feel the same way about my unique measuring spoons and cups (2 tsp, 2 tbsp, 3 tbsp, 6 tbsp, 2 cup). They are worth the space for the time they save me. Streamlining everything makes my life so much easier.

cholentfan1

Post Wed, Jan 03 2024, 5:43 pm
Hmmm, I don't use measuring cups anymore as I find it easier to use disposable spoons and cups. I know how much each equals and it's so much easier than washing up my measuring cups.
But I do like the look of these cookie scoops and it sounds like it would be a time saver. Does the cookie dough get stuck in the scoop or does it always come out smoothly?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins