Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Find me a school!! Urgent!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:01 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
If your child has language based learning issues, there is the Shefa School in NYC. It's a pluralistic school, so you have students with peyes and girls who wear pants. The classes are coed. I am aware that they take children who have ADHD and many of them are exceptionally bright. My understanding is that they focus on the whole child--academics and social aspects. May not be for you, but may also be worth checking out.

Thanks.
Her language skills (all categories- written, reading etc) are in the "above average" to the "superior" range. So not sure it would be appropriate...what do you think since you know the school?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:03 am
amother Charcoal wrote:
There are some speci needs schools that will work with high functioning, academically advanced kids. Since they're smaller, they can group those kids together and appropriately challenge them. A year or two in that setting can allow the child to then confidently go back to mainstream. I wouldn't discount the possibility.

What schools?!

I am asking for specific names of schools to look into. Not vague "I have heard of schools like this". Names.

amother
Honey

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:06 am
OP is the adhd very relevant? I think that’s why you’re getting info about schools for kids with special needs. Sounds like she’s getting bullied and needs a school who will be warm and help with that.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:07 am
It might be worth it to check into Tiferet of Teaneck, a pod school program for elementary girls. Very small class size, individualized learning paths, lots of social/emotional skills teaching.
You can email tiferetofteaneck@gmail.com for more information.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:10 am
amother Steel wrote:
Welcome to the world of twice exceptional kids.
I'm sorry I can't offer you any practical advice about schools but just wanted to send you sympathy and love. It's so very, very difficult. We put in a million times more than other people and just get criticized.

It's impossible. Special ed is way too low functioning. Regular ed leaves them unprovided for. You're right that your best bet is a small regular school who give a lot of help.

Thanks. I so appreciate the understanding. I just can't be criticized any more. I am doing my best. If someone tells me "well just get the kid OT/speech/social skills help/this item/do that" I am going to scream. Once I start to tell people everything I have done and advocated for they back off. But why do I need to defend myself?

I am willing to travel across the country and move to get her a school!! Does that say enough?!?
Hugs to you too!!

amother
Alyssum

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:19 am
Bais yakkov of bay parkway? In bensonhurst brookln? I have seen it advertised on this platform before... not sure of it exactly, but it always says , small class sizes..etc look into it

amother
Apple

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:31 am
amother Alyssum wrote:
Bais yakkov of bay parkway? In bensonhurst brookln? I have seen it advertised on this platform before... not sure of it exactly, but it always says , small class sizes..etc look into it

That's where my daughter goes to now, and I do believe it's a wonderful school. She is really gaining tremendously, but many of the girls there do have learning challenges and the main classroom subjects have to be catered to them too. I love the small class sizes, the individual attention, the way they teach social skills, and cater to each kid's need, but I believe as the girls get older, the academic difference between their school and a mainstream school just keep on growing bigger.

amother
Rainbow

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:40 am
I don’t have experience with this, but is it possible that you simply need a different school, rather than one that caters to ADHD/special needs? Some schools are better at addressing bullying and a variety of social needs than others and sometimes it’s just the dynamics of the kids. (My class in a large Brooklyn school had some really mean girls while other classes were a lot nicer.)

Or perhaps a school with a gifted program near you or schools catering to high functioning autistic kids (think Asperger’s of 20 years ago)? Both of those might be a good fit.

amother
Charcoal

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 7:46 am
amother OP wrote:
What schools?!

I am asking for specific names of schools to look into. Not vague "I have heard of schools like this". Names.

Sinai. They have multiple branches in NY and NJ. I have a child similar to yours who was mainstreamed into 5th grade after spending 2nd-4th in Sinai.

amother
Latte

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 8:19 am
Honesty I feel you I am going through the same thing right now But my child has a severe learning disability and for that I found a school that I am hoping will be the answer for us . I would not only look into different schools but look into that class in that school. my kids go to an amazing school but there have been issues in a grade here and there you can’t always fully prevent it. I Would say what is your main priority for her. The social the adhd or A school with higher geared learning. I think gifted schools are a more rare thing in the Jewish community Unfortunately. But a lot of schools for the outher issues Might not be challenging enough for her. Have you tried someone who specializes in social skills to work one on one with her.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:25 pm
amother Honey wrote:
OP is the adhd very relevant? I think that’s why you’re getting info about schools for kids with special needs. Sounds like she’s getting bullied and needs a school who will be warm and help with that.

I said in my posts that it is very well managed with meds and she has no problems with academics. Actually is advanced in many areas. But the social side is difficult for her.

So I asked for either a school that caters to this OR a school with small class sizes, that's warm, and open to helping her.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 22 2023, 2:50 pm
BEFORE ANYONE ELSE POSTS, PLEASE READ:
I want to clarify what I am looking for. Apparently I was not very clear or people just saw the word "ADHD" and said "she needs special ed". She is very high functioning. People don't know (besides school and therapists, OT etc) she has ADHD, they just see she has trouble socially.

I am looking for a new school for my daughter.
Either a special school that caters to her needs OR a warm welcoming school with small class sizes that is willing to help.
Please give names of schools and why you think it might work. Not just vague "maybe a school that has...". If it doesn't exist, it doesn't help.

She is very bright, scored quite high on language areas in the testing. She reads above grade level.

She does not need a special school for kids with learning disabilities. She is mainstreamed now but has difficulties with peer to peer interactions.

Do not tell me what other services I should give my twice exceptional child. She has been having loads of help, all out of pocket. That is not a question that we will continue to help her.

amother
Birch

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 3:35 am
amother Lightblue wrote:
If she’s neurodivergent, she’ll be taking her problems with her to any school.
Can she get more help in the social skills area?

Really not true. My daughter is neurodivergent I’ve moved her out of her boxed rules school into a Montessori school. She is thriving! The attitude there is you are accepted for who you are and taught to use your specific strengths.
Unfortunately it isn’t a Jewish school. But I feel emotional health is top priority.
Why can’t we accept people for whom they are????

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 6:12 pm
Bumping.
Are there no smaller warm schools out there? That can accept my child and help her without making her "the other"?
Anywhere in the USA. I am ok with very out of town...

mha3484

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 6:17 pm
Look at the bais yaakov in Chicago. I think it has the resources your looking for.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 6:34 pm
amother OP wrote:
Bumping.
Are there no smaller warm schools out there? That can accept my child and help her without making her "the other"?
Anywhere in the USA. I am ok with very out of town...

Louisville has a frum Montessori school. I don't send there but what I've read about it made a good impression.

But that's really very out of town.

Eta link
https://montessoritorah.org/

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 6:34 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Look at the bais yaakov in Chicago. I think it has the resources your looking for.

I would speak to a lot more parents who are dealing with similar issues before deciding on BY in Chicago. I am a current parent here and this has not been my experience at all.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 6:42 pm
amother Gladiolus wrote:
I would speak to a lot more parents who are dealing with similar issues before deciding on BY in Chicago. I am a current parent here and this has not been my experience at all.

Since this is anonymous can you please elaborate a little more? I know no one there to ask...

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 6:47 pm
amother Royalblue wrote:
Louisville has a frum Montessori school. I don't send there but what I've read about it made a good impression.

But that's really very out of town.

Eta link
https://montessoritorah.org/

Thank you!
Can you please tell me a little more about the school? Not too familiar with Montessori. Will it stop kids from being able to one day function in a classroom?

I am OK with out of town. As long as a shul, school for my kids, mikvah and food. I don't need a lot of amenities or huge community.

ETA- doesn't seem to be a frum high school 😕. Is that true?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sat, Dec 23 2023, 6:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you!
Can you please tell me a little more about the school? Not too familiar with Montessori. Will it stop kids from being able to one day function in a classroom?

I am OK with out of town. As long as a shul, school for my kids, mikvah and food. I don't need a lot of amenities or huge community.

I do some of their graphics. Montessori is about - iiuc - independent learning at each child's own pace and level. They teach in a different way than a typical school to encourage that learning. There's also no 1st grade 2nd grade etc, they're in levels and each level is a few years.

Their website should have some info that might help, but I think you can call and talk to them and they'd be happy to answer all questions. The staff I've dealt with are really nice people.

And back to answer your Eta, it's very possible but it's also possible that they'll make one when the students there are ready for one. It's really worth talking to them to find out what they have to say.

And Eta that I messaged my client to ask what he thinks about if it would be a good fit, as well as to ask about any high school plans. I'll update if I can.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics