Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
My name is Rappel AMA
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

kenz

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 8:24 am
dena613 wrote:
Rappel, what a fascinating life!
Ali vehatzlichi!

I'm curious why you write in israeli/sefardi havarah if you are BY educated.

Also, how you've never head of ANY of the rabbonim who signed the kol korei. I'd assume you've heard of Some of them, or have recognized some last names, like Auerbach or Machpud (as in the sefardi hechsher).

I think perhaps what Rappel is describing as a normative BY upbringing was along JPF lines rather than yeshivish, which might somewhat explain the lack of awareness of mainstream Gedolim. I also find it interesting. I know of and respect many Rabbanim outside of my specific circles. But I’m also not nearly as busy!

Rappel, you sound extremely capable. Hashem should continue to give you ko’ach!

keym

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 8:33 am
kenz wrote:
I think perhaps what Rappel is describing as a normative BY upbringing was along JPF lines rather than yeshivish, which might somewhat explain the lack of awareness of mainstream Gedolim. I also find it interesting. I know of and respect many Rabbanim outside of my specific circles. But I’m also not nearly as busy!

Rappel, you sound extremely capable. Hashem should continue to give you ko’ach!

I disagree.
I think it's a time/generation thing.
Rappel seems to have gone through the BY system 15 years ago, maybe even longer. The Rabbanim mentioned when she was in school are no longer.
Im guessing she would know instantly who R Shmuel Kamenetzky and R Reuven Feinstein and R Aharon Feldman are, but not sure who R Dovid Goldberg is (RY Telshe Cleveland, became the RY in the past 15 years, currently on the Moetzes).
Similarly she probably was told stories in BY of R Elyashiv, R Shach, R Shteinman, but they're no more. R Dovid Landau and R Meir Tzvi Bergman (currently senior Chareidi RY in EY) were just not well known then

Rappel, I love the idea of a thread with names of Rabbanim and 1 liner definition - Chassidishe, yeshivish, Israeli, DL, etc, and what they're position is so others can place them.
You know Rosh Yeshiva of Ponevezh
Senior Rebbi in Porat Yosef
Rosh Yeshiva and Posek in Keren B'Yavne
That type to identify

happyness

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 8:34 am
Wow Rappel, I admire your way of living. You go after what inspires you and you live true self expression! Lucky you!

Rappel

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 9:07 am
keym wrote:
I disagree.
Rappel seems to have gone through the BY system 15 years ago, maybe even longer. The Rabbanim mentioned when she was in school are no longer.
Im guessing she would know instantly who R Shmuel Kamenetzky and R Reuven Feinstein and R Aharon Feldman are, but not sure who R Dovid Goldberg is (RY Telshe Cleveland, became the RY in the past 15 years, currently on the Moetzes).
Similarly she probably was told stories in BY of R Elyashiv, R Shach, R Shteinman, but they're no more. R Dovid Landau and R Meir Tzvi Bergman (currently senior Chareidi RY in EY) were just not well known then

Rappel, I love the idea of a thread with names of Rabbanim and 1 liner definition - Chassidishe, yeshivish, Israeli, DL, etc, and what they're position is so others can place them.
That type to identify

Bingo.

Yalla, start the thread?

keym

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 9:15 am
Rappel wrote:
Bingo.

Yalla, start the thread?

Started a thread.
I can't link it now, but it's under the safe haven asking respectfully about Jewish groups

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....40370

linked by mod

Food

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 9:22 am
Rappel wrote:
Can I tell you that your user icon makes me chuckle every time I see you post? Smile

I go anon when I share information that's truly private - info I would not share among my friends.

Otherwise, I'm very open here: as long as someone can verify for me that they're not an axe murderer, then I'm happy to give them my number, and meet them in real life.

I'm not an axe murderer. Can we be friends irl? Wink

Traveller247

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 10:59 am
Rappel wrote:
If my FIL is around, or the kids happen to be in school, then it's easy.

If I'm with my littles, and a critical call comes in, then I occasionally use my neighbors.

During peacetime, 90 percent of the calls happen in the middle of the night anyway, so if DH is there, I can go. He's going back to working a shift schedule after the war, so goodbye nights and shabbatot... But he'll hopefully complete his certificate to teach English soon, and then we'll go back to normal life.

Emergency preparedness. Hiding there were no instructions, no trainings. I took the international protocols for mass casualty incidents, adjusted then for our region, and then created a lot of protocols and instructions and plans so we would know what to do under different scenarios. I had to coordinate with the army and MDA, so they know, for example, where we would gather our injured, or which vehicles could theoretically be used as emergency transport vehicles under fire. I assembled a medical team from the nurses of the town, and taught them how to be an emergency trauma response force. I campaigned for donations, and designed and stocked an emergency medical supplies center. I also trained the general populace in first aid, and how to get help quickly in our region - key issues when you live in a rural community.

I actually really enjoyed the task. Management, team building, and impossible problems really suit me. I'm hoping I can find work in a similar context.

You are beyond cool!!!!

ChassidishMommy

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 11:16 am
Hi Rappel,
Your posts always had me intrigued, but I didn't know until this thread how friggin amazing you are!
The nerd in me is really curious about 2 things you wrote upthread, and I'd love it if you could expand.
You write that you "take some issue with DL tenets". If you don't mind elaborating, what are they and how are your views different?
Also, what's the archeological site in Itamar? I absolutely love Israeli archeological sites and have visited a few of the more popular ones. Would love to hear more.
And please, please do write about the hilltop youth!

grivky

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 12:50 pm
I haven’t read through the whole thing, but I have a question for you!!!
Bh I gave birth on Nov 1 and I shared a room at Laniado with a sweet young couple from Itamar who had a baby boy on the same day. (Bris was likely on Nov 8) I’m curious if you know what they named their baby! Baby names these days have been giving me so much chizzuk… Amichai, Oz….

I don’t remember their names completely but this is what I do remember.
They have a family run moving company with עבודה ישראלית
Husbands name was Yonatan.
I think her name was Zohar or some other type of name with “light”.
Last name starts with a ה.. ashkenazi sounding.
It’s their second kid (first kid is about 17 months or so- also a boy, I think…)
Either his family or her family is from Itamar and the other side from Tapuach. Do you know them?

Rappel

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 1:17 pm
ChassidishMommy wrote:
Hi Rappel,
Your posts always had me intrigued, but I didn't know until this thread how friggin amazing you are!
The nerd in me is really curious about 2 things you wrote upthread, and I'd love it if you could expand.
You write that you "take some issue with DL tenets". If you don't mind elaborating, what are they and how are your views different?
Also, what's the archeological site in Itamar? I absolutely love Israeli archeological sites and have visited a few of the more popular ones. Would love to hear more.
And please, please do write about the hilltop youth!

1. I can answer that while standing on one foot: although philosophically I think we're in the process of geulah, I doesn't affect me halachically. Until we have a Sanhedrin, I'm going to keep following my mesorah of "galut Torah." This is outstandingly different from the rest of my community, which views the geulah as an obvious and present fact, and consequently considers major historical events like Yom Haatzmaut to have halachic significance. They also consider the state to be a ממלכת יהודית, with moderate halachic significance. I think that's a deep error, but hey -- it's not my kav.

2. Itamar has a virtually unexplored ancient site called Tel Hiyya. It's beautiful, and the kids here find (and destroy, unfortunately) fascinating artifacts. In the last two years, Bar Ilan University has taken an interest in it, and uncovered the edges of an amazing little city. In between digs, we're free to roam up there, so we get to experience all the sites before they get roped off and labeled. The caves and ancient houses are thrilling, and the view from the top of the Tel is spectacular.

Last edited by Rappel on Tue, Dec 19 2023, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Success10

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 1:20 pm
While we're already on the topic of taboo: Do you believe it's permitted to ascend Har Habayis?

keym

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 1:20 pm
Rappel wrote:
1. I can answer that while standing on one foot: although philosophically I think we're in the process of geulah, I doesn't affect me halachically. Until we have a Sanhedrin, I'm going to keep following my mesorah of "galut Torah." This is outstandingly different from the rest of my community, which views the geulah as an obvious and present fact, and consequently considers major historical events like Yom Haatzmaut to have halachic significance. They also consider the state to be a ממלכת יהודי, with moderate halachic significance. I think that's a deep error, but hey -- it's not my kav.

2. Itamar has a virtually unexplored ancient site called Tel Hiyya. It's beautiful, and the kids here find (and destroy, unfortunately) fascinating artifacts. In the last two years, Bar Ilan University has taken an interest in it, and uncovered the edges of an amazing little city. In between digs, we're free to roam up there, so we get to experience all the sites before they get roped off and labeled. The caves and ancient houses are thrilling, and the view from the top of the Tel is spectacular.

#1 is fascinating.
Can you expound more on halachic differences

Rappel

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 1:34 pm
grivky wrote:
I haven’t read through the whole thing, but I have a question for you!!!
Bh I gave birth on Nov 1 and I shared a room at Laniado with a sweet young couple from Itamar who had a baby boy on the same day. (Bris was likely on Nov 8) I’m curious if you know what they named their baby! Baby names these days have been giving me so much chizzuk… Amichai, Oz….

I don’t remember their names completely but this is what I do remember.
They have a family run moving company with עבודה ישראלית
Husbands name was Yonatan.
I think her name was Zohar or some other type of name with “light”.
Last name starts with a ה.. ashkenazi sounding.
It’s their second kid (first kid is about 17 months or so- also a boy, I think…)
Either his family or her family is from Itamar and the other side from Tapuach. Do you know them?

I'll answer you in a pm Smile

Rappel

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 1:41 pm
Success10 wrote:
While we're already on the topic of taboo: Do you believe it's permitted to ascend Har Habayis?

The Yalkut Yosef says no, until we can purify ourselves through the para adumah.

Some other poskim say yes.

Each person should follow their own kav faithfully.

So I'm waiting, and doing what I can to help.

ChassidishMommy

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 1:52 pm
Rappel wrote:
1. I can answer that while standing on one foot: although philosophically I think we're in the process of geulah, I doesn't affect me halachically. Until we have a Sanhedrin, I'm going to keep following my mesorah of "galut Torah." This is outstandingly different from the rest of my community, which views the geulah as an obvious and present fact, and consequently considers major historical events like Yom Haatzmaut to have halachic significance. They also consider the state to be a ממלכת יהודי, with moderate halachic significance. I think that's a deep error, but hey -- it's not my kav.

Thanks for answering, both equally fascinating!

L25

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 1:54 pm
keym wrote:
I disagree.

That type to identify

so interesting. as you say, I too know the older set of Gedolim but don't know the younger.

Coffee Addict

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 3:11 pm
Rappel, this thread is a fascinating read. Thanks for letting me get a glimpse of your interesting life Wink

caza

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 6:13 pm
It's is really fascinating to read and you seem like such a nice person.
Just a few q's
1. Do you feel safe living in Itamar?
2. Are you armed?

Rappel

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 8:12 pm
caza wrote:
It's is really fascinating to read and you seem like such a nice person.
Just a few q's
1. Do you feel safe living in Itamar?
2. Are you armed?

1. Yes, BH. It's a lovely community, the populace is very active, and (unfortunately, they learned by trial and error) today the security system is top notch.

2. Yes, though not in order to create #1. Wink I went to a protest once where we were shot at, and that's when I realized that I would want to return fire under a crisis situation. So I got it, since if I'm willing to use the tool, then I have a responsibility to protect people if the opportunity ever arises.

Einikel

Post Tue, Dec 19 2023, 8:14 pm
Rappel wrote:
1. Yes
2. Yes, though not in order to create #1. Wink I went to a protest once where we were shot at, and that's when I realized that I would want to return fire under a crisis situation. So I got it, since if I'm willing to use the tool, then I have a responsibility to protect people if the opportunity ever arises.

Where do you keep it so it's safe from your kids? It's my biggest fear. My husband is contemplating getting a gun license and I'm terrified of gun safety with little kids around.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics