Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Source for leaving kvittel under menorah

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 12:15 pm
I see it mentioned.
Does anyone actually have a source.

In a similar vein, I'm looking for sources that say that Chanuka is a time for tefillos, especially by the menorah.
My (Litvish) Rav said that he never came across anything, though tefilla can always help.

I'm looking for sources. Not anecdotes or stories

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 12:58 pm
It's a nice thing to do. There's no source
Reb biderman mentioned it to have a place to go back to count our blessing for things we davened for.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 1:13 pm
There is a source for Zos Chanuka being the last day to ensure a positive gzar din for the year. I think it originates with the Baal Shem Tov. It’s written in the Sefer Bnei Yissaschar. There’s a beautiful explanation from the Bas Ayin on the psukim in the story of Yehuda and Tamar that connects to this idea but it’s too long to write out. These are all chassidic sources.

Tshuva is a mitzva that can and should be done any day, but there are days we’re being judged and there’s a greater chance tshuva will be accepted. Those days start on Rosh Hashana. Most of us consider them finished on Hoshana Rabba or Shmini Atzeres, but according to this, today is the final day.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 1:20 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
There is a source for Zos Chanuka being the last day to ensure a positive gzar din for the year. I think it originates with the Baal Shem Tov. It’s written in the Sefer Bnei Yissaschar. There’s a beautiful explanation from the Bas Ayin on the psukim in the story of Yehuda and Tamar that connects to this idea but it’s too long to write out. These are all chassidic sources.

Tshuva is a mitzva that can and should be done any day, but there are days we’re being judged and there’s a greater chance tshuva will be accepted. Those days start on Rosh Hashana. Most of us consider them finished on Hoshana Rabba or Shmini Atzeres, but according to this, today is the final day.

Davening zos Chanuka, I know about.
But is it specifically in front of the menorah or the day? Is it all 8 days?

And the kvittel? Just a nice thing? Why not the kearah? The Sukka boards?
I want sources because I'm concerned about a world 20 years from now where (similar to kvatter) there's an obsession with something that has no source

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 1:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

I want sources because I'm concerned about a world 20 years from now where (similar to kvatter) there's an obsession with something that has no source

That ship has sailed op. You don’t have to be concerned about what’s going to be in 20 years from now. It’s now.
What you can do, or teach your kids to do, is to source things and have a rav that can answer your questions. In general you should teach kids that social media isn’t a place to get information on anything of a serious nature like medical or spiritual matters of significance.

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 1:38 pm
It’s brought down in the ohr hachaim I’ll try to get the source. Going to someplace kadosh on Zos chanuka aka the kosel. Since there are many ppl chutz laretz. We put it by a major kadosh aka the menorah.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 2:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

Kvatter has a source

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 2:42 pm
amother DarkYellow wrote:
Kvatter has a source

As a segula for having kids?

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 3:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
As a segula for having kids?

And parnassa

amother
DarkYellow

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 3:15 pm
As a Minhag. And I'm almost sure that as a Segula too.

amother
Winterberry

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 3:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

My sentiments exactly.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 3:43 pm
As a Minhag. And I'm almost sure that as a Segula too.

Afaik, the minhag comes because the mother is a nidda and can't hand the baby to the father.
So someone else should do it (except if the bris is delayed).

But can you please point me to a source that says that 1)it should be a married couple and 2)it's a segula for anything.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 11:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
Afaik, the minhag comes because the mother is a nidda and can't hand the baby to the father.
So someone else should do it (except if the bris is delayed).

But can you please point me to a source that says that 1)it should be a married couple and 2)it's a segula for anything.

I did read up on it and saw in a sefer that there is an Inyan that it should specifically be a male and a female, but I so not remember it saying it should be a couple specifically.
I can try to look it up again

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 11:17 pm
I did read up on it and saw in a sefer that there is an Inyan that it should specifically be a male and a female, but I so not remember it saying it should be a couple specifically.
I can try to look it up again

Which Sefer?
An inyan brought down by who?

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Dec 17 2023, 11:31 pm
I'd need to look it up again OP
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics