Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Anyone else no parties
Previous  1  2

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 8:39 pm
amother Oak wrote:
I have a sneaky suspicion that all these blowout parties are a result of the insidious infiltration of Christian culture. Chanukah is, in the grand scheme of things, a relatively minor Jewish holiday. It became a major one in the West, and especially in the US, as a result of exposure to the staggering Xmas-related festivities that made Jewish children feel deprived in comparison.

The parties are because its the easiest yom tov to have one.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 8:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
To those asking who needs a party?def not me. But dc do. Even to just tell friends.
To those not understanding this concept,we are probably from different circles.

Do something else for boasting rights. DH took the teens to the shooting range on Chanukah vacation…..

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:04 pm
My kids had none either. It did hurt for me to think about it, but their kids will have many iyh. They’ll have lovely cousins and loving grandparents

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:18 pm
If your family lives nearby why don’t you invite over for a party one night? Your teens can pitch in

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:22 pm
amother Salmon wrote:
If your family lives nearby why don’t you invite over for a party one night? Your teens can pitch in

This.

If you want a party, you can make one. If it doesn’t work for family, let your teens have a sleepover/party with friends.

amother
Burntblack

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 9:25 pm
amother Salmon wrote:

May you always be this blissfully naive. Not everyone has normal family. Not every family that lives nearby has a safe father/uncle to your kids…
Not every sibling talks to each other… just some examples

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 11:19 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
May you always be this blissfully naive. Not everyone has normal family. Not every family that lives nearby has a safe father/uncle to your kids…
Not every sibling talks to each other… just some examples

EXACTLY!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 11:20 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
Do something else for boasting rights. DH took the teens to the shooting range on Chanukah vacation…..

Love this idea thank you!

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Dec 14 2023, 11:23 pm
Next year, maybe find another family like you that has no party and invite them over for a party. A neighbor, friend, etc..

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 12:27 am
just want to tell you that I feel for you. it is very frustrating!!

justforfun87

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 1:16 pm
I made 1 little party for just my mom and sister and our kids. We were still busy throughout the week attending community events. I prefer that over gifts. Does your community have public menorah lightings? Just about every organization in Baltimore seems to do something.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 1:20 pm
I grew up similar to this. My father is a BT and we had very few cousins on my mothers side. It was very lonely!
Bh, our family is now tremendous. On both sides, my kids have more cousins than they can name or even recognize! Iyh your children will have tons of parties like mine do bh!

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 1:20 pm
No family parties this year. Most years we do something with my mother but shes recovering from surgery so not this year.

My oldest had a class party with just boys and a second one with their rebbe and so did my 9 year old.

Otherwise I try to make it fun at home.

I have work and they all have regular school so I'm happy not to have pressure to be out late every night.

writinggirl

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 1:51 pm
No family parties, though I had one at work. We went away for Chanukah and had a great time.

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Dec 15 2023, 2:25 pm
I don't have family or in-laws where we live. When the kids were little we took them to different Chanukah events, concerts etc and invited some friends for latkas.
They're late teens now so we just light and maybe have some doughnuts - then they usually go out and do their own things.
What you see on social media is not the norm.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics